CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
John Daras

Profile:
post pregnancy wife

Hi everyone, this my first post and I just want to say hello.

My question is not about me but about my wife. I love her very much because of who she and for my two kids. She has been trying to lose some weight and like some women she has loose skin around her belly area because of the two pregnancies. It dosen't bother me at all but it bothers her. She tells me that it will never go away because it's stretched out. Is there anything that she can do that I can pass on to her. I told her all about CF and that she should look into it. I think it would be a great place to start.

thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Allyson Dill

Profile:
Re: post pregnancy wife

Hi, John:

CrossFit will get your wife in the best shape of her life, but unfortunately it isn't going to make stretched-out skin disappear. The loose belly skin you're describing is common to many moms and individuals who have lost a significant amount of weight - a pannus. A pannus can be removed through surgery (abdominoplasty, etc.), which removes only the offending extraneous tissue. In Canada, this surgery is generally not considered "cosmetic" and doesn't come with a hefty price tag. From what I understand, certain American health insurance companies will cover at least some the cost of the procedure. I know that surgery is a last resort for many people with this problem, but if CrossFit and proper nutrition can't get rid of it, it just might be the solution.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Cortney Cortes

Profile:

I have the same problem, but only have a baby, she is 7 months right now. I am just now doing the foundation classes, but I hope to have CF and a healthier diet help me lose a little bit more of the baby belly fat.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Alex Pankratz

Profile:

I've had 3 to term pregnancies (all c-sections) and an abdominal surgery - I am, literally, pear-shaped (Like most of the women in my family, lol).
This is, by far, the most truthful and logical exercise regime I've looked into. I've done my second work-out, helped by my 17 month old today. She should try it, even if it's just the warm ups and WOD at home. Exercise and nutrition are so so important when you're post-partum.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I'm a mom of 4. Sometimes that loose skin will never go away because the skin is too stretched - your wife is correct, unless she's blessed with lots of elasticity in her skin.

That said, Crossfit is an awesome way for anyone to get in fit.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
John Daras

Profile:

Thanks girls, I'll have her read these posts, and we'll go from there.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Tina Dobson

Profile:

John, your wife also needs to keep in mind that many, many women see that flabby skin and assume it won't ever go back, not realizing there is more than one type of "saggy" from pregnancy. I have had several friends who thought they had that become fitness converts and end up with washboard abs (no lie, women in their 30s). It's true, sometimes that skin just won't go away, but sometimes it will. I would encourage her to get in her best post baby shape, and if it is still saggy, then maybe consider surgery. But I wouldn't consider it until she has gotten the rest of her body totally in shape and knows it isn't going to go in. One of the best guides is the texture. If it feels very thin and papery, it most likely isn't going to go back. But if it feels at all spongy there is definitely hope that she may be able to cure most of it by exercise.

You are a great hubby to be so supportive of her regardless of what she chooses to do.