CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #21
Tina Dobson

Profile:
Re: gf starting cf

I totally agree. Having learned "real" squats first, I have never liked Mr. Smith because it just doesn't feel like the right form. The way you distribute your weight, etc. seems to get thrown off (or maybe I am just uneven, LOL).
Old 04-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
Thomas Brick

Profile:

Having tried to train my girlfriend, I have realized that it's not worth my relationship and/or I'm a terrible trainer.

That said, what I have learned from squatting a lot and helping a friend or two with depth issues is this-- sometimes having some weight on the bar makes the flexibility issue resolve itself.

I'm not saying air squats shouldn't be mastered, but I am saying that stretching, smith machine "squats", etc, might not help as effeciently as a weighted back squat. Of course she needs to learn the movement pattern, but perhaps a little weight on the bar will help her reach the desired depth.

Also, try a wider stance. I know you already said that her toes were pointed out, but some people need a wider stance in addition to the toes out position.

There is a "stretch" in Coach Rippetoe's Starting Strength (I don't recall the page number) where the lifter drops down into the hole of the squat postion and shoves out his knees with his elbows by placing his hands together and pushing. This is the bottom of the squat if the spine is locked in extension.

As someone already mentioned, Coach Rip would probalby answer your question at www.************.net.

Good luck, I hope you're a better trainer than I am.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #23
Steve Collegio

Profile:

I am trying to get my gf to join my affiliate but she is reluctant. She says she doesnt want to embarass me or herself because she cant do any of the movements. any ideas on persuasion?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #24
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Everyone was a newbie once. Some more once and some longer than others
Old 04-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #25
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collegio View Post
I am trying to get my gf to join my affiliate but she is reluctant. She says she doesnt want to embarass me or herself because she cant do any of the movements. any ideas on persuasion?
Find out what the most beginner-friendly class is and then do whatever you have to to bribe her into giving it a fair shot. If she'd prefer to practice the CFWU movements at home to get familiar with stuff for a few weeks or a month prior, do that.
If they have a girls-only CF class at the affiliate, take her there. Come back and take her to dinner after the class is over. Newbie embarrassment is hard enough without adding in the pressure of romantic-partner embarrassment.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #26
Steve Collegio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
Find out what the most beginner-friendly class is and then do whatever you have to to bribe her into giving it a fair shot. If she'd prefer to practice the CFWU movements at home to get familiar with stuff for a few weeks or a month prior, do that.
If they have a girls-only CF class at the affiliate, take her there. Come back and take her to dinner after the class is over. Newbie embarrassment is hard enough without adding in the pressure of romantic-partner embarrassment.
shes afraid im going to watch her while we workout lol. i said "do you really want to use that excuse?"
Old 04-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #27
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Excuse? Pay attention.

Once she's proud of herself she won't mind you watching. For now, what's more important? Ogling your girlfriend today or helping her become someone you'll want to ogle for the rest of your life?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #28
Steve Collegio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
Excuse? Pay attention.

Once she's proud of herself she won't mind you watching. For now, what's more important? Ogling your girlfriend today or helping her become someone you'll want to ogle for the rest of your life?
my point was that i wasnt going to watch her. cf workouts are to intense for me to be looking at other people, lol.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
Kevin Cox

Profile:

I got my wife in to the local affiliate here in town once. it was the day before we started the 100 day burpee challenge. The WOD was 100 burpees for time. that was a bad idea she hasnt been back. However i install my pull up bar the other day and she asked if i was going to get bands for assistance and i said no then she asked if i would get them for her... that made me happy plus she has been using my abmat. i think the more equip i get at home the more she will get into it...
Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #30
Kevin Cox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collegio View Post
my point was that i wasnt going to watch her. cf workouts are to intense for me to be looking at other people, lol.
you know that the CF is that intense but does she? i think Cf can be intimidating.