CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-24-2009, 04:52 AM   #11
Austin Bray

Profile:
Re: gf starting cf

ok thanks guys, I was using a chair they had at her gym to get her to send her hips back, worked pretty well. I think I'll keep her going on the air squats, maybe some git-ups for variety.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #12
Amy Tompkins

Profile:

To work on the balance aspect you can have her hang on to a stable vertical pole, just enough to keep from falling backwards but not enough that she's pulling herself up out of the squat with her arms. Make the movement slow and deliberate, and see how long she can hold it at the bottom when she has assistance.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Tompkins View Post
To work on the balance aspect you can have her hang on to a stable vertical pole, just enough to keep from falling backwards but not enough that she's pulling herself up out of the squat with her arms. Make the movement slow and deliberate, and see how long she can hold it at the bottom when she has assistance.
This link will help you visualize what Amy is talking about here:http://www.crossfitinvictus.com/blog...-march-6-2009/ WFS
Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Also try goblet squats, have her hold a light DB infront of her with two hands (can use a med ball as well). This should help her get down without falling backwards, just ensure she focuses on chest up. Definitely work the air squat for as long as it takes, trying occasional sets with an empty barbell to see how it is progressing. Also remember there is a difference in form from an air squat to a low bar back squat if that is what you are working (air squat = vertical torso to the extent possible, LBBS = torso inclines as hips go back).
Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #15
Tina Dobson

Profile:

When coaches teach balance to people wanting to learn surfing they frequently use bosu or balance balls. Works tremendously. Regarding the squat, back in the day my first weight lifting coach was also the football coach. So I learned how to serious lift early on. Trainers (esp. women) always compliment me on my form. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this because real squats are the first thing we learned how to do, and we did it first as "air" squats, then only the bar, and THEN a full squat. I eventually did the girl thing for awhile and went to the m-word (machines--gawd! I said it!). Having started crossfit, all those old school basics that I learned way back then have come flooding back. It's like, "oh yeah I remember cleans!". Start from scratch, start with form. You can see her form better than she can. If she isn't going low enough, it probably isn't because she can't, it's probably because she's not used to it and it isn't comfy and feels weird and like you're going to pop something initially. If she isn't getting low enough, she may have tightness in her hip flexors, especially if she runs. She may need/want to do some hip flexor stretches. It will help not only strengthen her hips but her knees as well. If she will agree to let you to, have her squat where she thinks she needs to be, and then then help her correct her form. Get her "seat" where it needs to be, knees where they need to be, etc. Once she gets used to a move that feels totally different, she'll do great.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #16
Chadron Edwards

Profile:

I'd say keep on working the flexibility, even if it turns out not to be the major cause. When you guys get up to OHS and stuff like that it will make life a lot easier. Especially as she's your GF, partner stretching is a good thing you guys can do when just hanging out.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
Julie M. Lower

Profile:

In terms of balance, what I've always heard is that core strength is key. In other words, doing those core exercises such as knees-to-elbows, dead lifts, sit-ups, &c. will actually pay out for other, seemingly unrelated things like squats. Moreover, when I first did box jumps, I touched the wall in front of the box lightly, just for the first few until I developed the confidence not to need it (which in my case only took a couple of jumps).

Good luck. I wish my guy would work out with me. I think it's totally wonderful that you're making the effort with your special lady friend.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Austin Bray

Profile:

MMMM. I like the holding onto the pole idea, thanks again all.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #19
Ryan Jones

Profile:

If she can do a straight legged deadlift with good back position then hamstring flexibility is not the issue. If she is falling over backwards it may be because you're making her keep her knees behind her toes which is neither necessary nor reasonable. Knees go past the toes, it's the way squats work. If you don't let the knees past the toes you will fall on your tush.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Case View Post
Also, try the "Smith Machine". It would be good to just getting her used to squatting, but use a low weight. It won't help with the instability because it is a straight up and down exercise, but it will get her started and used to the motion and then you can move to a regular squat with maybe say the bar.
I'd have to recommend against that completely. The time to learn the movement is before you are strong enough to "handle" loads that are more likely to hurt you. Not to mention good ol' Mr. Smith's ability to hurt people through awkward, inhuman movements. Not to mention the lack of stability (in the real, core strength sense of the word) training thus exposing her to inherent weaknesses in the bio-mechanical chain.

Think about the fundamental 9 movements- the squat is one, not the back squat. Learn them first, they picked those moves for a reason.

If you need some good cues and ways to get her to squat well, this video in Rip's forum...

http://************.net/forum/showth...highlight=cues which

...which is likely not wfs is excellent.