CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Tommy Desrosiers

Profile:
Gomad

I started SS recently and i want to add some weight to my skinny body. I eat quite a lot, and i don't care of taking some fat since i really don't have a lot. I got a question that may sound stupid but here in canada we don't use gallon as a unit of measure, we use liters. How many liter is 1 gallon? tell me it is not 4L damn that is some insane amount of milk to drink there and in my country it is like 5$ or so a 4L of milk, that would be 30$ per week just for milk . And is it ok if I drink 1% partly skimmed milk or 0% would really be better?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Gomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Desrosiers View Post
I started SS recently and i want to add some weight to my skinny body. I eat quite a lot, and i don't care of taking some fat since i really don't have a lot. I got a question that may sound stupid but here in canada we don't use gallon as a unit of measure, we use liters. How many liter is 1 gallon? tell me it is not 4L damn that is some insane amount of milk to drink there and in my country it is like 5$ or so a 4L of milk, that would be 30$ per week just for milk . And is it ok if I drink 1% partly skimmed milk or 0% would really be better?
Ah, ya, it's about 3.78L and yes, it was a stupid question.

No, 1% is not better.

I assume you do not have the book and do not intend to buy it!!!!!!!!!

Any chance you might use the search function in the future, or better yet, post your SS questions on Mark's board??

Let me guess, you live at home, in school, have no money.......
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Tommy Desrosiers

Profile:

yes i do have the book, didn't finish it tho sorry for that question i'll try to search better next time. And for your info, i'm still in school and have not much money, sorry to have bothered you guys.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Tom, you will get that kind of response when you asks questions like that. Generally, the process is to search for an answer to your question first on the forums here, then on google, then ask us here if you can't find the answer. But seriously, read the book (or any book for that matter) before you ask questions about it. Don't mind Jay, it's just that people come in here and ask the same questions everyday without first searching for the answer....On a side note: I love the Jay welcome to newbies lol.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Go with whole milk, if you are worried about cost throwing away calories is silly. (buying skim milk = throwing away free nutrition)

also though it sounds expensive, think of how much you would have to spend on real food to get 2400 quality calories to help you grow.

$4 really isn't that much when you think of it like that.

and anyway, it isn't an 'all or nothing' you can drink half a gallon a day (or 2L) if you want for a while, it will still put some weight on you just not quite as fast.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

im from quebec, 3-rivičres. same as you ( pm me dude, i dont know who you are... and its small city)

and i gomad. i drink 4litres of whole milk each day. thats about 35$ a week.

ITS SO FREAKING CHEAP!

think how much it would cost to get 2400cals of steak(example), oatmeal (example) and almonds (example) to achieve this ratio.

Drink the milk buddy. its going to do some good to you.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
George Noble

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Ah, ya, it's about 3.78L and yes, it was a stupid question.
Since American gallons are different from gallons anywhere else I don't really consider that a stupid question. Here, a gallon is about 4.5L, and since we share a Queen it's probably the same in Canada. But since Rip is in America the gallon he prescribes is American. I just drink 4 litres, which is a happy medium.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Eric Simpson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Patrick Millette View Post
im from quebec, 3-rivičres. same as you ( pm me dude, i dont know who you are... and its small city)

and i gomad. i drink 4litres of whole milk each day. thats about 35$ a week.

ITS SO FREAKING CHEAP!

think how much it would cost to get 2400cals of steak(example), oatmeal (example) and almonds (example) to achieve this ratio.

Drink the milk buddy. its going to do some good to you.
My thoughts exactly. $35 a week is a bargan to get the balance on nutrients that whole milk will deliver! If your doing SS, another quick combo for getting the cals in is:

-Box of Kraft Dinner
-1 lb of Ground Beef

Cook beef. Add to KD. Makes 2-3 servings
Old 10-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #9
Tommy Desrosiers

Profile:

Thanks people, i'm done reading the book and I got all my answers :P Still sorry for not having searched longer before asking those questions. yeah thinking calorie/price wise I think that is a good ratio. I only asked about milk % I didn't quite catch what whole milk was(I really thought it was skimmed milk, since I'm not very good in english and the fact that I always heard that skimmed milk was better for health..??) anyway, now I understand the reasons why to choose whole milk and i'll do it as soon as I finish all those 1% fat milk bags and i'll pm you. Thank you guys

@Jean-Patrick Millette; pm'd you.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
Since American gallons are different from gallons anywhere else I don't really consider that a stupid question. Here, a gallon is about 4.5L, and since we share a Queen it's probably the same in Canada. But since Rip is in America the gallon he prescribes is American. I just drink 4 litres, which is a happy medium.
Considering that The US is the only country in the world that still uses gallons as a form of measurement it was a stupid question. On top of that, the answer was found on any search engine, or the inside the telephone book in any Canadian phonebook.

The commonwealth used to use the imperial gallon it was bigger than the US gallon. But its was made redundant went the rest the planet went metric. Oh.. excluding the US.

Oh, we dont share the same queen.... when she is in the UK she is the queen of the united kingdom and the british commonwealth. When she comes to Canada.. she is the Queen of Canada. Otherwise, we have a Governor General that handles her "affairs"

Last edited by Frank E Morel; 10-01-2008 at 06:42 PM..