CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Oakey Gaskill

Profile:
CrossFit for Kids help/advice

I run an affiliate but also am a PE teacher for my day job. Next week the schools are doing an event to help raise awareness about childhood obesity. All PE teachers have been asked to do some exercises with the children during that time. I'm wanting to do a CFKids type of workout. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Brian Nguyen

Profile:
Re: CrossFit for Kids help/advice

bodyweight stuff try like

400m run
20 air squats
400m run
20 pushups
400m run
20 situps
400m run
5-10 pullups

5-10 pullups because i remember i was a fatty and could only do like 5

Boom you've made them run a mile and build some bulgin triceps, bat-like lats, and rippling quads congrats
Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Depends on the ages, but CF Baseball is great. Set up two teams and AMRAP style.

Come up with 4 exercises to do at each "base" with 4 travelling exercises. Make bases a pretty big area.

Something like:

Forward roll to "bat"
crab walk to first, do 5 air squats
bear crawl to second, do 5 burpees
lateral jump over PVC to third, do 5 sit ups
run high knees to home and do 5 lunges.

When you complete that "round" you get a run. Team who scores the most runs, wins.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

Love the CF Baseball idea - our box just did that yesterday with my kids and they really liked it. They also did CF dodgeball, where each ball represents a different exercise that the kids have to do if they get hit with it. i.e. Green = burpees, Red = air squats, etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

How old are the kids? Regardless of the ages, I don't think I'd have them doing 400M repeats in the middle of their workouts. You're trying to get them to enjoy exercising, not cry while doing it. Especially if they're 13 or younger.

Maybe something like:

AMRAP in 5 minutes
5 burpees
6 situps
7 jumprope hops or whatever you call them

Winner gets a gift certificate to TCBY.

Sounds good to me.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Tricia, you nailed this one. The first question should be, what ages are the kids? CrossFit Baseball is a perfect choice for this kind of intro to CrossFit for kids, but how you run it depends on the ages.
A couple of quick thoughts on CrossFit Baseball. When you have a large group of kids who are new to CrossFit, and few instructors it is a good idea to keep the movements very low skill. Movements like tuck jumps, burpees, box jumps, side to side hops, monkey hangs, are easy to monitor and don't require a lot of time to teach. Even simple movements like the air squat become problematic to teach and monitor with a large group of kids, few instructors, and a time cap. Choose the movements you use on the bases to fit the time frame you have to teach and run the workout, the number of kids you will be working with, and the number of helpers you have.

Tricia's example above offers some great ways to move from base to base. It would work great for elementary age kids. Older kids, middle school and above, just keep it to a run.

For some other ideas, you can contact us directly at info@CrossFitKids.com.