CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Cole Ford

Profile:
Cool Bored with my box!!

Not really sure what I'm looking for here. Just going to toss this out there.

Been doing Crossfit for about a year+ Been Paleo for about 2 years.

I find myself going to my local Crossfit gym less and less, and well....hardly at all now.

I was originally attracted to Crossfit by the variety of workouts and the FUN types of things to do. Tried it for awhile on my own, then finally joined a local affiliate for the community and group workouts. Love the owner/trainer, love the people at the gym.

BUT........I feel like the box itself has gotten stuck in a rut. Feel like we just do small variations on the same things all the time. I'm sure much of this is limited by the amount of equipment at this particular facility.

I've mentioned this to the owner multiple times and there just seems to be no cure.

So.....what is the solution? Has anyone successfully stepped out on their own after being in a box and kept the intensity? variety? I've found the group a great motivator.

Anyone have a GREAT recommendation for a BOX in the Denver Area? I'd be willing to drive further for a few months for the right, fun, box.

Any other thoughts? Maybe we (me and the wife) are just in a normal Crossfit burn out cycle and need to find something else to do for awhile?

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Bored with my box!!

New box? Just an idea. Looks like there's about 7-9 boxes in the area. Otherwise go the garage route. You'll never look back once you do.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:

Chest bumb, high five, no hard fiilings & off to the next box Check out the programming, get to know some coaches, choose the one that suits you best
Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Steven Bowser

Profile:

Maybe do some Olympic Lifting for a while then get back into CrossFit. You will be surprised how much easier a lot of WODs are once you get better at Oly. But be prepared to lose some Endurance. Nothing you cant gain back in a few weeks. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Michael L Gardner

Profile:

Garage Gym! CHEAPER! Do whatever you want! Or just check a new box.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Ford View Post
Not really sure what I'm looking for here. Just going to toss this out there.

Been doing Crossfit for about a year+ Been Paleo for about 2 years.

I find myself going to my local Crossfit gym less and less, and well....hardly at all now.

I was originally attracted to Crossfit by the variety of workouts and the FUN types of things to do. Tried it for awhile on my own, then finally joined a local affiliate for the community and group workouts. Love the owner/trainer, love the people at the gym.

BUT........I feel like the box itself has gotten stuck in a rut. Feel like we just do small variations on the same things all the time. I'm sure much of this is limited by the amount of equipment at this particular facility.

I've mentioned this to the owner multiple times and there just seems to be no cure.

So.....what is the solution? Has anyone successfully stepped out on their own after being in a box and kept the intensity? variety? I've found the group a great motivator.

Anyone have a GREAT recommendation for a BOX in the Denver Area? I'd be willing to drive further for a few months for the right, fun, box.

Any other thoughts? Maybe we (me and the wife) are just in a normal Crossfit burn out cycle and need to find something else to do for awhile?

Thanks.
Front Range Crossfit (2011 Games 2nd place affiliate team), Crossfit Verve (Matt & Cheri Chan...) just to name a couple off the top of my head...
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Front Range Crossfit (2011 Games 2nd place affiliate team), Crossfit Verve (Matt & Cheri Chan...) just to name a couple off the top of my head...
+1 for Skip and his crew at Front Range.
Their affiliate team made it to the Games this year, and their ladies SWEPT the 3 spots for the Games, too - with the help of Becky Conzelman, formerly of Outlaw
Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Kevin Benson

Profile:

Cole,

Where in Aurora are you, it's a pretty big city?

Kevin
Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Stephen Lipa

Profile:

Cole,
I am going to echo everything that was stated as it relates to my personal experience with CrossFit and I think it can advise you as well.
I started CrossFit in August of 2008 and when I started, I trained at local globo gym, well to precise it was the Jewish Community Center (JCC) of Pittsburgh. For a community center they had bumpers, platforms, pull-up bars, dip stations, light KBs, plyo boxes, and rowers, with an indoor track to boot. It was not a bad place to start CrossFitting and I trained there for about a year. I did get meet a few fellow Crossfitters who, on occasions, cheered me on and helped on my technique and form. However as the gym became increasingly more crowded and harder to do WODs, I ended up putting together my own home-mobile gym and continued to train on my own. The first time I ever worked out in a CF box was when I went to my Level 1 Cert in 2010. What I found to be so great about that experience was being in CrossFit community with all CrossFitters instead of just being on my own. Also with equal importance, was that I found that receiving consistent coaching on technique and form was very valuable since I never really had that. So I sucked it up and worked my form and technique and also shortly after that joined an affiliate. I did that for about 6 months and I will say that I truly miss the people from there. I had great coaches and the whole crew were all good people to be around. Now I ended up having to leave the box for three reasons: A.) money, B.) time, and C.) the nature of the WODs. Since I train both BJJ and Karate, I found that I was having a hard time with getting those classes along with meshing those class times with affiliate class times. Obviously, the money factor was simply that it was costing me too much to do all this together. Now regarding the WODs, well I did have some struggles with the choices of movements and the lack of substitutions. Sadly, I have some pretty significant flexibility issues and many times workouts called for me to do things like Front Squats or OHS for example. This doesn’t mean that I didn’t work on improving them, but putting them into a workout for me was only pain inducing and not really a met-con, because I couldn't do them properly and effectively, especially over the course of a WOD. Plus I occasionally climb a mountain and the WODs prescribed at that box were not as supportive as I needed them to be, not for my mountain climbing purposes anyway.

Now to present day: I am almost 4 years into CrossFit and I train in multiple locations: For my basic met-cons, I program my own WODs and I utilize my home-mobile gym and other outdoor locals in my area. For strength workouts (deadlift, squat, OH presses, bench press) I renewed my membership at the JCC as can't be doing heavy powerlifting when I am on the second floor of apartment building. Finally, I am member of The Pittsburgh Barbell Club which does Oly lifting exclusively and I get training and coaching on that. Since so much of CrossFit is based off of the Oly lifts, this is very helpful. Plus, I do love the Oly lifts even though I am not as good at them as I would like to be. As you can see, in many ways I came full circle, and just added a twist to that.

So what I have discovered on my journey through CrossFit is this:
1.) All CrossFitters must take control of their training. This is true if you are just going for GPP, competing in the games, or are requiring some sport-specific strength and conditioning. That can mean changing your box, adding sport specific training/movements, or developing your own programming. Plus if you leave your affiliate there is no reason why you can’t return. The bottom line with CrossFit is that ultimately it is your journey and process that you must follow. To quote Obi Wan Kenobi “You must do what you feel is right of course.”
2.) There is nothing like a garage/home gym. I love being able to do WODs and then be able to go immediately into my own shower. Or it is nice to be able come right downstairs after a WOD to be with my fiancé. No traveling is a bonus too. And when crunching the numbers, it ends up being cheaper than joining a box.
3.) Getting the specific training/coaching and more practice in the Oly lifts is huge in my opinion. Along with the two lifts, my FS and OHS are improving as well as my cleans. Plus it is so much fun to do these lifts regularly.