CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
Greg Morrison

Profile:
Re: stay-at-home CrossFitters

4. I don't want to spend $200 on a clock, and the timer on my iPhone is too small to see when I an mid-WoD. Maybe if I got an iPad...

I use my Timex Ironman watch to time all my wods.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
The hardest things for me:

4. I don't want to spend $200 on a clock, and the timer on my iPhone is too small to see when I an mid-WoD. Maybe if I got an iPad...
The Gymboss is pretty small too, but it is great for work/rest workouts (i.e. tabata). I have a workbench nearby where my timer sits, and it's easy to lean over and a take peek. If nothing else, go hard and for the beeps.

Quote:
7. No muscle ups. I have not done one yet, mainly because I just haven't worked on it. My set up isn't ideal for it, though I could probably work on them from kneeling.
My set up isn't ideal either, but fortunately I have a big cherry tree that I can utilize in the summer if/when I get to the point where a full muscle-up is a possibility.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
Kevin Harrison

Profile:

My wife and I just starting set our new crossfit gym in our garage. We have plenty of space and 14ft high ceilings. We have kettlebells, pullup bars installed, bumbers on the way, rings, a wall ball wall, rower on the way, the digital wall clock, etc. All the equiptment you need. When we couldnt find a crossfit gym in our area that offered childcare we knew we had to invest in our own gym and that we did! It is going to be great working out with her and most off all in the comfort of our home. We even have a couple of our good neighbors wanting to get in on the act with us! I will post pics of the gym soon!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Kat Kristensen

Profile:

I have just moved from Aus back to the UK where no one here has heard of Crossfit so am now just in the process of setting up my own little gym. Where is the best place to get rings, pull up bar, rope etc from? Silly questions I know but used to having it all there for me!

Thanks Kat
Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Rogue and Again Faster - here in the US - not sure in the UK - but they can ship it over to you- they have everything you need
Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Brian Liang

Profile:

I would strongly suggest trying to go to a box for a least one or two months.

I starting crossfitting at home, because I caluclated how much it would be to pay for a membership vs all the equipment I could buy for my self. But the only issue I found was when you work out by your self, you don't push your self nearly as hard as you would at a box.

I chose to go to a box for a month so I could learn proper technique. And now I have never looked back at working out a home. Cause everyone at the box is so supportive, and when you work out at a box you get 10 times the work out.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Ken Hong

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
The hardest things for me:
I use online timers.. just run them off the website with my laptop in my garage. Here are a couple I use:

http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/
http://www.tabatatimer.com/
*both wfs*

They're free and easy to use. They have audio queues for start / stop. And did I mention they're free?

If you don't like these, you can just do a google search for online timers as there are literally hundreds out there.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
Ken Hong

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hong View Post
I use online timers.. just run them off the website with my laptop in my garage. Here are a couple I use:

http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/
http://www.tabatatimer.com/
*both wfs*

They're free and easy to use. They have audio queues for start / stop. And did I mention they're free?

If you don't like these, you can just do a google search for online timers as there are literally hundreds out there.
Forgot to mention you can do non-tabata workouts with tabata timers.. just set the rest time to 0:00 and it'll just count rounds regularly.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Thanks for the timer tips. It's just nice to be able to look up through the sweat blindness and be able to discern the time.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
Michael L Gardner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Liang View Post
. But the only issue I found was when you work out by your self, you don't push your self nearly as hard as you would at a box.
Havent really been to a box enough times to see a difference in my times. It sometimes is hard, but quotes on walls, an American flag, and a determination to get better go a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Kristensen View Post
I have just moved from Aus back to the UK where no one here has heard of Crossfit so am now just in the process of setting up my own little gym. Where is the best place to get rings, pull up bar, rope etc from? Silly questions I know but used to having it all there for me!

Thanks Kat
I got most of my equipment from amazon, I had Prime so shipping was mostly free! Great stuff. I still need a c2 though......