CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-27-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
James Oconnor

Profile:
I can easily do 15 dips and pull-ups. I feel nowhere close to doing a muscle up. Any tips?
I'm kipping strong, and can get up over the bar with one elbow flipping at a time but not both at the same time.
I'm so frustrated from working on it so much.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
John S. Powell

Profile:
One idea (Stolen from Matt G., I think) would be to do negatives. Start in a locked out position above the rings, and very slowly lower yourself through the transition into a hang. This should, if you keep it slow, work the transition that you're struggling with.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:00 AM   #3
Pat Janes

Profile:

I couldn't do that many dips before I got my 1st muscle-up, James. And could only just do that many pullups; in fact I still can't do much more than that.

Reading the edition of the CrossFit Journal that talks about the Muscle-Up is what got me there.

The two main points that helped were:

1) Keep the elbows in as close to your body as possible. Video footage or someone to watch may be helpful. You might think they're in close, but are they?

2) Are you trying hard enough? I wasn't. It is a really, *really* hard thing to do the 1st time. The CF Journal in question requests that you not "give up" on any muscle-up attempt unless you've pulled/rolled over/pushed for at least 10 seconds.

The above and work on your false grip as much as possible.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:25 AM   #4
Chris Longley

Profile:
Negatives were how I built up to mine. Also try doing dips on the pull-up bar where you lower yourself as far as you can before pushing up again. Make sure you pull high on your pull-ups as well.

I found that only way I could do a muscle-up at the start was to really concentrate on getting my chest over the bar right from the start i.e. pull from the beginning with the intention of getting on top of the bar - don't wait until you reach transition level. Pull-up bar muscle-ups are as much about power as they are strength.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Here's a tip from a gymnastics coach at the gym my girls train at: Use a false grip on the rings. Grip them with your wrists wrapped over the rings, your hands turned in towards your body. Not sure if you can picture this, I'll have to try to get a pic, but maybe someone else can beat me to it. I'm still working on my muscle-ups.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
Here's a link to a picture of the false grip:
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/evafalse_th.jpg

I have scabs that look just like this on my wrists. You should too.
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/...cabs_0049.html

I just got my first muscle up today! The most pull-ups I can do in a set is 15, which I just did in yesterday's WOD. I can do around 15 dips on stationary bars. 2 or 3 on the rings if I'm lucky.

When I get to the transition phase of the MU, I find that I have to hop/kip one arm at a time until I'm in the dip position. From there is's easy.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Chris Longley

Profile:
You can use the false grip on a pull-up bar as well - makes life a lot easier. Check out Matt's muscle up on the main workout page - i think it's from a couple of days ago. Unless I'm mistaken, he uses a false grip.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Yup...the video posted is with a false grip, but oddly enough I find it easier to do them on a pullup bar with a regular pullup grip.

But whatever works, you know?
Old 05-29-2005, 04:54 PM   #9
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I find the bar false grip incredibly painfull, but I have girly wrists, luckily I'm strong enough to do bar muscle ups with a muted false grip. Matt's grip is about as advantagous as you can get...but Pat's suggestion of try harder is my default suggestion for muscle ups (hope you're listening UK bro's).
Old 05-29-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Pat Janes

Profile:

CrossFit... the place where you can share the pictures of the scars on your wrist and everyone thinks it's OK:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/10604.jpg