CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Kristi Folowell

Profile:
Question Leading Special Population PT

Was not sure exactly which thread to post this under, but was wondering if someone could give me a hand. I have been put in charge of our company's special pop PT group (those are the ones that have either failed the PT test, weight, or both), actually I requested to be put in charge of it. I want to get them into crossfit, since there is no better program for gaining muscle and overall fitness, getting healthier, and sticking with it. I will have them three days a week non-consecutively and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about setting up a program. I have some ideas but would like some advice from some of the Crossfit veterans or anyone who has set up something similar.I would love to just follow the provided WOD but since I do not have them for a "crossfit" schedule I am having to find a way to work around that. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. We have access to the base gym and a track. The equipment in the gym is really spread out and more globo gym style then crossfit but work with what you have right? Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: Leading Special Population PT

Though I'm sure GPP is the overall goal, what is the PT test they have to pass? This might help others help you structure things a bit better..
Old 01-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Kristi Folowell

Profile:

Yeah guess that would help huh? It is the Army test of two mins pushups, two mins situps, and a two mile run.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #4
Todd Angel

Profile:

I also took this challenge before, with the same intentions. This is how I did it. First I made a book with all of thier pertinent info (PT card, BF worksheet, profile if applicable). I then sat down with a PT calendar and started putting workouts together that made a balance of the systems that they need to train for the PT test. The bulk of the workouts revolved around bodyweight stuff (think Angie or Murph scaled appropriately of course). I balanced this out with running and presto change-o...we had pretty good sucess. As for workouts with weights, I just kept them low skill based (think KB swing over KB snatch). The biggest challenge will be staying within profile limitations. I had one profile that actually stated "no repetitive bending of the knee" (he ended up doing alot of work on his hands). My question was, "how do you walk?" but I digress. You will mostly find, in these deconditioned Soldier's or whatever the service, that most of this will challenge them physically anyway. Also, keep in mind that a GTG approach works for running also, I made part of the warm up and cool down a 800 M run. Not hard or anything, but some of these service members may avoid running like the plague. Could be mile if time permits. You can also just just crossfit style some conventional military training techniques, sometimes we would carry med balls or KB's with us on our run. I would just keep it to a HIIT type protocal, usually produces the fastest results. Good luck, and tell us how it works out.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Kristi Folowell

Profile:

That was kind of what I was looking at doing as well, though you mentioned a few things I had not considered. Thanks so much and I will let you know what happens!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:

Lol, I got this challenge as well but big problem. I don't run(profile) but I run anyway . Just have to know when I should hold back.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Randy Kite

Profile:

Todd,

Great stuff! I'm doing the same thing with a Guard Bn.
We've seen great results with those willing to take on the challenge.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Reginald C. Scott

Profile:

This might help you out. Iam in the same situation with 10 of our Marines. Here is a program that i came up with. Its a six day a week program but you can pick and chose.
Good Luck

6 week BCP.doc
Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
Kristi Folowell

Profile:

Thanks Reginald!! I will definitely be choosing some of those workouts. I led my first session yesterday afternoon and got amazing feedback. They were excited to come back on Friday. This is from people that didn't want to show up because they thought it would be a waste of their time and generally don't like to workout. Thanks you guys for all the help so far!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Reginald C. Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Folowell View Post
Thanks Reginald!! I will definitely be choosing some of those workouts. I led my first session yesterday afternoon and got amazing feedback. They were excited to come back on Friday. This is from people that didn't want to show up because they thought it would be a waste of their time and generally don't like to workout. Thanks you guys for all the help so far!
Glad i can help we got the same reaction. The Marines love it they have made great progress. And they see results so it helps and its fun. And they pay us for this. Got to love it.