CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Joseph Wilkinson

Profile:
Bruising near Collar Bone

Hey guys,

I posted a similar thread under the 'Starter' section so I appologize for the redundency but I am new to CrossFit and I have noticed I get brusies on my collar bone when I perform a shoulder press, push press, push jerk, thruster, or clean.

Has this happened to anyone else or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks everyone
Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:
Re: Bruising near Collar Bone

I think this is a timing issue, but I'm not quite sure the best way to explain it, hopefully one of the other more experienced members can help but try get it so that you catch the bar at the same time that your knees bend so that your collar bone doesn't hit into the bar. The bar is probably crashing too hard onto your collar, you want the impact and weight of the bar to be almost be absorbed by your legs as it hits your collar bone. Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

We can all talk about technique and the ways to fix it, and sure technique helps, but in the end when you are training hard and pushing your limits this is going to happen. If the weight is heavy or you get fatigued from higher reps, so your form is not perfect, that bar is going to hit you hard enough to cause bruising whether it is on your collar bone below your throat or further out on your shoulders. We are catching a loaded bar that weighs 100 pounds, 200 pounds or more on a very small surface area of our body, often having to catch it and apply force to get it to change directions. We are sometimes going to get tender in that area and maybe see some bruising. In the end it is not really a big deal although it may make some movements a little uncomfortable on some days. It was not fun for me catching hang cleans yesterday after a tough thruster workout on Saturday.

This is just a by-product of hard training and pushing your limits if you ask me.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
We can all talk about technique and the ways to fix it, and sure technique helps, but in the end when you are training hard and pushing your limits this is going to happen.
Yeah. That's why my answer in the OP's other thread on the same topic was part technique and part "you'll get used to it."

- Mark
Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

happens to me too. just think of it as a good indicator that the bar is making it back far enough. I find random bruises all the time. Sometimes I never figure out where they came from, like the one on my ankle the other day..lol. More than likely though, I bumped it into the end of the barbell. That HURTS.