CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Shane Jensen

Profile:
Cal Strength Does "Regular" Grace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XlcL...83FAAAAAAAACAA

Another very cool video out of Cal Strength today with three of their athletes doing "normal" Grace. Jon North's reaction at the end had me dying.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Derek Strachan

Profile:
Re: Cal Strength Does "Regular" Grace

I love watching Jon lift. His noises are the greatest.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:

Even though they have a video and I don't, but boy in white only did 28 reps and all weren't locked out (which is why I counted) - some not even close like rep 1. Clearly it was the counter because he didn't count right nor no rep him (weak sauce judge) - probably that idiot who thought he was a window - but as an "athlete" I'd count myself anyway. Someone said 10 more @18. I recognize throwing stones is easy - but if you're going to put yourself out there, better to get it right.
Anyway, pressing rather than jerking is way impressive - even if it was short changed. Imagine how quick they could go by doing at least a push-press from the start.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Who exactly are those guys? In other words, are they decent lifters?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Who exactly are those guys? In other words, are they decent lifters?
I'm not sure if you're serious or not (no sarcasm font). But, Jon North has been on the Pan American Weightlifting team and both he and Kevin are a couple of the top 94 kg lifters the US currently has. Jon North has put up 166kg SN and 191 kg CJ at 94 kg BW. I'm not sure about Kevin, but somewhere around 145/185. Rob Blackwell (guy on far left) is an 85kg lifter with about 140/160kg, I think.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

I was being serious, and that is pretty sad... I say that because I do ZERO O-lifting and I can do Grace better than that... The same with my training partner.

That is 135 lbs, no? If so, that should be such a low percent of the absolute max that they should be able to play with it much more easily than they seem to...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Ben Norris

Profile:

@ Chris, Yes 135 pounds

@ this topic, This can only end well. And by well i mean in an arguement

Grabs Popcorn
Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Doug Lantz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I was being serious, and that is pretty sad... I say that because I do ZERO O-lifting and I can do Grace better than that... The same with my training partner.

That is 135 lbs, no? If so, that should be such a low percent of the absolute max that they should be able to play with it much more easily than they seem to...
Chris,

What is you and your training partner's best Grace time ?

Can you post video ?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Chris: Well Jon's time was under 2 minutes but he's the only one who seemsto be doing some kind of push-press? And it seems to me that Kevin was Strict Pressing the weight, so was Rob (guys on the right and left).

If these guys actually Jerk it (or push-press it) I think the time would be considerably better.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Eric Trent Miller

Profile:

We should not expect Oly lifters to own a CF event first time through anymore than you should expect CF'ers to own an Oly event first time through.

Expecting an oly lifter to dominate a metcon with Oly movements in it is like expecting a sprinter to be able to dominate the 1600, because it has running in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Clearly it was the counter because he didn't count right nor no rep him (weak sauce judge) - probably that idiot who thought he was a window -
um...that weaksauce idiot is Glenn Pendlay. I'm not sure where to even start with you on this, honestly. I will respectfully suggest that you spend a few minutes on Google, then come on back and draft a light hearted apology.

Folks, this workout and the video was done as a joke/for fun. From the comments: "More funny videos of the weightlifters at Cal Strength"

Athletes like Jon, Donnie, and Spencer do not give a rat's a** about our named benchmarks, and yes 135 is a complete and utter joke to them. I mean, for the love of God, Jon has the unofficial us snatch record for a 94 at 166kg?

I'll translate for the crossfitters: that means he weighs 207lb or less at any given time, and can snatch 367lbs with form that would pass oly judging. He can snatch more than most non-elite cf'ers can squat.

Keep in mind, guys, that they don't train for this at all. They rarely do more than 3 reps without several minutes of rest in between. This kind of short/heavy metcon is not what they train for, so it makes complete sense that they don't absolutely kill it the first time they try it. Their CNS just isn't trained for this.

But, we know strength is king, right? So...how many days do you think it would take for Jon North to train Grace to the point that he could set a CF record with perfect form? I'd say less than a month....

athletes who reach the top of their sport have more than just athletic skill..they have a mental toughness that makes them scary at anything they do. A guy like Jon North would absolutely dominate at CF if he took a notion to.