CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #61
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: sweet potatoes versus fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Oh no you ditten
Two years ago Darryl would of been burned at the stake for saying such things.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #62
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Two years ago Darryl would of been burned at the stake for saying such things.
The night's young. A bunch of offhand comments about Taubes/Lustig and we'll be forced to crucify him with a bunch of carrots, while these are still paleo.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #63
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
The night's young. A bunch of offhand comments about Taubes/Lustig and we'll be forced to crucify him with a bunch of carrots, while these are still paleo.
Actually, guys have started threads about the huge insulin spikes caused by carrots. And onions.

Lately I've been leaning out and I'm eating several pieces of fruit per day, and no berries or kiwis as those don't grow where I live in the caribbean. Papaya, banana, pineapple and mango have been the bulk of my fruits and I guess I'm leaning out because I'm at a caloric deficit? Have not done a metcon in a year either. We'll see.

I'm looking into this greek yogurt thing people mention often... is it Paleo?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #64
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Actually, guys have started threads about the huge insulin spikes caused by carrots. And onions.

Lately I've been leaning out and I'm eating several pieces of fruit per day, and no berries or kiwis as those don't grow where I live in the caribbean. Papaya, banana, pineapple and mango have been the bulk of my fruits and I guess I'm leaning out because I'm at a caloric deficit? Have not done a metcon in a year either. We'll see.

I'm looking into this greek yogurt thing people mention often... is it Paleo?
Be very careful with greek yogurt. Rumor has it that if you eat more than 1 cup per day you will gain 1 pound of fat per day.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #65
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Mathews View Post
From reading Robb Wolf's book I got this general impression about fruit... If you are overweight, cutting back on fruit (after getting the rest of your diet in line) until reaching target weight is a good option, .....
But you should understand thats how all this anti-fruit starts. That statement has people questioning a 100 calorie apple. Even though he doesnt say fruit is bad explicitly, this suggests that something is off, and people get confused as to 1 apple, or can I have 2 and so on.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #66
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3oon50.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	9413

Old 06-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #67
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Um, well.... carrots and onions do have a fair amount of sugar in them, especially if they are thoroughly cooked, a process which breaks down the complex carbs in those foods into simple sugars. So, if thoroughly cooked onions and carrots are eaten in large quantities, yeah, you can get an insulin spike.

I'm not saying people should avoid these foods. I am eating onions and carrots this very day myself, and I am on a very low carb diet right now. But folks should be aware that some veggies carry a considerable carbohydrate load, and that the glycemic index can change substantially with processing and/or cooking.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #68
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Seubert View Post
Um, well.... carrots and onions do have a fair amount of sugar in them, especially if they are thoroughly cooked, a process which breaks down the complex carbs in those foods into simple sugars. So, if thoroughly cooked onions and carrots are eaten in large quantities, yeah, you can get an insulin spike.

I'm not saying people should avoid these foods. I am eating onions and carrots this very day myself, and I am on a very low carb diet right now. But folks should be aware that some veggies carry a considerable carbohydrate load, and that the glycemic index can change substantially with processing and/or cooking.
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference (wfs) boiled and drained carrots have 35kcal/100g and 8.2g of carbohydrate, boiled and drained onions have 44kcal/100g and 10.15g of carbohydrate, and when sauteed the calorie content of onions increases to 132kcal/100g due to the addition of fat with just 7.86g of carbohdrate. Clearly any fear carbophobes may have of cooked carrots and onions is misplaced to put it mildly.

Last edited by Darryl Shaw; 06-16-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Old 06-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #69
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference (wfs) boiled and drained carrots have 35kcal/100g and 8.2g of carbohydrate, boiled and drained onions have 44kcal/100g and 10.15g of carbohydrate, and when sauteed the calorie content of onions increases to 132kcal/100g due to the addition of fat with just 7.86g of carbohdrate. Clearly any fear carbophobes may have of cooked carrots and onions is misplaced to put it mildly.
Agreed. I am on a carbophobic diet right now, and I am eating onions and carrots today, albeit in small portions. Still, really large quantities of well-cooked carrots or onions can cause an insulin spike, most especially as such foods are often eaten in conjunction with other foods which also boost insulin levels.

This is especially true of onions. If you have ever made French onion soup, which requires lengthy cooking times of onions and full carmelization, most of the carbs in onions are converted to sugar and offered in highly condensed form, once the water in the onion is cooked off. A couple kilos worth of onions cooks down to a very compact and tasty dish.

In the end, starchy and sugary vegetables simply contain more carbs per 100 g serving than low glycemic index, low glycemic load veggies. Compare the carb profile of onions or carrots with, say, asparagus or broccoli or collards. There is a big difference. Those few people who are on a very carb-restricted diet should be careful with their portion sizes when eating the higher carb veggies.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #70
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Seubert View Post

It's post like these that make new people learning how to eat properly start fearing foods that are good for you. I have never eaten enough veggies in a single day that would actually provide me with enough carbohydrates to fuel what I do. And, I eat a large amount of veggies daily.