CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I am coaching a 10-11 year old All Star team. While at our first practice I noticed that some of the kids, while sprinting around the bases, would have this sort of misstep that can only be described as a stutter. Im not positive but it seems that it might be due to them not taking a full stride and it definitely slows them down. Is this a common problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Nick,

They're either intimidated by the base itself or compensating for the fact that whole strides would cause them to overshoot the bases. Track coaches have a similar problem with beginning hurdlers, and have them count the appropriate number of strides between hurdles.

Although I've never coached baseball, I'd advise pulling second base and marking its place with something less intimidating, like chalk. Then, have the kids run full speed down the basepath, and count their strides to second. Tell each kid how many strides he gets to make the next base and then set an upper limit, i.e. "Jimmy you take fifteen strides to get to second at a full sprint. Don't ever take more than sixteen!"

It might reduce the stuttering, although I'm not sure you could eliminate it entirely.

Best,

Jon
Old 06-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Have you taught them to hit the inside of the bag with their LEFT foot as they round the base? Allows one to maintain stride in the turn.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Michael Tong

Profile:
I wonder if they are mimicking the pros' home-run strides? There is no reason for the pros to do it yet many of them do.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Seth Hollen

Profile:
It's like what John said.
I have the same problem coaching soccer, kids take smaller stutter steps to get in position for a shot with the ball. it slows them down and weakens the shot. I teach to increase their stride to adjust, not shorten it.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Beau Bryant

Profile:
They are adjusting the stride to hit the bases. Darrell is correct, left foot inside of the base. Counting strides will not work in baseball like it does track. They need to practice base running to get better. Smaller adjustments well before the bag will be faster than major adjustments at the last minute. With more practice they will begin to recognize the adjustments much sooner and will hit the base in full nor near full stride. It's all in the setup, perfect time to sneak some sprint work into practice, call it "base running skill work". It will take a few practices before they catch on and realize you are running them for the added benefit of fitness.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Nick Cruz

Profile:
How do I get them to increase their stride? Is it a simple matter of making them aware that they are short-striding their run and have them concentrate on consciously extending it?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
Amy Crawford

Profile:
I deal with high school athletes all the time - high school athletic trainer and strength coach. Make sure they're stretching their hip flexors well. Maybe turn it in to a contest ... line them all up along the right field line, make a parallel line the distance of 2nd base. Now sprint. BUT, any stutter stepping, even if he wins, is DQed.

I read an interesting article in Training & Conditioning about football speed development at USD (?). They mentioned stutter stepping. Let me see if I can find a link.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Amy Crawford

Profile:
Sorry ... San Jose State University ...

http://www.training-conditioning.com...urning_it.html

wfs