CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
Jason Naubur

Profile:
I did the WOD on Tuesday - 10 x 100M sprints. First I want to say what fun they were - felt like a kid again running all out. Second, they wiped me out to a surprising degree.

Is sprinting really effective, or am I just not used to sprinting?

Starting 24 hours after I started with DOMS in my inside thighs like crazy. 36 hours later I am walking like someone beat the crap out of me.

Did the sprints do this? I am surprised, but I really did give it 100%, so maybe it fits.

j
Old 05-31-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Damon Stewart

Profile:
I did this workout last week and was sore 7 days later, have been doing the WODS faithfully for over a year and about 70% of them since 05. I think sprints are something that unless done often create incredible soreness for me. My quads were the worst, it felt like someone knifed my right one.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Yes, sprinting is that effective and, yes, you're just not used to doing them. :happy: Remember that in a full sprint, you're running as hard as you can. Imagine if you hadn't done squats in months and then you did 10 sets of 10 with full intensity. Someone did beat the crap out of you. You.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Agreed; the sprints messed me up and I didn't even complete all of them (time constraint). I also tweaked one of my knees. Jeez, we should do these more.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:
Yes sprints owned the inside of my thighs and my complete lower torso. I agree wholeheartedly we need more sprints of this nature. That WOD kicked my butt so hard I'm feeling it today still, I somehow pushed through for the CFT but it was hard..
Old 06-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Jason S Roth

Profile:
I loved tuesday's WOD!! It was right up my alley being an ex football player / track sprinter. Even in my high school days of playing football, the first week of doing these in preseason had me walking awkward and cramping (quads and hamstrings) at night. After the tuesday's workout I was done for about an hour or so, but luckily I've been sprinting about twice a week so it didn't kill me for that long. Sprinting like that will also decrease your mileage time if you run any kind of distance.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Wade Miller

Profile:
I was short on time, so I took a handful of my youth wrestlers from our club (I coach) and did it with them after their practice. First time I have ran full out sprints (we ran them like intervals 1:4 ratio) in a long time. It was a blast but man it wiped me out. I am 34 and I forgot how fast some of those 13 and 14 yr. olds can run. But they loved it and so did I ... Look forward to doing it again.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:28 AM   #8
Albert Carr

Profile:
Same here all, the sprints really did a number on me. I was sore all over and that is what I have seemed to experience with most of the workouts since starting crossfit. I am really working alot of those muscles I neglected while sticking to the bodybuilding approach. I love it though
Old 06-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
Theresa Meyer

Profile:
I was sore for several days afterward as well. I find that sprinting in some form about three times per week really helps me perform well in my 1.5 run, which is part of the AF PT test.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #10
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I was sore for days after the sprint WOD and I'm still waking up with the area around my left achilles tendon so stiff I can't walk without hobbling. For the first time I feel every one of my 44 years old.

Next time I'll treat sprints like I do deadlift singles by performing a good number of very motion specific warmups - several increasing speed sprints rather than a one mile jog.

Thank you to Catherine Imes for the analogy - for some reason I don't think of running the same way I do lifting.