CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Michael Zoda

Profile:
Shoulder injury. Sleeping habits cause pain.

A few weeks ago I injured my shoulder at a concert. I've been spending the past few weeks doing the RICE protocol, and just recently got into strengthening/mobility. In fact, the other day I did a 95lb press with no pain at all. Now my shoulder is at the point where I have 90% ROM and can perform many different activities (played racketball the other day, rowed 500m sprints today with no pain). Although there are a few particular motions that do cause a lot of trouble. Bench pressing hurts a lot, as do dead hangs. I cannot dead hand from a bar without pain. Double unders cause pain as well. For what reason I do not know. But the biggest cause of pain in my shoulder is sleeping at night.

When I go to sleep at night everything goes down the drain. I cannot fall asleep on my back, or in any position that accommodates my shoulder injury or even proper posture. Even if I fall asleep on my back I end up waking up on my stomach with my arms over my head gripping the pillow.

My shoulder hurts so bad EVERY MORNING.

I really need some tips on how fix my sleep. How does one go about correcting this?

How can I go about fixing this? The pain is at the very top of the shoulder right where the AC joint is located. I have had chronic tendinitis in this shoulder about a year ago. I'm wondering if this is a type of ac joint separation or another case of tendinitis. The concert was small punk concert. It was pretty rough with a lot of people stage diving throughout the show. Therefore I'm not sure if I sustained the injury from impact (i do remember somebody falling on my back) or just from overuse throughout the night (holding people up moving around the crowd etc). What confuses me is that I can perform weighted overhead press's and other exercise, while there are other specific exercises I cannot do.

Pain is located here:
http://imgur.com/pVqd7 (wfs)

ANY advice whether on sleeping, or the injury is welcome.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Gravel Brown

Profile:
Re: Shoulder injury. Sleeping habits cause pain.

Doesnt sound very promising to me. Just because you can still do most things in the gym dont let it fool you. I could do everything in the gym after my injury, even heavy snatches and deadlifts and my eventual diagnosis was a SLAP tear requiring 4 anchors... 8-12 month recovery.

The only thing i couldnt do was bench press and pushups.

Just because you still have good strength in the gym and good ROM doesnt mean that something major isnt wrong.

Get it checked out mate.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Definitely get it checked out, but I have a similar issue. I think I messed it up bench pressing with bad form (not locking shoulder blades back.) It was recurring for maybe 2 years.

I decided to try Starting Strength, I started pressing a lot and gained maybe 23 lbs on my 5 rep press. Went from 135 to 163. It still bothers me from time to time, but not nearly as bad as it did before I started pressing a lot. (This was from starting strength, 3 sets of 5 across. Twice one week, once the next week). Also cleaned up my bench press form which could have also helped. But yeah it was the AC joint.

Last edited by Michael Loucas; 07-05-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Old 07-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Gravel Brown

Profile:

The best my shoulder felt was when i was in the gym working out, it never hurt me in the gym so feeling good in the gym can be a bit of a trap.. it feels fine when you lift so you think its ok... not always the case.

My shoulder would hurt more when i was inactive, ie at night sleeping or sitting watching TV, sometimes lifting a coffee cup would hurt... but in the gym i could snatch and deadlift without any issues.. go figure.

My surgeon told me that the surrounding muscles compensate the injured area when you workout, this is why you wont feel it when lifting.

The body plays weird tricks sometimes..
Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Seth Leaman

Profile:

I used to sleep on my right side/stomach every night until I broke my clavicle and dislocated my shoulder. This pretty much forced me to sleep on my back. They was no way around it. Theres really no tricks though. You won't sleep well for a little while, but eventually you'll get used to it. I still can't sleep on my right side or the huge chunk of bone from where my clavicle snapped and overlapped will cut off circulation to my arm. Moral of the story, just stick with it and eventually you'll get used to it.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Seth Leaman

Profile:

also, it sounds like SHoulder Bursitis. Do you have a bump on the top of your shoulder? I know it sucks, but I'd suggest biting the bullet and giving some time completley off from the gym. Definitley try to see a doctor too.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Actually I have a bump on the top of my shoulder... so I probably have shoulder bursitis.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Michael Zoda

Profile:

Just got it checked out at the ortho. I do have a bump but I also have a bump on the other shoulder. I have very boney shoulders. He ordered an MRI.

After looking at Xrays and examined the shoulder he said there was no AC separation. He also said that I have a lot of strength in my rotator cuff muscles Probably due to the rehab I have been doing with it.

So now I wait for the MRI and its results. He doesn't think its tendinitis because the pain is centralized right at the ac joint and doesn't affect any other part of the shoulder. Doc said I probably jumped into my workouts a little too much too soon therefore the inflammation is still present.

I was instructed to completely stop any movements where my elbow leaves my side. He said it was ok if I continued to run, but the squats/deadlifts were aggravating the shoulder.