CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Brian Van Vo

Profile:
You guys are crazy :/

and I wanna be crazy

I'm somewhat acquainted with CrossFit because of a buddy in the USMC as well as my brother giving me some starting tips. However, I haven't done too much CrossFit because I feel as if I should start with increasing my strength first, I also don't go to a CrossFit gym cause it is fairly expensive atm and I go to a community college, so money is somewhat scarce.

I have plans on joining the USMC and so I want to increase my overall fitness. Since I've been fat pretty much over 80% of my life, I'm not sure if I should just start with CrossFit; which is why I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, although I think I'm going to do the SS Novice program instead because I hear recovery/gains gets complicated as you progress? Stronglifts doesn't incorporate pull-ups either.

Oh, and I go to a globo gym that has a decent set of equipment.

With that said, my stats are:
Height: 5'7
Weight: ~165 lbs (was 180 lbs about 8 months ago, and I'm still very much fat. Don't know body fat %)
Bench: 5x5 165 lbs
Squat: 5x5 200 lbs
Deadlift: 1x5 295 lbs
Overhead Press: 5x5 85 lbs (although this is p difficult)
Pull-Ups: I think 15 is my max, I haven't done pull-ups since I started SL5x5 so I assume I've gotten worse.

Been doing the Cindy WOD every now and then, which I originally was only able to do about 8 rounds, managed to do 13 several weeks ago.

Prior to SL 5x5, I could barely run 2 miles, though Mehdi says doing squats will increase your running performance, so I'm not too sure where I'm at atm.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions!

1) Assuming I'm doing the SS Novice program (M W F), when is a good time to do cardio? Should I only do it during my offdays (T / TH) or would it be a good idea to do some cardio during the lifting days as well?

2) Similar to the first question, when should I do the mobility WODs?

3) What's up with Paleo? I've been reading bodybuilding.com's forums and all the bodybuilders/nutritionists are always trashtalking Paleo, however, the same people praise CrossFit like a god... and it seems paleo complements CrossFit.

Since I'm trying to get into optimal starting fitness for CrossFit, assume that I am willing to train as hard as possible.

Any help is appreciated!
-Bvo
Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Brian Van Vo

Profile:
Re: You guys are crazy :/

Oh disregard the second question.

Just read the MWOD FAQ lol
Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
David Z Sachs

Profile:

If you want to do SS, you won't be doing any cardio. Eat. Lift. Sleep.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Give crossfit football a try, or the "simple, yet effective" routine that's linked on this forum several times. Either will give you the results that you're looking for.
(erase that first question before Tamara Cohen sees it. She might come to your home and kill you )
Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I tried number 1. It doesn't work. At all.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

As stated, don't do cardio while doing SS. I agree with the others: if you want conditioning and lifting then do CrossFit Football with the novice lifting sessions.

Paleo is good for a number of reasons, but it's not best for everyone.

Paleo is best for:

1) finding out if you are sensitive to gluten, dairy, or other "non-paleo" foods. Many people just feel better without some of these foods, but you'll never know unless you give them up for a decent period of time.
2) losing weight, as the vast majority of people will eat less calories on a paleo diet and still full satiated and full.
3) establishing better food quality habits. If you spend a month doing strict paleo you'll end up exploring fruits and vegetables you weren't before (and eating more of them) as they replace grains in your diet and, if you are like most people, you'll see that more fat and protein and less carbs leaves you with a more steady energy level. You don't "crash" the same way, or get suddenly really hungry.

Once you establish what makes a difference for you you can start tweaking or changing things to meet your specific needs.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Brian Van Vo

Profile:

Thanks guys! Might consider doing the "Effective, Yet Simple" program... if this is what you're talking about? "Effective, Yet Simple"

But what is the reasoning behind not doing any cardio while doing SS? Is it simply muscle recovery?

My brother told me to run anyway and I figured that since he went through OCS he'd have an idea about fitness... even if he isn't in top shape >.>

Gah, I had a bunch of other questions to ask when I was at the gym but I forgot them all.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yes, that's the correct simple, yet effective program. It's like a watered down SS with a little conditioning and pullups and dips added in. If you want to get in USMC shape, that's a very good way to start. CFFB would be another good way to go, as would the GSLP.

The reason conditioning is a bad thing to add to SS is because it messes with your recovery. SS is designed to get you strong as fast as possible--keeping a lean body composition or doing conditioning workouts are not compatible with getting strong in the fastest manner. Linear gains on 3x5 squats three times a week are not sustainable if you're adding in extra stuff like running. And no offense to your brother, but going to OCS doesn't mean someone knows anything about intelligent training.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Thanks for the link to the Big 70s Program.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
Nathan Kulas

Profile:

You can stick with SL 5x5.
Some important notes in regard to you and your goals:

1) It sounds like you are just doing the barbell exercises, without any of the supplemental stuff. On your BenchPress day, after your rows (or cleans), you should be doing 3xF push-ups and 3x12 reverse crunch. On your Press day, after 1x5 DL you should be doing 3xF Pull-ups and 3x30 sec prone bridge. These supplemental exercises are not necessary to the program, just the barbell exercises are required - but these are recommended.

2) Running can be done immediately following your strength workout or on your off day. The suggestion is to start with 15 minutes of running following the strength workout, and to increase it by 1 minute each day until you are doing 45 minutes after your workout (10 weeks).

3) Recovery is not bad with SL5x5, and by the time you are moving the type of weight that would lead to hard recovery, you should be real used to squatting 3 times a week, so recovery shouldn't be an issue. I say keep with it, its a good program especially for a beginner. You can stick with it up to squat 330 5x5 with your current weight, though you should put on weight before you get there.

4) Gains are not difficult either. It sounds like you will stall out soon on the press. When you do (don't make 5x5), try the same weight again the next time the workout comes up. If you get it - great! move on and add 5 the next workout. If not, try again a 3rd time and if you still can't get all reps - drop down 10%. So, e.g. with 90# press stall, drop 9# (round to 10) and do 80# your next workout and start working back up. You should be able to get 95 at least the next time through. You can do this until you stop getting gains after cycling back through, then you can drop THAT EXERCISE ONLY down to 3x5 so you can continue increasing weight - increasing weight is the only way to gain strength.
27/m/68"/185# - 300 BP, 435 DL, 435 BS, 205 Clean, 100# wtd pull-up, 3:23 Fran, 22:50 Angie, 25 Cindy rds, 20:17 5K Row, 7:31 2K Row, 5:43 1 mile run