CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Weakness in knee after squat workout?

I did a workout involving 500 squats today, and before anything is said, I do not have access to a rack most of the week, and am on spring break right now, so I have absolutely no access to one. Because of this, i make up for no weight by adding reps. Not the best thing to do, but thats how im compromising these days (until i get my own rack at least)

Now, my body is used to knocking out over 1000 pulls/push/sit/squats a week, but the most ive ever done in a single workout (squats) before today is 350-400. I did 500, and the wod was:

200-150-100-50
Situps
Squats

After i finished, my left knee felt kind of weak when i was walking it off. It isn't pain, just a weak feeling. It subsided about 15 minutes after i finished, but i was wondering if anyone had any intake on what it could have been. Seeing as it probably matters, i have a slight tendency to go a little too deep in my air squats.

If anyone can give some intake, it would be great
Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Weakness in knee after squat workout?

When you do that many reps of anything in a workout there's a good chance that your form will break down, which may or may not cause injury. You said you go a little deep, if your knees drift forward at the bottom to allow for you to get the extra depth that may be a reason for the weakness. Another is that you did not shove your knees out enough. Regardless, I'd be sore in whatever muscle group was involved to complete a workout with that many reps.

Why not take spring break off if you have not taken off in awhile? If you want to workout a better option, with just your bodyweight, is to make harder variations of movements. Think squat jumps, clapping or plyometric pushups, walking lunges holding a stack of books or something overhead, etc. A short but painful one is 50 or 100 burpees for time. There is a list of bodyweight workouts compiled by Shane Skowron at the top of this section of the forum that has alot of good workouts.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
When you do that many reps of anything in a workout there's a good chance that your form will break down, which may or may not cause injury. You said you go a little deep, if your knees drift forward at the bottom to allow for you to get the extra depth that may be a reason for the weakness. Another is that you did not shove your knees out enough. Regardless, I'd be sore in whatever muscle group was involved to complete a workout with that many reps.

Why not take spring break off if you have not taken off in awhile? If you want to workout a better option, with just your bodyweight, is to make harder variations of movements. Think squat jumps, clapping or plyometric pushups, walking lunges holding a stack of books or something overhead, etc. A short but painful one is 50 or 100 burpees for time. There is a list of bodyweight workouts compiled by Shane Skowron at the top of this section of the forum that has alot of good workouts.
Yea, i guess i could be doing pistols or something. Unfortunately, im limited in what i can do because i have shin splints. But making stuff harder is definitely an option
Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Just a side question, is that 46 pull ups in your signature Strict? If so that is pretty beast even for someone that weighs only 130.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Gritton View Post
Just a side question, is that 46 pull ups in your signature Strict? If so that is pretty beast even for someone that weighs only 130.
No, they were butterflies, though ive been asked this alot :P
Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Because people typically put strict on their signatures as most signatures are feats of strength. Though 40+ butterflys is a good show of coordination.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Now, my body is used to knocking out over 1000 pulls/push/sit/squats a week, but the most ive ever done in a single workout (squats) before today is 350-400. I did 500, and the wod was
That's a 25% increase. And my guess is you were going at max effort or close to it during that workout. Expect your knees to feel weak.

Same thing happened to me when I rowed a marathon. Knees hurt the next day. I didn't do anything wrong, but when you ramp up the volume that much in one day, the soft tissue is going to take a long time to recover. Soft tissue often takes longer than muscles to recover.

Also might want to check your IT band to make sure it's not sticking out like a shoelace.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
That's a 25% increase. And my guess is you were going at max effort or close to it during that workout. Expect your knees to feel weak.

Same thing happened to me when I rowed a marathon. Knees hurt the next day. I didn't do anything wrong, but when you ramp up the volume that much in one day, the soft tissue is going to take a long time to recover. Soft tissue often takes longer than muscles to recover.

Also might want to check your IT band to make sure it's not sticking out like a shoelace.
Josh, okay, ill change it to butterfly in my sig, thanks for the notice

Shane, what exactly would it look like? I roll on it with a foam roller about once a week or so, and my legs have felt fine the past few weeks, minus a knee injury i currently have, due to a bruise :P