CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
i have been switching to knee pushups when i gas during a massive number of pushups. now i've stumbled across some previous threads that seem to STRONGLY suggest box or chair or similar pushups in lieu of knee pushups. i plan to start doing this, but would like to understand why the knee pushups are not recommended.

also, i've looked for links for pushup progressions for kids and others who cannot do pushups or cannot do many pushups and haven't found them. is there a standard crossfit progression?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Greg, the prefernce for elevated push-ups is to work on the strong body position that is essential for good push-up form and endurance. This gets severely blunted with the knee push-ups.

For an excellent sequence of progressions for push-ups, download the free trial copy of CrossFit Kids e-mag from BrandX

www.brandxmartialarts.com

Cheers, kempie
Old 09-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
thanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Greg great advice from Chris. Brand X has a lot of great articles on kids progression. On the knee push-ups. It inhibits your plank position, by shortining the body. Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I agree...I use an elevated bar pushup (probably the only good use for a smith machine) for those who can not do floor pushups. You can certainly see the metabolic response to the bar vs having them on their knees.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
thanks again for your help, guys. knowing this pushup progression will help me with the younger swimmers during our dryland workouts. it's pretty much common sense stuff (like most of crossfit) once you take out the knee pushups and understand why, but very nice to see the progression listed and explained. personally, cindy was a better wod for me yesterday because i used box pushups for the last 2 or 3 reps in the final sets as needed, instead of the knee pushups i've been doing.

:bowdown:

for anybody who may need it or had trouble actually finding it at the brandx website, here is direct link directly to the free download issue which includes the pushup progression:
http://catalog.brandxmartialarts.com...products_id=29
Old 09-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Greg,
You coach swimming?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
yes, for six years now. i swam competively from grade school through high school, then was forced into coaching twenty years later by my wife, kids, other coaches, parents, etc. i'm the head coach of a very competitive summer league team and an assistant coach of a truly outstanding and nationally competitive year round team. i coach mostly 9-12 year olds on the year round team and the summer league team has kids from 5-17.

crossfit has given me a whole new perspective on our dryland workouts, although i have to admit they already had some similarities from the routines developed by the previous head coach. i would bet our swimmers are stronger and more comprehensively fit than most other swimmers, and this is a big part of our success. until recently i always thought it was GREAT for the kids rather than something i imagined myself doing!