CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Nick Kirkes

Profile:
I'm curious what the consensus is:

During Cindy yesterday, I subbed the pullups for assisted pullups after round 3 and subbed knee-pushups after round 7. The reasoning was that I wanted to make sure I got full range of motion, and neither of the subs were a ton easier during round 10. However, I'm curious if I should have just broken the sets and fought for the prescribed exercises.

Curious what others think. I don't yet have the strength to perform a lot of pullups in a row and have been working on getting my assisted weight down on a week to week basis (started 6 weeks ago at 80 lbs of assistance and now am using 50 lbs of assistance on the pullups. Pushups, I just have to work on. I got through 70 of them prior to switching to knees on the ground.

Thoughts?

N
Old 05-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Tim McFarland

Profile:
I think you should scale as necessary for your current fitness level. You should be left gasping and shaking afterwards - if that didn't happen, you scaled it down too much.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Travis Hall

Profile:

personally, i say always go full rom- no matter what- full rom and proper form come first. they bring the best strength gains in the long run, which leads to the power and speed.

and break up the sets if you need to. few start off here being able to do a gazillion pullups in a row! :wink:

for example, there was an old WOD i like and do every so often: 15 hspu then 30ft lunge walk, 5 rounds. i had got the hspu down to all unbroken sets. recently i've switched to paralettes and doing full rom hspu's. i'm back to sets a 5,3 and even 2 again- just like when i began!

t.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
You're not going "as Rx'd" unless you're going full ROM, no assistance. Travis already said it...this is a long-term project. Short term gratification (a "big" score via assistance/subs/etc.) is no substitute for the long term success you'll reap by biting the bullet and performing the exercises properly...even if it means breaking things up, etc.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Alex McClung

Profile:
I'm a recent (and struggling) convert to the full ROM school. Coming from a poor fitness base I used to fight for big posts. I got stronger and I got fitter. My best Cindy was 24 rounds, and I worked about 18 months to get it. I felt pretty good about that at one time, but got to thinking is it really legit ? Pushups didn't touch the deck, most squats were parallel at best. Sure, the metabolic output was genuine, but could a similar metcon thrashing be achieved through a full-range set of movements ?

Yesterday = 8 rounds

Difference:
pullups to sternum
pushups off of 4" risers to extend ROM
Squats to 12" ball

...and what a difference. The WOD scales easily down for the novice - and it needs to. But a subtle beauty is revealed in the open endedness of the WOD on the other end too. You can keep making it harder. So the next challenge is to get back up to 24 rounds with full ROM.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
It's definitely an ego check Alex. But what's important is to focus on long-term benefit. It's hard to deal with, especially if you come from a place where you thought you were in "good shape" (so you're trying to prove you are), but swallowing your pride and starting from zero is the way to go IMO.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Alex, I feel your pain. Actually, I never got better than 13 rounds of Cindy with subs - assisted pullups, knee or box pushups etc.

A month ago I was proud to get 8 rounds with full ROM push ups, all unassisted pullups and good squats.

I used a slight assist on pullups the other day and got 9 rounds. I can only go up from here!

I'm working on doing everything full ROM and though I never posted big numbers on anything I'm much more confident that I'm putting in my best effort.

And I definitely post a note if use any mods or assistance, to keep my numbers in perspective.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
Nick Kirkes

Profile:
thanks for the feedback, everyone. when I post my numbers on the wod, I always try to post what sub's/assistance I did. I'll keep working ROM and keep my eyes on the bigger picture...