CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Erik Preston

Profile:
So,I'm determined to learn the Olympic lifts--patiently--I've watched the clips, I've looked at the Burgener warmup, etc, etc. But what I'm lacking are the cues that allow one to know that one is progressing along the right track. And, I'm left with some nagging questions:

Does the shrug precede the heel drive/hip extension?

When exactly does one let the elbows bend, without letting power end? What's the sequence? Drive from heels>hip extension>explosive shrug>arm bend/high pull>rack? Or, explosive shrug>drive from heels>hip extension>high pull>rack?

And dag gammit, when I think about one thing, the other suffers--example: when I think about a powerful shrug with a hip thrust when attempting a fluid power clean, I FORGET TO ELEVATE THE BAR BY HIGH PULLING! So all I get is a power "shrug". Conversely, when I think about the High pull to the clean, the bar inevitably moves forward because I must have a reverse curl gene.

I know, it's got to be fluid, and I'm thinking in a segmented fashion. It's not break dancing.

All of this is with a non-weighted olympic bar.

Please tell me others have passed through similar straits...
Old 05-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Erik, how long have you been trying to learn the OLs? It's take months of practice.

As far as your clean sequence, it should go like this - drive from the heels until your legs are almost straight, hip extension, jump-shrug, pull under the bar into a squat(don't think armbend or high pull, the bar will travel high from it's own momentum) and rack.

When first learning you should be mastering parts first then putting them together as one motion. It's common for one thing to fall apart while focusing on another. Patience is a virtue.

And, keep watching clips of good lifts, frame by frame if you can. Film yourself and compare it to those clips.

Try going here:
http://www.eastcoastgold.org/ for a coach, club, or clinic.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Erik,

get a decent video to learn from if you don't have access to a local coach. I used Jim Schmitz's weightlifting video with good success. You can find reviews of different videos in http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/20232.html and http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/23565.html.

Good luck,

Christian
Old 05-12-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
Erik Preston

Profile:
Thanks you two. I'm committed to the long road. The journey is fun, if not obsessive. My family and friends look at me weird during the day when all of a sudden, I'll stop in mid-track and jump shrug... They're like, "what in the?"

Old 05-12-2006, 03:41 AM   #5
Erik Preston

Profile:
Veronica, I actually managed to find a local iron-head gym, (open 24 hrs.) that has platforms, bumper plates galore, and get this--the night manager is a competitive O-lifter.

Eureka!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Erik, a light really turned on for me watching odd object cleans. Get a K-bell or med ball. Do the 2nd and 3rd pull to elevate to object, let the object go, and then dive under to catch it. Letting go of the object eliminates the bad habit of pulling with the arms. Just a thought.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Larry, if you've got your pull down really good, letting it go overhead might just get you knocked in the head when that med ball comes down! :biggrin:

Erik, congrats on finding a gym AND a coach!

(Message edited by vgcarp on May 12, 2006)
Old 05-14-2006, 05:05 AM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Erik,

If you've found a coach then you are halfway there. (the other half is being yelled at constantly by the coach):biggrin:

One point that hasn't been addressed so far is your complaint that when concentrating on one thing other details start to slide.

This is universal - You simply can't keep all 10, 20, 100+ little things that make up a movement as complex as an O lift in the front of your mind at the same time.

What you have to do is to work on making things automatic and subconcious and then invest in a bit of "Pareto analysis" to figure out what needs improveing and whats going to get you the most rapid improvement.

Basically what this means is you need to look at your technique and then pick the biggest most debilitating flaw and fix it first. When you've fixed it and the action has become automatic and subconcious then you move on to the next trouble spot.

Lets take a typical O lift beginner example.

Beginner lifter who doesn't extend the hips fully, who also bends the arms too early and who catches the bar with forearms close to vertical in the clean.

If we tell the beginner to fix the last problem it won't make much difference at all because he's got bigger issues.

So we get him to do lots of clean pulls to teach him to extend and shrug. Once that improves we can work on the early arm bend and then we fix the catch.

If we bombard him with 5 things to think of then he's going to concentrate on one or two and botch it.

I've learnt this from teaching high school kids O lifting over the last 2 months (and getting yelled at by my coach)
Old 05-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #9
Erik Preston

Profile:
Don--precious insight, and advice well taken. Thanks much.