CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Not sure if this has been addressed here before but I was thinking that doing weighted static holds on the GHD would be a good assistance exercise to use for planches and front levers.

All you would do is hold yourself horizontally supine or prone with a weight. Once you can do this with a weight that equals the weight of your legs you should have the the core stability necessary to pull of the planche and front lever.

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Realistically the core componant of the planch and front lever are minimal compared to the upper body componant. Doing the GHD work will help, but you'll be able to hold the torso position long before you have the upper body strength to do the rest.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Mr. Harrell, of course, knows this better than me, but I have been doing some weighted glute-ham sit-ups heavy for 3x10 and have found that has helped me out considerably (I am training the lever by lowering through lever with one leg extended and one tucked to my chest right now).

Weighted ghd sit-ups are great when done full ROM. The record at my gym is 45 kilos behind the head (this was done by an 85 kilo or lighter lifter). Best I've done is 15x10.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
BTW are you holding the weight at your chest or overhead. Putting the weight overhead will be more benificial to these types of motions.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Neal Winkler

Profile:
One could then do heavy rows or bench press/weighted pushups to simulate the rowing or pushing motion. Do you think this would work Roger?
Old 03-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
On the heavy rows you'd need to think about pulling your hands down to your hips while keeping yourself quite upright.

I've not known anyone who has improved planch strength through pushups and/or bench press. Straight arm dumbell work is far more effective.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
Neal Winkler

Profile:
The exercise where you have the dumbell by your hips and then raise it above you?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Both that, and doing the same motion lying on your back. Doing them lying on your back will help lead to a maltese as well.