CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Stephen Searcy

Profile:
Need advice on purchasing a bike...

Looking to find an entry level road bike for a couple of triathlons I'm doing this coming year. I want to get one for cheap, that can be used for a couple of years.

I found this one listed online and would love any feedback from those who know. I'm a novice to the specifics of what's good, bad or indifferent and want to make sure I'm waking a wise purchase. I think I may be able to get the owner down to $550 or so. I've checked a ton of reviews online and this bike has had a lot of positive feedback and sold new for around $1,000 to $1,400.

Who better to turn to for advice than this knowledgeable group?? Thanks for any help, advice, or recommendations.

Section: Bike
Type: For Sale
Item: 2007 Trek 1500
Price: $650.00 or best offer

Description:
Trek 1500--9 Speed Road Bike, 58cm. frame with 700 Bontrager wheels Mixed components with SRAM Force Crank and brakes/Shimano 105 rear derailleur. Just had it tuned. Less than 1000 miles.

Link to Picture
YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 02-15-2009 at 10:35 PM..
Old 02-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Frederik Beck

Profile:
Re: Need advice on purchasing a bike...

Looks good to me.
The main thing I'd worry about, when buying a used bike, is whether there is wear or damage ball bearings, crank, gear or other rotating parts. ANd of course if you feel comfortable. And there's really no other way to test it, but to try out the bike.
I just replaced conus? and balls in my rear bearing on my track bike ( a single speed Specialized ). When doing so I found out that Specialized parts are Taiwan produced crap, therefore finding a conus and matching balls took me the better part of a day, and a great deal of luck. So really my experience is: Stick with something you can get parts for, Shimano is probably one of the safer bets.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Been out of pruchasing bikes for a bit. By 9 speed, they mean the rear cassette?
You may want to look into the Giant OCR series. I have one and it's fantastic.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Quinn Walkley

Profile:

You also need to see if you fit on a 58cm bike. You could go to a store and they can fit you on a bike and that would be a good way to see if it is even a good fit for you.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Thomas Burns

Profile:

Most of the Trek 1500 bikes come stock with Shimanoís 105-package group. The 105s are a good entry-level package below Shimanoís Dura-Ace and Ultegra line of components. The SRAM force cranks are an upgrade and if those are the full carbon version thatís a plus. I canít tell from the pick but you want to ask the seller how long are the crank arms. You will get allot of different opinions on this but if the cranks are 170mm, great for sprinting, those may not serve your purpose compared to 175mm which will give you more torque for longer rides. Also, find out what the gear ratio is on the front chain rings and cassette, example, an 11-21 cassette will be great for flat areas but might be a little pain-full if you ride in the hills; then you might look at a 12-25.

As stated in previous post if your going to put some hours on the bike you want to make sure itís going to fit. You donít want your body to fit into the bike but the bike to fit your body. Sometimes a little tough to do on a stock bike, if you can go to a local bike shop and get fitted properly then test ride a few bikes that will help in your evaluation. The last thing you want is to develop sore knees or an aching lower back because the bike doesnít fit properly. Good Luck.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Michael Ward

Profile:

Stephen

First go to a local bike shop and get them to fit you for a proper size bike, good bikes start around $800 and can go all the way to $6000. You state you want to do a few triathalons, a good bike can last you many years. I'm still riding a bike that I bought 1985 to do a few triathalons.

Look for good parts, minimum components will be shimano 105, next step up will be Ultegra then Dura-Ace. Research on the net before you buy any used bike. Stick with a good bike shop, reason is that you will enjoy riding and they will be a source of good help, advice and service.

Again, good fit important, next good components, then get a good seat.

Just my 2 cent.

Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Scott Brodersen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ward View Post
Stephen

First go to a local bike shop and get them to fit you for a proper size bike, good bikes start around $800 and can go all the way to $6000. You state you want to do a few triathalons, a good bike can last you many years. I'm still riding a bike that I bought 1985 to do a few triathalons.

Look for good parts, minimum components will be shimano 105, next step up will be Ultegra then Dura-Ace. Research on the net before you buy any used bike. Stick with a good bike shop, reason is that you will enjoy riding and they will be a source of good help, advice and service.

Again, good fit important, next good components, then get a good seat.

Just my 2 cent.

Mike
I agree wholeheartedly with what Mike said. Fit is very important - you want to be comfortable so that you actually enjoy the ride, feel confident, and get best performance. If you buy used, you might not be getting a bike that suits your body dimensions and flexibility.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

There was a great post within the last year about checking for fit on a bike. If you dig around a bit, you should be able to find it.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Jonathan Schuba

Profile:

I work at a local bike shop, so of course I'm going to say that that's where you need to start. All the time, we get people coming in to get sized on bikes or fitted to a used bike they just bought. Size and fit are, more than anything, what makes a bike work for you. Just imagine running in shoes that are a size too big; it would be painful and make you hate running. It's the same with a bike. Don't sacrifice good fit to get a 'good deal'.

My technical opinion on that bike is that it's a great entry-level bike. I was disappointed when Trek phased it out because it was the perfect blend of good parts and low cost. With the component upgrades and the low mileage, that's the right price (as long as it fits).

If you go to a shop and they tell you that you'd fit a 58, which usually means you're about 5'11" to 6'1", and you do decide to buy, make sure to take it back and have them fit you to your new bike. I've helped so many people who've been riding a poorly adjusted bike and have been having all sorts of joint issues. Often, they can be solved in as little as a half hour and a little experience. Don't let that be you, just a little time spent at the beginning will reap great benefits.

Happy riding, and good luck.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
Clay Jones

Profile:

Decent bike. Technically it is an 18 speed, as you have a double up front. Just like my bike.

Take Jonathan's advice. Fit always trumps low cost. Get sized by a pro.