CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Stephen R. Lampl
Member Stephen R. Lampl is offline
 
Stephen R. Lampl's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Twain Harte  CA
Posts: 4,965
Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

Well......here goes nothing. The bad news.........starting out and posting pitiful results. The good news...........Everything's looking up from here!!!!!

First logged WOD: "Michael."
Three rounds of (for time): 41:49.
800m (substituted rowing for running - - blisters on feet).
50 back extensions
50 sit ups

Broke up the back extensions and sit-ups into smaller sets, as I was gasping for air and/or couldn't complete each exercise in one full set.

Completed the workout with the 1,1,1,1,1. series (Level 1) of the Recon Ron pull up program followed by day 100Pushup program, day 2.

I was "dead when done," but feel great now!!
__________________
Steve 5'10"/197/60 yrs. My Log Perseverance through adversity
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Stephen R. Lampl
Member Stephen R. Lampl is offline
 
Stephen R. Lampl's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Twain Harte  CA
Posts: 4,965
Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

Rest day today..............not!
Felt so good I had to do something. Stationary cycling 30:00 (had to go to L7 to get my old ticker to rise above 120 BPM).

Recon-Ron pull-up program L1 (wk-2) [1,1,1,1,1]
I think I got my first DHPU, but I'm not sure. Got the chin over the bar, but pulled (didn't kick) my legs up a bit toward the top 'cause I was strugglin'. Does it count?

Did the other four with jump assist.
Tried kipping, but can't get it down yet.
__________________
Steve 5'10"/197/60 yrs. My Log Perseverance through adversity
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Stephen R. Lampl
Member Stephen R. Lampl is offline
 
Stephen R. Lampl's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Twain Harte  CA
Posts: 4,965
Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

9/18/08:

WU: Versa Climber 10:00 minutes.

"Grace" Clean and Jerk 30 reps 135/95/65/broom stick for time.
Didn't happen, as my form for the C&J sucked-practiced with empty 45# bar.

Substitute WOD:
Shoulder Press (Smith Machine) at 50# plus carriage wt. X 30 reps. No time.
Leg Press: 165/255/345 # (75# carriage included) X 21/15/9 reps.
Lo Squat Machine: 50# plus carriage, 10 reps X 3 sets
Upright Row (45# bar) X 30 reps
Pull-ups: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1. Got one real, DHPU - no kicking!
Jumped on the last 5 - 6. Can't get kipping down yet!

Felt great too!
__________________
Steve 5'10"/197/60 yrs. My Log Perseverance through adversity
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
Stephen Smith
Member Stephen Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Murrieta  CA
Posts: 1,230
Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

Hey, had to come over here and pull for a fellow Stephen! Looks like you're off to a good start, but you might want to think about looking at the BrandX scaled workouts and ease into the WOD's a little more. http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....a9cdcec3157228

The machine work you subbed for 'Grace' will still benefit you, but a scaled version of the actual WOD will be better, and will help your form and progress you toward doing the workouts as Rx'd in the long run!

Anyway, ! Stick with it, and you really will be amazed at the results!
__________________
m.48.5'7".185# Current lifts: Bench 245#, Squat 335#, Deadlift 405#, Press 170#
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...824#post945824
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Stephen R. Lampl
Member Stephen R. Lampl is offline
 
Stephen R. Lampl's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Twain Harte  CA
Posts: 4,965
Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Smith View Post
Hey, had to come over here and pull for a fellow Stephen! Looks like you're off to a good start, but you might want to think about looking at the BrandX scaled workouts and ease into the WOD's a little more. http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....a9cdcec3157228

The machine work you subbed for 'Grace' will still benefit you, but a scaled version of the actual WOD will be better, and will help your form and progress you toward doing the workouts as Rx'd in the long run!

Anyway, ! Stick with it, and you really will be amazed at the results!
Stephen,

Great to hear from a namesake!! Thanks for the pointer R.e., the BrandX scaled WOD. I tried scaling just to the 45# bar, but to say my form was absolutely horrific would be a complement. Figured I'd revisit the videos, graphics, and go through the motions with a bar again S L O W L Y. Not to say I'm OCD about it, but I am careful. What's cool is that no one on this forum will let me do things incorrectly. And, I already see (and feel) results just in a little over a week and a half. Talk about being amazed!

Thanks again, Stephen!
__________________
Steve 5'10"/197/60 yrs. My Log Perseverance through adversity
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Stephen R. Lampl
Member Stephen R. Lampl is offline
 
Stephen R. Lampl's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Twain Harte  CA
Posts: 4,965
Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

9/19/08

5K Run for Time. Blisters still a problem.

Elliptical Trainer @ L4/101 watts; 16.5 MPH. Time: 11:56.80
HR at 140 - 145 (.87 - .90 of max).
StairMaster @ L5/168 - 188 watts (20:00). HR @ 145 - 150.

Tore loose some scar tissue from old R/bicep tear yesterday, no new injury, but no upper body work today, per Dr.
__________________
Steve 5'10"/197/60 yrs. My Log Perseverance through adversity
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
Stephen R. Lampl
Member Stephen R. Lampl is offline
 
Stephen R. Lampl's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Twain Harte  CA
Posts: 4,965
Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

9/20/08: "Filthy Fifty" Scaled to "Pack" level (35)
35 Box Jump (No box avail, used Reebok Step w/ 3 risers).
35 Jumping Pull-ups
35 Kettlebell Swings - 1 Pood (No KBs avail - did 50# dumbbell swings)
35 Walking Lunges
35 Knees to Elbows
35 Push Press (45# bar)
35 Back Extensions
35 Wall Ball shots (No wall ball avail - did dumbbell thrusters w/15# Dbs)
35 Double-unders (did 35 singles - not coordinated enough yet for DUs).
35 Burpees - - Failed! (worn-out and collapsed in heap on ground after 1).

Time: 42:18. Note: Had to rest often toward the end of the workout - couldn't get my HR down or catch my breath.
__________________
Steve 5'10"/197/60 yrs. My Log Perseverance through adversity
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Carla Tremblay
Member Carla Tremblay is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 1,725
Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
9/20/08: "Filthy Fifty" Scaled to "Pack" level (35)
35 Box Jump (No box avail, used Reebok Step w/ 3 risers).
35 Jumping Pull-ups
35 Kettlebell Swings - 1 Pood (No KBs avail - did 50# dumbbell swings)
35 Walking Lunges
35 Knees to Elbows
35 Push Press (45# bar)
35 Back Extensions
35 Wall Ball shots (No wall ball avail - did dumbbell thrusters w/15# Dbs)
35 Double-unders (did 35 singles - not coordinated enough yet for DUs).
35 Burpees - - Failed! (worn-out and collapsed in heap on ground after 1).

Time: 42:18. Note: Had to rest often toward the end of the workout - couldn't get my HR down or catch my breath.
Great work Stephen! This workout is a killer (scaled or not)!!! And burpees suck! You will only get stronger from here though...

What is your history as far as working out, sports, etc? What are your goals in doing CF? Sorry for all the questions but I'm curious!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Stephen R. Lampl
Member Stephen R. Lampl is offline
 
Stephen R. Lampl's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Twain Harte  CA
Posts: 4,965
Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Tremblay View Post
Great work Stephen! This workout is a killer (scaled or not)!!! And burpees suck! You will only get stronger from here though...

What is your history as far as working out, sports, etc? What are your goals in doing CF? Sorry for all the questions but I'm curious!
Carla,

Bless you! You made my day! I was kinda kicking the can around 'cause I was bummed about how much I had to stop and rest. As for the questions, no problema - - ask away!!

I didn't really get into competitive sports until late (Junior year) in HS and took up tennis - - really did well. Played recreationally (sp?) in college. Also played basketball in HS, but wasn't really tall enough or a good enough ball handler to make the teams. I like to run, but am an "LSD" man (Long Slow Distance). I have always (since college) lifted for health and stayed in pretty good shape (cardio) until April, 2007 when I fell and tore three of the four quad tendons in my R/knee. Discovered CF two weeks ago and am hooked.

Goals.....What goals? No, seriously, I'd like to run competitively (we have a very active sports community here in and around Sonora, CA), possibly cycle, though I'm afraid some drunk will come by and nail me; and I'd LOVE to get into a volleyball league or play beach volleyball competitively. As for CF, my goal is to be able to do most WODs without scaling in one year. I'm fairly strong, just outta shape, so I have no endurance. Simply pushing iron around is certainly different than the CF concepts behind conditioning. Makes perfect sense, though. I used do some "explosive" training with weights; especially working my legs. I doubt I could ever repeat some of the #s I used to put up, since I'm twenty or more years older than I was when that occurred. But CF not only ensures we attain good core strength; there is certainly enough "explosive" and forced-rep training (not to failure, of course) to go around. Plus, we learn to use our body weight too! I can't wait to rep out with pull-ups. Been a dream of mine (I'm like some of the rest - - dream about doing PUs in my sleep). Never have been able to do more than 50 - 60 pushups at once, even at my prime, so I'm doing one of those pushup programs to work up to at least 100........I'd also like to run a solid, sub 7:00 mile. Did a 5:50 once - - thought I'd internally hemmhorage (LOL)!!

I imagine these goals aren't too lofty, but what do you think, if you don't mind my asking? PS...sorry for the long-winded answers!!
__________________
Steve 5'10"/197/60 yrs. My Log Perseverance through adversity
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Carla Tremblay
Member Carla Tremblay is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 1,725
Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
Carla,

Bless you! You made my day! I was kinda kicking the can around 'cause I was bummed about how much I had to stop and rest. As for the questions, no problema - - ask away!!

I didn't really get into competitive sports until late (Junior year) in HS and took up tennis - - really did well. Played recreationally (sp?) in college. Also played basketball in HS, but wasn't really tall enough or a good enough ball handler to make the teams. I like to run, but am an "LSD" man (Long Slow Distance). I have always (since college) lifted for health and stayed in pretty good shape (cardio) until April, 2007 when I fell and tore three of the four quad tendons in my R/knee. Discovered CF two weeks ago and am hooked.

Goals.....What goals? No, seriously, I'd like to run competitively (we have a very active sports community here in and around Sonora, CA), possibly cycle, though I'm afraid some drunk will come by and nail me; and I'd LOVE to get into a volleyball league or play beach volleyball competitively. As for CF, my goal is to be able to do most WODs without scaling in one year. I'm fairly strong, just outta shape, so I have no endurance. Simply pushing iron around is certainly different than the CF concepts behind conditioning. Makes perfect sense, though. I used do some "explosive" training with weights; especially working my legs. I doubt I could ever repeat some of the #s I used to put up, since I'm twenty or more years older than I was when that occurred. But CF not only ensures we attain good core strength; there is certainly enough "explosive" and forced-rep training (not to failure, of course) to go around. Plus, we learn to use our body weight too! I can't wait to rep out with pull-ups. Been a dream of mine (I'm like some of the rest - - dream about doing PUs in my sleep). Never have been able to do more than 50 - 60 pushups at once, even at my prime, so I'm doing one of those pushup programs to work up to at least 100........I'd also like to run a solid, sub 7:00 mile. Did a 5:50 once - - thought I'd internally hemmhorage (LOL)!!

I imagine these goals aren't too lofty, but what do you think, if you don't mind my asking? PS...sorry for the long-winded answers!!
You will be amazed at how quickly your metabolic conditioning will improve by doing CF. I thing your goals are definitely attainable especially if you are already very strong... The endurance will come soon enough.

I noticed you're doing the Recon Pull-up program? I'm doing this too, just taking 2 weeks off of it to give my shoulder a break. I started CF back in April and couldn't do a single dead hang pull-up. I can do 8 now! I'm really amazed at how fast I got them.

I don't know much about tendon injuries. Did you have to get surgery? Are you still having knee issues?

Thanks for the background info! I'm looking forward to watching you improve and to setting many PRs here!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Steve's starting Crossfit!' Log Stephen Smith Workout Logs 394 12-16-2008 11:23 AM
Steve's Log Steve Austin Workout Logs 8 01-20-2008 04:34 PM
Steve's Log Just started to keep track on Computer Have a look please Steve Sheffar Workout Logs 0 03-23-2007 08:21 AM
News about Meat, leucine and Aging Paul Symes Nutrition 1 12-14-2005 04:14 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.