CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Adrian "Hank" Garfield
Member Adrian

Profile:
I am in NY, and the temp is almost 100. I just tried to do the CF warm-up, within which I can usually do 12 chin-ups, and by 10 today I was wrecked, and not even feeling ready for more of anything. I don't usually roll at a Matt G level, but this is ridiculous.

I wonder what do others do when faced with high temperatures? On one hand I am tempted to listen to news and just take the day off, but the other part of me doesn't feel "right" skipping a workout and wants to do something.

i was thinking of maybe cutting my reps in half, and dragging between exercises, instead of going from one to the other. maybe build up to being used to this heat, and doing a smaller version instead of skipping totally. perhaps concentrating on single or double reps of a strength based routine, instead of higher rep bodyweight things? much like today's WOD, but continuing the same idea until the heat breaks.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Yael Grauer

Profile:
This probably goes without saying, but just keep drinking tons of water throughout the day. I try to drink at least a gallon a day, whether I'm working out or not.

There's also some breathing excercises I learned from a yoga teacher that help cool your body down. Roll your tongue and stick it out a little, breath in through your rolled tongue, then out through the nose. Or if you can't roll your tongue, just grit your teeth and breath in through your mouth, then put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and breath out.

Or you can train after sunset or very early in the morning, if that works with your schedule.
(Sorry if all this is obvious...)
Old 08-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Yael's point about the water is most important. And I say more like 1.5gallons or more. Get yourself a big Nalgene bottle or something, fill it and drink it empty several times a day. This is the key to acclimatization. Get the water into you... Also drinking warm tea or coffee can help by raising your mean core temperature which will allow for a more rapid acclimatization.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I trained in Davis CA for several years. One of the gyms I trained at had no AC at all. 110 in the gym wasn't uncommon in the summer. Lots of water. You're getting slammed because you are not used to working out in the heat. Take someone out of the climate zone they are used to training in and they get slammed. Do the workouts, just be super aware of yourself. Go a bit easy, but use the hot days to accomodate some. Look up information on signs of heatstroke so you know what things to tell you to stop.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Ian Carver

Profile:
Great advice from Yael, Pierre, and Roger. It has been pretty hot here in the Sacramento,Ca. area too this summer. With that in mind, I have been very conscious of my water intake, electrolyte balances, and I have turned the speed of my workouts back a bit. I am still going hard, but not quite at top level. This gives me a bit slower time (although it doesn't feel like it) and I can pay more attention to little quirks in my form. As everyone has pointed out, the change in climate is hard on the body and you will feel the loss of energy and rise in heart rate immediately. If you feel faint or dizzy, pull the big red handle and call it good. Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Hot?! It is 4pm here in Vegas and 105 in the shade on my back patio :-)

It takes some getting used to for sure but it can be done. Like the others have already said, drink lots and lots of water. Heat exhaustion and stroke are real, just read the news. I've had a case of heat exhaustion myself while excavating for concrete in someone's backyard several years back.

If you can, work out EARLY, like the crack of dawn early. And begin hydrating before you work out.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
At first when Sac was getting hot, I was hating it. Too much AC'd cushy gymnastics gym. Now it's a bit invigorating as I can feel really loose and the normal sweating by being out in the heat is kind of a boon. It's kind of disgusting but relaxing as well.

Still, all in all, we're trying to train in the heat in the afternoons in the shady areas. We just have to keep hydrated and enough food in the tank. I just burn through while active in the heat it seems.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
paul arestan

Profile:

I put this article together a while back. It is based on the work of Dr Louise Burke in The Complete Guide to Food for Sports Performance.
This gives an idea of the amount of fluid lost during exercise, and therefore the amount that needs to be taken to avoid dehydration.
It's not really technical but you'll need a pen and a piece of paper.
http://www.fitnessdotcom.com/HOW%20M...OU%20DRINK.htm
Old 08-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #9
Travis Loest

Profile:
I am currently deployed to Iraq and the best advice there is for work in the heat is "DRINK WATER", drink it all the time and drink it constantly, don't drink huge quantities at one time, you'll flush out your electrolytes, try to stay away from gatorade and other sports drinks unless you're conducting exercise for extended periods of time in the heat. If you do drink the sport drink, dilute it about 60% sport drink/40% water. Early morning is better than late evening, the ground has had a chance to cool off, in the late evening you can still get cooked from the heat coming off the ground.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:26 AM   #10
Anthony Marzolf

Profile:
Hiya Hank,
I'm down in NC and I feel your pain man. This summer has been miserable so far. The heat index is approaching record highs. I myself have been trying to work out indoors, or after the sun has set and the temp drops. Other than that, bring a towel and dry yourself off every few minutes, that seems to help me. A thinner layer of sweat evaporates faster, I guess.
It's old and cliche, but it's true. It's not so much the HEAT... yadda yadda humidity.