CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Jason Lin

Profile:
Spin?

Here is a completely novice question: I hear a lot about the spin on the bar. Now why is it important for a bar to spin? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
Re: Spin?

Most bars don't spin as far as I know, but a spinning bar makes it harder on your grip since you are forced to grab the from the bottom the bar while hanging on, and a non-spinning(standard) bar allows you to kind of keep your hands on top of the bar for a better grip.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Steven Ngo

Profile:

i may be mistaken, but i think Jason is talking about a barbell whereas nick is talking about a pullup bar?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:

He is talking about the spin on a lifting bar.

The dynamics of the lifts require your hands to rotate with respect to the weights. At the start of the pull your hands are above the bar, racked, your hands are below the bar.
Without a spinning bar you would have to let the bar spin with respect to your hands, or turn the whole mass, like you can do with a dumbbell. The dumbbell has much smaller inertial mass though.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Jason,

The spin is important on an Olympic bar because when you are doing the Olymic lifts (C&J and Snatch) the weights can remain neutral whereas if if the were tied to a non-spinning bar they would be forced to rotate and cause excessive torque to be applied to the users hands and wrists.

Think about the steps of a clean and the relationship of the users hands and elbows to the bar. In the pull(s) your hands are above the bar pulling upward and your elbows are above your hands. During the transistion to the catch, when you drop into a squat and catch the bar in the rack position, your hands have to travel 270 degrees to the rack position and your elbows end up in front of your hands. As this entire motion is done without regripping the bar, the spin is necessary for this reason as well. If you are looking at bars for xfit, I would spend some time reading the forums. All bars are non created equal. Besides spin, knurling, finish and and the types of bearings are all factors that can make a bar good enough for Oly lifting. I bought the Crossfit bar http://store.wfwclub.com/crsp.html which is a great deal because it is good enough to Oly lift with but didn't break the bank. The $30 bars from Dicks will not do the job and there is no need for a typical novice Crossfitter to spend $500-$1000 on a really great bar.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Jason Lin

Profile:

Thanks, Matt and Paul. That makes sense. I got a CF bar from Pendlay. But I am complete beginner when it comes to cleans and snatches. I'm just learning to use the hook grip right now and I have not been feeling the spin of the bar. Right now it feels more like it "falls" onto the fingertips when I rack the bar.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
Paul Findley

Profile:

Be sure you are not reverse curling it, seek a more vertical bar path with a quick rotation as you pull under. You might make the bar "rattle" with the speed of this rotation.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
Kevin Ziegenhorn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lin View Post
Thanks, Matt and Paul. That makes sense. I got a CF bar from Pendlay. But I am complete beginner when it comes to cleans and snatches. I'm just learning to use the hook grip right now and I have not been feeling the spin of the bar. Right now it feels more like it "falls" onto the fingertips when I rack the bar.
To be clear, the part of the bar you hold on to doesn't "spin" relative to your hands, so the feel of the bar relative to the fingertips as it comes to the rack position isn't really what is meant by the spin of an Olympic bar. What spins are the sleeves relative to the rest of the bar. To see what exactly this means, rack the bar unweighted on a squat rack , hold the middle of the bar still with one hand, and with your other hand reach over to one of the sleeves and spin it. That is the spin people are talking about. For why that is important, see Matt's post above.