CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Anthony Ronchi

Profile:
Decreasing Body Fat maintaining weight

I figure Ill go to the pros for this. My goal for crossfit has been to reach a level of athleticism and fitness I otherwise did not have. I own run a gymnastics and cheerleading facility. Ill start by saying that I have little to no prior experience in this sport aside from spectating. I was an avid lifter I w/o about 4-5 times a week. While I encountered large gains in strength It seemed to be rather irrelevant strength. Example One of my trainers a jr olympian would come every once in a while to my globo gym with me and workout. I took great pride in watching him suffer with weights (made me feel good to know I was stronger I guess) Well then he would do things like press handstands on the floor and the benches. Planches etc... I had been working out for 2 years now I could barely hold an Lsit. Thats when I confirmed yes I was bigger yes I was stronger No it was not functional. It was then I decided that their must be more I began doing all the gymnastics excersises compounded with my strength training with little result. About a month later while researching the p90x (one of my trainers is on and swears by he did lose about 7% bf at 37 yrs old hes 6% bf I believe so great results.) he would tell me about these compound seemingly unorthodox workouts, i wanted in. So I researched it and the infamous 300 workout and stumbled across a comment from a xfitter and I was like whats crossfit. Bam here I am in my third month. What a diff my posture is diff my energy is diff, my coordination is increased and my agility and stamina as well. I love where Im at. Heres my question yes im a zoner now too. As a strength trainer I am was higher on my bf Im now at 18% (6', 207lbs) It is the season I would like to lose some BF approx 10% my question is should I just be doing the WOD's like I have been or ramp up the training. I do not want to overtrain some of the WODS leave me crippled for days i love it. I read about SS but that seems outside of what im asking for as its a gainer prog. Any ideas or an arrow in the right direction would be awesome thanks again. Now you know my story and my goals. thanks again

Last edited by Anthony Ronchi; 07-01-2008 at 09:46 AM..
Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:
Re: Decreasing Body Fat maintaining weight

I think you need to focus on making small adjustments to your diet until it is just right. For me this means eating a little more than the zone calculator sugests, and not drinking much alcohol. For you it could mean the opposite, or something totally different. A lot of folks reduce carbs and add fat blocks. Once you have it right, you should start losing a pound every week or two, without feeling excessively hungry.

You will not be able to gain muscle at the same rate you will be able to lose fat. It is not possible.

If you want to improve you gymnastic skills, you need to practice and lose weight. You probably know that at 6' tall you have a disadvantage. A planche at 6' is very hard.

Finally, if you're not doing the WOD at an elite level, don't do more. You will burn out. I recently needed to take a week off. I have a shoulder injury, so I took a break from upper body exercises. By elimanting upper body exercioses, I was doing double leg exercises. My hip flexors were still a little sore after my week off and I gained a couple pounds. Overtraining is counterproductive to weight loss and increased performance.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

Maybe if the workouts are leaving you to taxed, try the step down scaled version on the brandx website. Thats probably where i am going to start back up cause of the injury i caused to my lower back. Also you say that you run a gymnastics center, that would be my heaven. Workout with your kids more, join the open gym sessions you have, i love going to open gym and working on my tumbling and gymnastics skills. That being said i never did gymnastics myself either, but everytime i go my whole body gets worked as hard as i can stand. I work out with a buddy who used to do gymnastics and martial arts and his core workouts are killer, they will help with those functional gymnastics type exercises.

I guess that is just a few words from me, do you have a workout log on crosfit here so we can see where you are at on your WOD's? Just a question that may help others help you.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Jake Galgon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Walsh View Post
For me this means eating a little more than the zone calculator sugests, and not drinking much alcohol. For you it could mean the opposite
For what it's worth the low-food high-booze diet is a good time but I've always had pretty bad results with it
Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Anthony Ronchi

Profile:

Yeah I never seem to have good results with the low food high alc diet either.. Yet I always seem to try it haha.. I do on occasion workout with the gymnasts however its tuff their brutal lol. Plus it doesnt help that I make up the WO and they can beat me at some lol. Ill try manipulating my zone a bit.. I have decreased my carb blocks from 21 to 18 -20 depending on the workouts etc.. these early WOD posts have really helped me prepare the night before with good results. Since i began CF i have lost 4% bf without really zoning well. I just had a pretty bad breakup of about 4 years so we can all see how the low food and high booze diet came to exist haha. Since then I have decided to go all out on my diet and excersize its my outlet. Think god for CF I mean I always worked out but now Its like I have a place to go. Thanks Coach. Thanks guys for your input.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Galgon View Post
For what it's worth the low-food high-booze diet is a good time but I've always had pretty bad results with it
C'mon, fashion models do great on the cigarettes and champagne diet!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:

You lost 4% in 3 months without a great diet? What are you worried about? If you clean up your eating you'll be around 10% body fat in no time.