CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Sam Streck

Profile:
Any one here have/use sandbags?

Sandbags are going to make up a good portion of my home gym and I am wondering what if any ideas people have as to how to split up the weights, and what to use to hold them. I am looking at getting 200-250lbs of sand to begin with, and split it up as follows: 4*25lbs, 6*10lbs 4*5lbs and 4*2.5 with 10lbs left over to keep as a reserve. I have a 3-4 foot duffel bag that doing a quick test seems to be adequate for benching, but should I maybe look into getting a large laundry bag as well? I know how to make the smaller bags, but I just am wondering what peoples opinions are on holding them all together.

I've read the article at www.rosstraining.com, so I know how to build the bags of sand, but I was just getting a broader idea of what people might use to hold them and how they have them distributed.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Re: Any one here have/use sandbags?

I have a 120 lb. sandbag. It's two 60 lb. sand tubes (the kind you put in the back of a truck for traction) side-by-side in a heavy duty construction garbage bag. The whole thing is surrounded by several layers of duct tape. It's about 2 1/2 feet long by a foot wide.

The second sandbag I have is Ironmind sandbag kit. I have a few of the yellow sandbags stuffed with sand in various weights (10, 25, and 50 lbs., IIRC).

Dan
Old 12-04-2007, 05:21 AM   #3
Thomas Covington

Profile:

I ripped through a large laundry bag in no time with 80# of sand. I now use a heavy duty duffel bag and have no complaints.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Rahsaan Kimbrow

Profile:

i use an old heavybag.... but need to make a heavier bag....... one of these days...
Old 12-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Chris Robinson

Profile:

I use a canvas sports bag that I bought on sale at a sporting goods store. I bought 100lbs. of sand and made ten 10lb. bags using heavy duty trash bags that I bought at Lowes. The trash bags gave me enough room to put in 10-15lbs. of sand and then fold the bag over itself (like you would with a loaf of bread) essentially doubling the thickness. I then wrapped duct tape around each bag. In the 7 months that I've had my sandbags I've used them for a little of everything. I've put them all in the sports bag for sandbag workouts and I've used the individual bags to weigh down a pack for humps. They've been dropped, thrown, stepped on, and crushed, but I haven't had a single leak or spill.

Also, my sports bag could hold more than 100lbs. if I had fewer total bags of sand, but for right now I like the 10lb. increments because my wife uses it as well.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Sean McMaster

Profile:

I just made a sandbag last week after reading the article on rosstraining.com. I bought two 60-lb bags of sand at home depot and ordered a canvas sea bag online. I followed his easy version, putting the sand into doubled-up contractor trash bags of 30-lbs each. I will probably order a couple of smaller bags soon. The one I have now is big enough to hold all 120 lbs but I can't clean it yet.
I love it, though. And make sure you check out Greg Everett's nifty article on Performance menu if you haven't already. WFS
Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Sam Streck

Profile:

Thanks for the tips guys. That last link was a great find! Do you happen to know of any other ones? Finding stuff on google brings up a lot of stuff, but I was wondering if anyone has some quality links.