CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Mark Miller

Profile:
Today I offered up a free session for members at the gym I work out of in an attempt to drum up clients for an upcoming weekend session. The sign posted stated free session 0830-0930. I got 9 people to sign up. The session was rather basic, 400m Jog, CFWU 3 rds, then WOD of 3 rds of Run 400m with 3 bodyweight exercises 25 reps, 35-40 minutes for the group. Then we went into a cooldown and stretching mode. "Most" members were sweating, huffing and puffing and looked like they had a nice workout. However, two of the members asked if we were done? When I said yes they stated," We did not get an hour of cardio. You said the session would run from 0830-0930 now I am going to have to get on the bike for 20 more minutes." I was a little and shot back well maybe if you would have run harder you woud have felt like you got your moneys(sp?) worth from the FREEEE session. To wrap this up the members walked away in a huff and pretty much got me out of my grove. Any similar stories? Any better luck with free sessions?
This is probably in the wrong topic area, Lynne?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
Mark,
I can understand where you would be upset. The thing to remember is that CrossFit is not for everyone. It's the answer most of us are looking for, some people are just afraid to ask themselves the question. Remember some people don't/won't/can't accept it, or don't/won't/can't push themselves hard enough. They've gotten themselves into the mindset that the way they workout is the only way. Kinda like most CrossFitters.:angel_no: Continue to do the workout. Use your sucess as a way to show the effectiveness of CrossFit. Some of those "I need an hour of cardio" people might notice and ask for another try, some might not. You know what "they" say....
...you can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her smell the flowers.
I've had several experiences like that too. I'm in the military and there are several guys that are in my unit that love to lift weights, but that's all they do. They said I was nuts for doing CrossFit. I wasn't going to get "huge" or ripped. I wouldn't be able to max my PT test from CrossFit. Several of the guys that only lift failed their PT test, not a single one of the guys that CrossFits failed, or even came close to "the standard" most of us did great, I had a couple guys that did horrible on their prior PT test but 30 days after starting CrossFit there was a marked higher than expected improvement. Were talking 3 events 100 pts per event, 300 = max 180 = pass, guys that were getting 195-210 were now getting 260-270. Let the results speak for themsleves. If people don't want to listen, that's their problem. Don't lose sleep over them.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
If 7 out of 9 people liked the workout, then you have done more than you could of hoped for. Not everyone may like or try hard enough...but when they see others getting results down the road they will have to come back and ask why isn't their 60min of cardio getting results like those other people who only do 30min of intense exercise.

A 400 meter run in your mind may be a sprint...others may think you mean "jog". Thats just the misconception of how to effectively lose weight in todays jogging loving society.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Steve Rakow

Profile:
Mark-
I'd say you did well if 7 of the 9 typical gym members liked the class. Don't worry too much about the ones looking for 20 more min. of "cardio." They will take more time to convert. Keep doing what you do best - promote the best training program out there complete with the best instruction available. Those of us working in a big box have the challenge of trying to make people think differently about what fitness is and how to get it. The up side is, our pool of people is big. Keep doing your thing. Hook the ones that "get it." In time, the others will follow.

I did a demo class the Thurs before Christmas. I was surprised to have 12 people show up. My class format was similar to yours. 5 of 12 signed up for my Jan. 3, 6-week CF Essentials class. Not bad.

Keep doing what you are doing. Put your energy into the people that are willing to commit. The results will come in time and additional clients will soon line-up for your services.
Kelley Rakow
Old 01-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Next time, just post a starting time: "CrossFit workout at 8:30." As long as you start on time, it's as advertised.

Some intro talk from you at the beginning about the pillars of CrossFit (functionality, intensity/power, variety) and the effectiveness of higher intensity, shorter duration workouts might help them put it into context. Along with a few other points:

1) Intensity is on an individual scale; each of you has to simultaneously push yourself hard and know your limits.

2) In the beginning, it's best to establish good fundamentals and consistency and then up the intensity as you get used to the workouts, so if it seems easy now, a) you might not be working hard enough, b) you might want to wait to see how you feel tomorrow before making that call, and c) don't worry, it will challenge you in the future.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Mark Miller

Profile:
Thanks Carrie good stuff.
Mark
Old 01-15-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Carrie had some good ideas.

The basic idea is that if you are going to offer a radically new paradigm--cardio doesn't have to be aerobic a la Dr. Cooper--you need to make sure everyone understands that. They were likely trying to stay in some sort of target heartrate (remember those charts?) and just didn't get the concept.

I'm not in the personal training field yet, so I unfortunately can't speak from experience in that specific arena, but I've been in Sales for a long time, and can say that if you have a good value proposition, you have to articulate it clearly, in terms your prospects understand. Even having done that, you will lose sales, for both good and bad reasons. Finally, one good phrase I learned from a crook I had the misfortune of working for, but who was a consummate salesman is "never get mad at your money". It's crude, but if this is how you want to make your money, it's apropo.

One other, irrelevant but funny classic, from another dirtbag (who self evidently failed even here to practice what he preached): "Your sincerity has to be sincere". You can't make this stuff up.