CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Rick West

Profile:
Whenever I'm training w/people I don't know well, I always look for the older guys. I have more trust in folks that will hurt for weeks like me than youngsters that can recover from an organ transplant in days.lol
I saw Bujinkan mentioned. We "Bujinkan" are deep here in C Calif. I started in 91 w/Van Donk.
I like to ride my MTB bike, just did 1/2 Century and do inversion to stretch my beat up spine. Usually I do a full body circut of opposing supersets. I want to get back in gym during the bad weather. I'm open to this program, anything I should know? TIA

Ricisan
Old 01-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Where in Central Calfornia are you?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Rick West

Profile:
I live in Stockton, about 50mi south of Sacramento.

Ricisan
Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Rick West

Profile:
Is anyone old around here besides me? How does this program work for those that have old injuries and slow recovery? I see potential here, I just need to find it. TIA

Ricisan
Old 01-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Rick;
I'm pretty sure your not alone however, go easy on the "old". I remember a few people being chased around with a cane for such a comment.
Might I suggest reading thru the 'start here' & the FAQ. After that, you might want to start slow & scale your WOD.
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
(work/family safe) offers scaled workouts.

:Welcome:
Old 01-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:
Rick,
I'm 55 and set a Guinness World Record for 'Most Sit-ups' at 52. I feel 25.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Mark Brinton

Profile:
Hi Rick,

There are a number of us doing Crossfit in our 50's. I take a weekly group class and there is a gentleman in the class who is in his 80's. I think the answer to most (if not all) of your questions can be found in the resources provided on this website. Speaking for myself, I think Crossfit is very healthy. That said, you would not want to victimize yourself in applying Crossfit inappropriately so your concerns regarding applying Crossfit in 1) ways that do not exacerbate old injuries (btw; Crossfit has significant rehabilitative merit, IMHO) 2) ways that avoid new injuries are justified. The importance of obtaining good information (this website), good instruction (self or otherwise) on this program is of paramount importance. The importance of scaling the workout is paramount and follows from becoming informed. Michael has provided a link to a particularly valuable site that provides a series of scaled workouts. Done right, Crossfit is one of the healthiest pursuits around.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
rick, rounding the corner to 51. Bring it On! we only get better. the only thing i really have to be careful on is hand stand stuff. always exarcebates an old rotator cuff injury if i get into that stuff over a period of a few months. otherwise, i do a WOD as scheduled with specificity after every WOD and a second workout on my days off. Firefighter Stairclimb approaching as is the Bataan Death March. always keep moving. only way to go.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:19 AM   #9
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
Well, I almost qualify my 50th B-day is coming up quick. I also am a female and without the benefit of all the male hormones, I get your drift on recovery, etc. My advice. Start slow, scale back and see how it goes. The affiliate Brand X in Ramona CA posts scaled versions of the WOD. You can link them from the main page. The board has tons of information on the exercises, general information, terminology etc. Check out all the information on the main page. Make a diary of your work outs. You will change more than you can remember. It is good to look back when you are having a bad day. Also, the work outs that have names of people like Fran and Helen are the names of storms. These are bench mark work outs, often called “the girls”. Make up a grid for these so you can compare your progress.

The search engine is fantastic, and any question you can think of has probably already been asked. Under anti inflammatory drugs, there is a great post on muscle recovery. It was my godsend when I started.

We have a guy up at brand X that is 77. When he started he could barely walk around a 200 M lap. You should see him now, it is impressive. Just be reasonable and consistent. Don’t let excuses get in your way. As you age, your gains will dissipate fast. Better to go light then to skip workouts. Rule of thumb, when you can do the drill with intensity then add 10% or less to reps or weight, etc. No more than that, injuries come with egos, and take you out of the game. Welcome!

Skip: Go man go!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Rick West

Profile:
Thanks everyone for the support. I was looking at the video examples "excellent idea" and most of the exercises are familiar to me.
The development of better gymnastic skills could be a problem. I cartwheel OK and roll extensivly "Ukemi" but anything else that puts my azz over my head is questionable. I would like to work on a 1 handed cartwheel "other hand protects sword/weapon". I think some back to basic rehab would be a good place to start. TIA

Ricisan