CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
The other day after Saddam was hung, the local paper (St. Louis Post Dispatch) ran an article about a local man who was a nurse for Saddam while incarcerated. In the interview, the man made a comment something to the effect that Saddam had asked him to explain why the American's had come and done this to him and his country, and he answered by saying he he was just doing his job and soldiers don't get mixed up on politics.

So, my question is, should soldiers be concerned about the politics of war, and whether or not their "side" has the moral high ground in a conflict?

Here are some potential arguments that I see for each side:

YES:

Soldiers have been used as the pawns of evil men all throughout the history of the world to commit the greatest atrocities. Who has been more evil: The men who ordered the atrocities, or the men who carried them out? Perhaps there would of been a few less bad incidents in the past if soldiers were encouraged to think independently.

NO:

Following orders is what the men and women of the armed services signed up to do. They realized that's what their supposed to do, so they should just do it.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Anthony Marzolf

Profile:
It's my opinion that Soldiers should be Soldiers, and not let their particular political opinion stop them from doing their sworn duty. That's my 2 cents, anyway.
Every Soldier, Marine, Sailor, and Airman have a responsibility to obey any lawful order, and to refuse unlawful orders.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Indeed.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
Neal Winkler

Profile:
"How fortunate for leaders that men do not think." - Adolf Hitler
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Not sure how this can NOT turn political but we'll try.

Soldiers are and forever will be "concerned" with politics.

But the Catch 22 is that we've sworn an oath, and until our leaders are proven to be wrong or unlawful, it is our Lawful duty to follow orders given.

Doesn't mean I don't have opinions...but we all have opinions on how to do things better...there are systems in place to get those changes heard and in some cases instituted...unfortunately that sometimes takes time...sometimes a LONG time. Doesn't mean I should protest or further endanger the big picture (human life and lofty idealisms such as freedom, liberty, pursuit of happyness etc).
Old 01-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Bottom line, to be frank, every soldier is a citizen who has bought into the system.

There's just as much ownus on the civilian as the soldier for the countries actions...IMHO.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
In other words...(sorry), Hitler was just as thankful for the civilians who did nothing, as he was for the soldiers who followed orders.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Our soldiers are sworn to protect democracy, not to practice it.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
Couple of quotes come to mind.

" I may not like what you say. But I'll fight to ensure you have the freedom to say it"

and

"I didn't vote for you. But I will die for you."

Roy Boehm to President Kennedy as he entered the room.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
As I recall the oath I took "To support and defend the Constitution of the United States and obey the order of the President of the United State and those appointed over me," (Not verbatim, it has been a while)

There is an implied hierarcy, Constitution, President, others. If an order violates the consitiution, then should we disregard the other orders? I am sure the UCMJ would deal with that harshly. Implied, IMHO, is that the citizen soldier has the intellegence and character to ignore orders that they know to be in violation of our most sacred laws.

How about this can of worms, is it legal, under the consitiution to subjegate the soveriegnty of the United States to another power? Without amendment or vote?(United Nations)

Let us be clear: The United States is a Republic. Democracy deteriorates into popularity which turns into mob rule with turns into totalitarian governmants with end in bloody revolutions that create harsher and harsher governements. Given the sway and speed the "media" has in deciding elections, policies and programs, more vigilance is necessary today than ever against popularity contests for policy and public office.

Let's see what shakes out of this can of worms.

Yes - If a soldier is not conerned with politics, then he does not care for his life.

(Message edited by Dougchapman on January 03, 2007)