CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-14-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
Alicia Michel

Profile:
After practicing jumping pullups for 2 days, my right shoulder hurts and "cracks" when going down from the pullups. I thought it was the rotator cuff initially, but today it seemed more like the anterior deltoid that was hurting.

There isn't any pain when I do rotator cuff exercises or pulldowns.

Does anyone know what's wrong and what I can do to recover?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
"cracks" as you put them can be a lot of different things, that are really hard to differentiate without seeing you.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Crack, snapple, pop usually = labrum or AC joint in shoulder. Try palms toward you (classic chin-up) or neutral palms (palms facing). I've got the triple crown-labrum, rotator cuff, and chronic AC separation-and now know WAY too much about my shoulders!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Thanks for taking a look at this thread Darrell. I substituted pullups with pulldowns for today's WOD, with palms facing outwards, and there was the same pain, but only if I didn't really control the negatives and let it swing a bit.

Have tried neutral palms as well and same problem.

I'm pretty sure now it's around the anterior delt area and can there's a crack/click with the pain. Took a look at sportsinjuryclinic.net about AC joints (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...er/acjoint.htm) and don't really think it's a joint problem.

EDIT: crack/click sort of between 2 bits of muscle and not joints.. if that makes sense...

What's the labrum?

(Message edited by dx7 on June 15, 2006)
Old 06-16-2006, 03:56 AM   #5
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Alicia,

this is most probably not the anterior deltoid muscle - this is just the area that hurts. Your problem sounds like shoulder impingement (that is, the clicking is in the upper front of the shoulder).

For clicking like this, my prime candidates for massage are:

- the subscapularis / infraspinatus pair of rotator cuff muscles
- pectoralis major and minor

For other clicking (more in the back of the shoulder), try also rhomboid massage.

You can massage the subscapularis easily by sitting on a chair, putting the affected arm between your legs (arm pointing down at the floor), pushing the extended fingers of the other side hand into the upper outer side of the arm pit, slipping under the trapezius and massaging the hard knobble there (rim of the subscapularis); for added pressure, grip the elbow of the other side arm with the affected arm and pull towards your armpit.

You can massage the supraspinatus most easily by using a wall hook or similar device - see http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/17712.html. Tennis ball against the wall massage may also work well.

For more on what and how to massage, see http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/14941.html.

For guidelines on where the muscles are, see http://www.triggerpoints.net/_sgg/m1m1_1.htm.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 06-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Alicia:

Good advice from Christian on massage. Impingement is basically anatomy, determined by the angles of adjoining bones in the shoulder joint. A simple plain X-ray will allow an orthopod to determine this. Down-sloping angle = more impingement = more noise and pain. Rest, massage, heat before and ice after exercise, and proper technique are the answers.

The Labrum is part of the joing capsule. Pitchers often tear the rotator cuff and/or the Labrum. Need an MRI to see it, but many good orthopods, PT's, physiotherapists, and massotherapists can zero in on this area in order to diagnose by exam criteria. Unfortunately, the ultimate solution for a Labrum tear is repair if conservative measures don't allow you to do the stuff you like to do.

Rest, massage, a little heat now, anti-inflammatories. If it still hurts it's worth visiting your favorite bone doc. Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 AM   #7
Alicia Michel

Profile:
thanks for the advice christian and darrell! hope i'm massaging the right area :D