CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Jake Thornes

Profile:
A couple months ago my hand started hurting when I used the computer. Cracking it helped. Didn't really notice it for awhile. I started doing a lot of pushups and both hands started hurting.

I've been taking Aleeve and icing it but its still a little tight. When I make an ok symbol with my fingers and squeeze, sometimes it pops and feels better. I also hear a lot of cracks and pops on its own. My thumb on the same hand keeps locking up too. Think its regular tendinitis? My shoulder is popping too. I think its related. I have been taking aleeve for about three weeks.

Would stretching the area help?

I want to add that putting pressure on the middle of the underside of my arm, a couple inches from the wrist, helps.
(Message edited by jthorn on June 12, 2006)

(Message edited by jthorn on June 12, 2006)
Old 06-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Massage the muscles of the affected arm, from neck / shoulder down to the forearm. Look for tight places (knots or "rubber cable" muscles) and massage with good pressure, using a tennis ball on the wall or the knuckles of the other side fist. Probably massaging the forearm muscles will bring the most relief, but don't neglect the shoulder /neck muscles as they can restrict blood flow to the hand if tight.

See http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/14941.html for a short summary on why and how to massage.

If you have to type a lot or use a mouse on the computer all the time, think about getting a good ergonomic keyboard (e.g., Kinesis ergonomic keyboard) and a mouse replacement (e.g., graphic table with pen).

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian