CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-24-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Spent the good part of a rest day attending a great Krav Maga, line of fire handgun training seminar (some real arm twisting involved).

Following that, had two great workouts with significant progress on one armed handstands, one armed pullup work and and MU work.

I ended up with a screaming case of broken arm type of pain in L forearm and lesser pain in R forearm. Not too worried I am sure it will pass but man does it hurt
Old 01-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
I fixed my forearm splints when I got back into gymnastics by:

1. Rock climbing. Definitely works the forearm muscles a lot.

2. Using weights. Doing forearm exercises also helped strengthen the muscles.

3. Rice in a bucket. You fill up a bucket (large paint bucket is what we did) and then stick your forearm down inside it and rotate your balled fist in a circle for about 25 reps. Then do it the other way. The key to this exercise is keeping your forearm and elbow still and to not let them move. This isolates the forearm muscle and works the whole thing. I got HUGE pumps from this.

Basically you want to strengthen the muscle that runs along the bone of your forearm on the pinky side. This is very same to shin splints where you want to strengthen the muscle that runs along the shin (anterior tibialis).
Old 01-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Steven,
I think my problem is related to overdoing things.

20-30 reps of muscle ups for 12 days in a row in as few sets as possible. I think this was the biggest culprit.

one armed static handstand holds for 5 sets of 40 secs each arm for 7 days in a row.

work on trying to get a one armed pullup for 12 days in a row.

This was in addition to and prior to WOD, other weight work and done even on "rest days" and in addition to working out with the kids I help coach in soccer.

With all due respect to Matt G., I think I did overtrain (I certainly did under-recover). I just get so overzealous at times... I am taking a full two days of rest and only doing 2 circuits of 25 pushups, 25 reps of GHR situps, 15 deadhang pullups, 20 hollow rocks, back mobility and stretching in the morning. I not only ened up with forearm pain but a few old dings came back to haunt me as well.