CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
Kris Crowley

Profile:
I used to be able to do a wrestler's bridge, but know it hurts my hip flexors almost to where I feel them fail.

My left knee can really hurt like crap if I'm doing any sort of squat. It's almost like I have to take motrin. Sometimes it hurt without having to do exercise, like right now, in fact.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Kris, I feel your pain. I've got a bung knee to (see my ranting thread) and it's a grade A pain in the ***.

I'd get it checked out.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Kyle Edwards

Profile:  
Kris,

It's possible that you could have osgood schlaters disease (a condition where the patellar tendon starts ripping off the tibia b/c of tight hip flexors). In my opinion you should get this checked out as soon as possible since this injury is extremely difficult to get rid of. In the meantime ice your knee (20 min after exercise) and stretch out your hip flexors.

hope this helps,

kyle
Old 10-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Motrin is not the answer. Address the cause of the pain and you won't need to start taking drugs.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #5
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
What about Hip Flexor/ hip joint pain problems and squatting ? Is anyone familiar with exercises and or stretches to help alleviate
pain in the hip joint itself ?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Kris and Mikki -

The symptoms you describe may simply be the result of chronic muscle tension. If so, an intelligent program of mobilizing the tissues surrounding the affected joints may clear it up. What it will take to mobilize them depends on the source of the trouble.

If related to an injury (whether recent or old), the pattern of symptoms should be evaluated in person. If you want to take a shotgun approach instead, I suggest starting with the "Warrior Wellness" joint mobility program from RMAX (you can find into on my site), and also Kit Laughlin's "Overcome Neck & Back Pain" - a great resource on how to use PNF stretching, which I recommend at the end of your workouts.

If nutritional (possible imbalance in levels of calcium/magnesium/potassium), you would also need to address that. A good chiropractor can help with that, as might some other health pros.

Also consider finding a good therapeutic massage therapist that does sports massage. They will be able to get into the affected tissues and help you open them up for further mobilization.