CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-28-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
Micheal Rowland

Profile:
I am in the process of trying to purchase some of the equipment to begin my first CF workouts. I am basically starting with nothing.

I have plenty of room and am trying to decide between a TAPS system or power cage type system. I want something that is versatile so I may be able to hang rings. Can someone comment on the sturdiness of the TAPS system.

I have purchased the "Garage Gym" journal and trying to focus on the minimal equipment. Thanks for any imput or information.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
Personally I would opt for a power rack/cage. If portability isn't an issue then I would go for the cage. TAPS is great for portability but for versatility you can do pullups and rings but not much else. A cage/rack will give you more functions.

As far as your original question: I don't have the TAPS system but am purchasing one within the month. My reasons: able to tear it down and store in a closet.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Michael,

TAPS looks like a great system, but if I read correctly it is only adjustable to 9'... not a problem for most exercises but if you want to do muscleups using rings you may have trouble with head to bar contact. Ouch.

I'm currently assembling a simple removable double pipe system to fit over my power rack for MUs. I can hang my rings and perform a MU with my head coming between the pipes. Just a thought.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:26 PM   #4
Kevin Gerson

Profile:

I have the TAPs pullup system. It's very good. The top setting is indeed 9 feet. I have it set at that height. It's sturdy, but it does wobble a bit, more than I would have expected. It also wobbles on the lower settings.
Cheers,
Kevin
Old 10-28-2004, 03:46 PM   #5
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
Kevin,
Is the wobbling because it's not on a level floor or the system itself?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
Kevin Gerson

Profile:

I have it on the smooth and level concrete floor of my garage. I think it's the system itself.

kevin
Old 10-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #7
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
We just rented a new condo and there are some nice trees right outside. I jumped on one of the limbs and it was just the right height and diameter. I'll now be able to keep the $400 and use it for something else. Maybe I'll be able to afford the bumpers...:crazy:

I'll also be able to use a rope.... finally. The excuses keep being stripped from me.....
Old 10-30-2004, 10:31 AM   #8
Micheal Rowland

Profile:
OK, I've decided against the TAPS, but since I have no pullup system to start with I am confused as what to purchase a power cage, a simple pullup bar that mounts to the wall or a pullup station.

I looked at a power cage and it seems the normal height for home use is 7 ft, which would require me to bend my legs while doing pullups. I'm only 5'8" so I'm not sure if that's too short to put rings on and do those exercises. I'm not familiar with the ring training, however, I've read a great deal about them. What do most of you have for pullups??????????
Old 10-30-2004, 10:32 AM   #9
Micheal Rowland

Profile:
I do have an unfinished basement with 9ft. ceilings, but not sure of the stability or if something can be mounted from that???
Old 10-31-2004, 06:05 AM   #10
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Michael-

My CrossFit facility has three of these. We do lots of pull-ups

PROS-
Very portable. We move them around inside and outside.
Adjustable.
1.5" bar is easy on the elbows.

CONS-
Company is small. I had difficulty with response early in the process.
A piece was drilled incorrectly and thus we had to modifiy it some.

Base on my design and need for square footage I will likely purchase a couple more.

RUTMAN