CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
Nathan Kulas

Profile:
Re: You guys are crazy :/

CORRECTION: (missed my edit window) you should be able to hit 250 on squat. Thats 1.5x bodyweight, not 2x which is what I accidentally calculated for 330.

Also, at 5'7" you won't want to lose any additional weight if you are serious about strength. The bodyfat will come off as your numbers go up - and adding the run in will help cut it out faster.
27/m/68"/185# - 300 BP, 435 DL, 435 BS, 205 Clean, 100# wtd pull-up, 3:23 Fran, 22:50 Angie, 25 Cindy rds, 20:17 5K Row, 7:31 2K Row, 5:43 1 mile run
Old 05-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
Troy Becker

Profile:

I have to recommend the CrossFit Football or Conjugate CrossFit programs/templates/whatever. They are the only two effective combinations of strength and conditioning in my experience.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Gotta agree with the others on question #1 here also. In general, CrossFit workouts will give you a solid (and I mean SOLID) cardio workout, especially the Metcons. Workouts geared toward strength bias like CFFB and SS are designed to give maximum strength gains, but these will still tax your cardiovascular system. You will see overall endurance gains with time doing strength bias training.

The only reason I have thrown in extra cardio (primarily due to my more "advanced" age) is for a solid warm-up without going too hard prior to my CF workout.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #14
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
Workouts geared toward strength bias like CFFB and SS are designed to give maximum strength gains, but these will still tax your cardiovascular system. You will see overall endurance gains with time doing strength bias training.
Definitely reminds me of what Rob Shaul of Mountain Athlete once said: "There is no cost to getting stronger. There is a reason why the fastest CrossFit athletes are also the strongest."

Strength does introduce the potential for great speed and it's a matter of conditioning to capitalize on that potential.

To the OP: I agree with the advice that CFFB or strength biased CF work should be useful for setting up a solid base military grade conditioning. A great benefit of weightlifting for runners is that the greater bone density and tendon strength resulting from functionally based strength programs makes for greater durability and less susceptibility to leg injuries from running.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
Brian Van Vo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Thanks for the link to the Big 70s Program.
Hah, no problem =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Kulas View Post
You can stick with SL 5x5.
2) Running can be done immediately following your strength workout or on your off day. The suggestion is to start with 15 minutes of running following the strength workout, and to increase it by 1 minute each day until you are doing 45 minutes after your workout (10 weeks).
Aren't SL 5x5 and SS pretty similar though? Judging from what everyone else said about SS, it seems like I wouldn't be doing any running if doing SL 5x5.

Oh and I decided to do SS yesterday too lol, 3x5 feels a lot nicer than 5x5 >_>.

Hmm, I wanted to lose some weight because I read a topic about this guy who was able to bench 247 lbs, squat 330 lbs, and deadlift 429 lbs... a total of 1000+ lbs, all at a weight of 162 lbs. I figured it'd be a pretty cool achievement to do something like that under 160 lbs.

Seems like I'm going to be eating more and gaining mass though. Can anyone recommend a nutrition plan? Or should I just stick with paleo and eat more.

-EDIT-
Hmm, I should probably mention that I'm not joining the USMC quite yet. I have about two years before I even begin to apply for OCS... if that changes anyone's thoughts.

Oh and also thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Brian Van Vo; 05-14-2011 at 02:12 PM..
Old 05-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You're 5'7" and 165lbs. The last thing you need to do is lose weight. You just need to get stronger and add lean mass in place of bodyfat.

Don't compare yourself to that dude with a 1000lb PL total at 162lbs. He's probably been playing that game for awhile because those are pretty impressive numbers at that size.

If you're going to do SS, do SS. Don't try to add conditioning in. But as I said before, if you're trying to get selected for OCS, your conditioning and PFT score will matter. SS probably isn't the ideal program for you.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #17
Brian Van Vo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You're 5'7" and 165lbs. The last thing you need to do is lose weight. You just need to get stronger and add lean mass in place of bodyfat.

Don't compare yourself to that dude with a 1000lb PL total at 162lbs. He's probably been playing that game for awhile because those are pretty impressive numbers at that size.

If you're going to do SS, do SS. Don't try to add conditioning in. But as I said before, if you're trying to get selected for OCS, your conditioning and PFT score will matter. SS probably isn't the ideal program for you.
That was fast :O.

Well I was thinking about doing SS for the rest of this month to boost the numbers, and then start the Effective, Yet Simple program in June. Perhaps I should just start it now?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Jumping from one program to another < picking one program and sticking to it.

Might as well start on the 70s Big program now and save yourself the hassle of changing.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
Brian Van Vo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Jumping from one program to another < picking one program and sticking to it.

Might as well start on the 70s Big program now and save yourself the hassle of changing.
Ugh, that's true >_>. I've been pretty much jumping around programs lately.

Guess I'll start it now then, thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Vo View Post
Ugh, that's true >_>. I've been pretty much jumping around programs lately.

Guess I'll start it now then, thanks!
As others have said, SS, CFFB, and 70's big are all established programs that have a large amount of people doing them or have done them and have/will vouch for the results. The best bet is to pick one of them, do it for at least 2 months, and reevaluate. I wanted to do something similar when I first started mixing CF Endurance, Crossfit, and heavy lifting. I read up more on these forums and ditched that plan. Doing Crossfit Football right now and loving it - will continue another 2 months, making it 3 months total on CFFB and decide where to go from there.

My results thus far on CFFB have been

5RMs
Squat: 160 -> 200
Press: 85-> 105
Deadlift: 235-> 275
Powercleans: 100 -> 125(my form on these needs a lot of work)
1.5 Mile run: 11:48 -> 11:13 - happy about this, as the one worry I had was getting slower. Clearly not happening! Felt easier too.

Just pick a program and stick with it - if you'd like to add strength and build power/speed at the same time I'd say CFFB is a great program for that.