CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Smart Phone Apps effecting business?

So we just finished a scary month. Our Google Places listing got messed up and was showing our gym in two locations and two different phone #s. I discovered it after a couple of strange question from prospective members on the phone.

It appears that smart phone apps are pulling information from Google Places. I don't carry a smart phone because I believe it robs us from being in the moment, but I want to learn if I should be doing more to make sure my gym is showing up properly on the most popular apps.

What have you learned about this?

As a business owner can I control the information on the most popular apps?

How do I make sure my gym's information is up to date and accurate after a move or price change?

Thanks for any knowledge you can provide on this subject.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Eric McKinley

Profile:
Re: Smart Phone Apps effecting business?

Brenden,

Go to the google places for business and claim your business... you'll be able to update the entry with correct information from that point

www.google.com/placesforbusiness (SFW)

hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Eric McKinley

Profile:

Just a bit more information off of Google's site:

https://support.google.com/places/bi...t=1656746&rd=1 (SFW)
Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Thanks Eric the day I discovered the problem I submitted the fix. With Google it take a couple of weeks.

Based on the responses to this thread it sounds like we have no idea what apps people are using? Time for some research.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Joey Dussel

Profile:

We set most of that stuff up from the get-go. What I do to check up on it is open a new "private browsing" window of my browser (so that there's no cookies, computer knowing what you've searched for before, where you are located, etc) and do a search for my affiliate. Results are always surprising. I think a lot of services "crawl" web postings and find info to add to their listings. Like Google, DexKnows, OnlineYellowPages, whatever whatever. They all try to create their own database of the same info.

My strategy to make listings that contain the most minimal information (hopefully just website/phone number) so that people are driven to my site. That's is where the most up to date info is of course. And then that way I don't have to run around and change half a dozen sites/postings when I adjust the schedule or make an announcement.

Finally, we use Google Voice (hugely powerful tool--I can tell you more in a PM) and Google Calendar. Check out my website to view how we display our schedule using Google Calendar. It's super useful, easy, and awesome.

-Joey