CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Matt Wright

Profile:
Starting Strength and Crossfit

Hi! I've been Crossfitting for a few months now. I just bought "Starting Strength" and I have a few questions about how I should go about using Coach Rippetoe's program. Right now I am continuing with the WOD's and practicing lifting form on squat, deadlift, press and clean for warmup while finishing I read the book.

My question is should I do a strict SS program for a month or two, or split it up by incorporating WOD's into my weekly schedule. I read somewhere on this site that a WOD,SS,WOD,Rest day, repeat schedule works well. My goal is to gain enough strength to complete the WOD's with the prescribed weights.

Thanks for the help, and thanks to Coach Glassman for this site!!

Last edited by Matt Wright : 03-12-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength and Crossfit

Matt,

I did about the same thing. Rippetoe suggests doing Starting Strength (SS) as prescribed. Then try adding in 1 metcon (you can search the Strength mill forums Q&A with Rippetoe for the metcon workouts he suggests). Then, if you're still making linear progression, add in a second day.

If you do some searches in the above forum, you will find alot more information about it, I would suggest looking there.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

The "WOD, SS, WOD" template is not an SS template. It's a MEBB (Black Box) template where you do 1 day of heavy lifting in every 3 day mini-cycle.

SS is SS is SS. If you're going to do SS, I strongly suggest you do it as prescribed, including eating correctly to maximize gains. Do the first week or two without any WODs added. If after the first week or two, you're doing ok and feeling up to it, then add a add 1 WOD at a time (maybe every 1-2 weeks), as long as you're comfortable doing so.

The metcon aspect is easy to get back in the groove of once you're done with SS, so don't worry too much about "losing your abilities."

If you're only going to be doing form work, r ather than heavy lifting, then keep the WODs and incorporate the light form work into your warmups or something.

If you're going to do a WOD with SS, then do your SS in the morning, and your WOD in the evening, separated by 6+ hours or so. Remember to start light (both in weight and intensity), or you'll end up injured (like me!)
Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

The metcons will stifle your strength gains. You get strong while you're resting, not while you're lifting. If you want the best gains, you need to do only SS as described in SS and do as little extra physical stuff outside of that as possible, eat a lot of food / drink a lot of milk and get lots of sleep.

Don't worry about getting fat or losing your conditioning base. You won't get fat unless you eat WAY more calories than you're using (you should be eating a lot of those though..) and you can more easily lose fat and gain conditioning back than you can gain muscle and strength.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Matt, to answer your question, It Depends. What is you goal?

If it is to get stronger and put on some muscle mass I would suggest SS as written. If you are weak on getting the WOD done and not struggling from a met con perspective this is what I would do!

If it is to dabble at getting your strength up while continuing to up your met con you could mix it up and do a little of both. If you already have a good work capacity you could do CF a day or two a week and the SS program. However (what Gavin and Elliot said both apply)
Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Matt Wright

Profile:

I think I am going to do SS only for a month and see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes. I've already gained a few pounds of lean mass just crossfitting so this may do wonders!

I'm still reading the book so I'll practice my form with lighter weight as warmups for the WOD until I get done with the first reading of the book. Thanks for all the help!