CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:51 PM   #691
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic McQuaide View Post
Great job on all of the accessory work Alex!
Thanks Vic.

This is all in the planning for the 2019 open. Work on the muscles i need to help me achieve specific movements better.

I think this is good for the brain too, no stress just quality
Old 04-17-2018, 12:41 AM   #692
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and things are a little different today. The wife it seems may be suffering from Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) again but we are not 100% sure at the moment. I am going to have to check this again tonight and maybe fix it again for her as i did a couple of years back.

So today the plan was to snatch together plus another friend at the gym was going to join us but today i only have a new training partner as the wife will be doing her own thing.

Right from the start the wife did her thing and i i know is that she was working on stabilization exercises for her hips and knees...

Warm up

Just a couple of minutes on the rower

from there i continued to warm up for a day of snatch so i did alot of different things. all in all 40min i would say.

Snatch, 1 ,1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 (7 lifts)

So the plan for us both today was to warm up as far as we liked, do as many snatches and anything else before we decide it is game on. Then all you have if 7 single lifts. Time to put your competition head on.

We both took the weight to 60kgs/132lbs during the warm and hit multiple solid lifts.

We would alternate between lifts on our own podiums giving us time to rest and motivate each other when it was time.

Results:
GYM Buddy - 65kgs, 70f, 70f, 70, 72f, 72f 72kgs/158lbs

So he started out solid and almost had the first 2 failures, put his game head back on and hit reasonable 70kgs. First 72kgs was almost there, slightly off balance, second try was not good at all. Gym buddy was a little ****ed now.. So i told him he has this, make sure your routine is exactly the same as it always is and get angry/focused... bingo, this was by far his best lift, so solid.

Myself - 63kgs, 68, 71f, 71f, 71, 74, 76kgs/167lbs New PB

So i started off solid no problems at all. I then had 2 failures at 71kgs and they were so close but i know the reason why to! my left arm was not fully locked so i dumped the weight as i am not taking any risks. Third attempt, game head on and really focus on the lift and this time made sure my elbows were in the correct position, good lift.

So now i am down to the final 2 lifts. last week i hit 73kgs so now i decided to go for 74 which is 1 kg under my PB. This time i was really focused and my gym buddy could tell, i didn't hear or see anything else, position lift, bang... solid lift.

So what do i do now? what do i go for? do i take a risk?
2 years ago i hit my last PB at 75kgs so today i decided to go for 76kgs/167lbs. Focus, in the zone, lift!!!......... smashed it, great lift new PB by 2lbs. At last!!!

So once we were done with the above we both tried 1 extra lift that did not count in the results for today. Gym buddy just missed 74kgs and i actually overshot 78kgs and for the first time ever the bar went behind my head behind me. This must have been due to me not pulling corrcectly as my elbows can't have been in the correct starting position but it was a bloody good try.

And that was that for today...

short cool down with a light stretch and chatting about what could have been.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 AM   #693
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday - keeping on track - rest day as now we will only workout 4 days a week. Still feels weird.

Thursday and feeling quite good, wife was in a really good mood and looked quite fresh this morning.

Warm up
75 cal on the rower

PVC pipework and a general warm up with what was to comes and a light stretch. 30min total.

U go I go
Easy plan where we follow each other and do the same reps. One movement at a time and set up each movement after the previous one was completed.

21-15-9
Wall balls - 6/9kgs
Cleans - 9/20kgs DBs
SDHP - 20/43kgs barbell
T2B/K2C
Ring row/pulls
Deadlift - 24/40kgs KBs

In total 270 reps each. This had a good flow and got the heart going at different points. Going unbroken was hard at times but the wife pushed it and i had to follow her

Cool down
Stretch for 25min

and that was that.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #694
Alex Burden

Profile:

At last it's Friday

Woke up a little early this morning but feeling quite good. Feeling the aftermath of yesterdays workout, the whole of our upper backs are sore today which means yesterdays workout was a good one.

Warm up
No real warm up, some light PVC pipe work a light stretch while we were chatting with our gym buddy. At the same time we set things up.

Partner workout

Together complete the following:
200 cal Row (set to zero)
200 cal Ski Erg (set to 75 drag factor)

Both machines running at the same time and we could swap over whenever we wanted. The row was treated as rest more or less.

The row was completed in 18.15 and the Ski erg 20.20.

Now there is a reason why the ski erg took so long..... i broke 2 of them, yes 2 of them. The first one broke when the rope came off in the machine at 130 cals so i had to move to the machine next to it..... took 30 seconds to get that started and set the drag.... gave the 2nd machine some **** to make up for lost time.... after biting off 20 cals the rope snapped off... take 2 steps again to the ski erg next to that (set it up quickly) and started to bite off those cals before the wife took over for the final stretch.

To finish things off.
Partner workout for time, together In total complete 20 rounds of:

25/50 Du/Su's (all sets unbroken)
10 sit ups

Time: 12.32

Wife started on the sit ups and i started on the Du's, rotate once we were done...

Cool Down
stretch and chat for 25min

A great end to a great week, back Monday

Last edited by Alex Burden : 04-20-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:00 AM   #695
Alex Burden

Profile:

I was going to rest over the weekend but my youngest son wanted to workout with me he has actually grown an intrest in crossfit and wants to learn some oly basics... and of course I couldn’t say no. He had his best mate with to.

We warmed up and spent 60min on hang power clean and push jerk. Things went better and better over time. Took the weights up to 60kgs/133lbs. So now they have something to work on the coming week or so. They were both surprised on how easy I made it look but as I told them it’s all about technique.

From this my boy wanted to hit squats so we did that. Sets of 5 up to a certain point and the we hit doubles and singles. His mate hit a solid 100kgs/220lbs, I hit an easy 125kgs/275lbs and my boy hit 160kgs/352lbs with loads left in the tank.

Onto bench press close grip, sets of 6 and at the end 4s. his mate hit 70kgs/154lbs, I went to 90kgs/198lbs and my boy 100kgs/220lbs.

All in all 2 1/2 hours.

So my plan for Monday front squats and now I am not sure it we will do that or not.

My boy and hit mate seem to have enjoyed the session and want to do it again ASAP.

So the old man can teach the youngsters a think or two.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:48 AM   #696
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and back with the wife . I actually forgot to set the alarm clock last night but still woke up at 05.10... lucky for that. Little change of plan today as the intension was for us to work on front squats but as i worked out on Saturday we made it a little more fun.

Warm up

4 min on the rower

Then a light stretch and general warm up in preperation for what was to come. all in all 35min.

New Plan
15 rounds of:
1 DL directly into 1 Tngo squat clean. Take the weight as fas a you like.

The deadlift from the start is to help get the feel of things and tngo into the squat clean becomes a lot easier.

Wife:
20, 24, 30, 30, 30, 33, 35, 38, 38, 40, 40, 40, 40, 41, 42kgs/92lbs new PR

The wife was very rusty from the start as she has not done this in a while so she felt insecure. Her previous PR was a 43 power clean and a 40kg squat clean. After a while and a few tips she started to get into things. She has way more left in the tank for this as 42kgs flew up and she was easily under the bar. We need to do this more often.

Myself:
60, 70, 75, 80, 90, 94, 100, 104, 104, 104, 104kgs/229lbs, 100, 100, 100, 100/220lbs

I was feeling really good under the bar from the start. Pulling myself so quick under the bar and catching it perfect everytime. No problem driving the bar up out of the hole. 104kgs/229lbs is the heaviest i have gone in 2 years which is 96% of my 1rm so to hit 4 reps at that was great. I could have gone for 110kgs/242lbs but i decided to hit a few stable reps at this high percentage instead. I felt really confident and know that 110+ in coming sson.

Cool down

Not much time after the plan so a short stretch for 15min.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:30 AM   #697
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and feeling really today. Both of us slept really well and both of us were in a good mood. Looking forward to today as the gym buddy is back with us today .

So the wife had her own area right next to our gym buddy and me with her own set of blocks.

Plan - Snatch

Warm up
an easy 50 cal on the rower

Extensive warm up for the snatch, all in all 35min.

Snatch
Today was in 3 stages with focus on speed under the bar and popping those hips. The high boxes put the bar just below the hips.

Stage 1 - Snatch from high blocks 2 levels around 27".
With the blocks so high it did not leave much room for speed so you had to create it very fast to get under the bar. Keeping the weight low from the start 40kgs/88lbs we kept repeating the lifts over and over again in sets of 2. Once we were in the flow and the lifts were really smooth we raised the weight to 50kgs/110lbs and repeat the sets of 2 again. Filmed a couple of lifts for each of us.

You really have to pull on the bar, move out of the way of the bar and then pull yourself in under it again. You can tell if the bar is not moving vertical as your balance will be off when you catch it at the bottom.

This was a first for the wife using the blocks and over time she got the hang of things. She took the weight to 15kgs/33lbs. She was really solid all the way through.

Stage 2 - Snatch from blocks 1 level around 8".
Started with 50kgs and then moved to 55 and then 60kgs/132lbs. We started with sets of 2 but then went over to singles. During this time we also took the time to film each other so we have record but also able to see the progression.

Wife took it to 20kgs and she grew more and more confident. We both watched her and the lifts were solid. Had to make a small adjustment in her starting position as her bumb was a little low so when she started her first pull her bumb lifted 2" first. So in her set up she moved her bumb up that distance, she felt more compact and a little more in front of the bar with her shoulders... bingo... amazing lifts, so clean. She was on a high now:

Stage 3 - full snatch from the floor
So now we start to hit singles and boy we could see and feel how smooth everything was. We were all catching the bar really well at the botton of the hole. We did maybe 6-8 lifts each at 60kgs and they only got better and better.

The plan now was to increase the weight at a pre-determined interval but neither of us could move on until both of us make the lift.

62kgs/136lbs - we both did this nice and easy
65kgs/143lbs - gym buddy missed this first and then me. 97% good lift just wrong when we received it in the hole. No saving a bad lift. 2 solid lifts after the misses
68kgs/150lbs - I went first and made it and it felt so easy. Gym buddy missed it and got it second time round with a solid lift.
72kgs/158.4lbs - We both missed this by the smallest margin. Then we both pulled it off with 2 really solid lifts.

The wife was a getting tired and took the weight down to 15kgs again, started to feel good again and then took it to 17 and the 19kgs. She really underestimates herself as her lifts are really really good. She can see this on the films we took. She even said that 19kgs/42lbs was getting lighter and lighter as she felt more confident again.

Cool Down
Clean up, chat and a short stretch for 15min

A really good day today
Old 04-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #698
Alex Burden

Profile:

Rest day today but it seems that i am coming down with a cold and bad throat.

So no training for us on Thursday
Old 04-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #699
Alex Burden

Profile:

Feel like crap today as my cold has kicked in

No training Friday and on Monday, Tuesday is a holiday so back Wednesday.

Hopefully feeling better by then.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:18 AM   #700
Alex Burden

Profile:

Finally back in the gym after my manly cold that put me out of business for 5 days. This is the first time in 3 years i have been that bad. Kept smart and kept well fed and tried not to stress myself out.

So due to the fact that i was sick the plan was quite simple, keep the heart rate down and focus on the muscles.

Focus today = Back

Warm up
50 cals on the rower nice and easy
PVC pipe work and a general light stretch of the upper body

Back
Resistance band work where we did high volume face pulls and other accessory movements for activating the upper back, traps and rear delts. around 20min.

8 x 5 reps - Ring rows with a timer, 2 seconds hold at the top and 2 at the bottom. Really squeeze at the top.

15 x 2 reps - strict pull ups with 2 second wait at the bottom between reps.
2 x 5 reps - strict pull ups

From we went onto to do some core work.
6 x 10 spiderman planks
4 x 10 spiderman planks with 20 second plank hold after
The wife did 6 x 30 second planks as her hip was a little tight after the first 6 rounds

Cool down
A general upper body stretch for 20min

Today felt quite good and did not slap me in the face in any way. Full control the whole time and a good pump.