CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Travis Oneil

Profile:
Low back during 13.2

Im sure there are other threads pertaining to this but i want specific advice. First off ive always had some sort of low back injuries for which the chiropractor usually takes care of but this is different. I tried the 13.2 wod twice and both times after the 2nd round my lower back knotted up to the point that i could not guide the bar down any more. I stretched for an extended period of time especially my hips and hammys. The attempted the wod thursday and again saturday. Shortly after my back loosened up and i felt 100% again. I had kt tape on both times and took ibuprofen both times. The 2nd time i even took a tramadol before attempting. I went in to this wod expecting at least 9 rounds and got 7 so im extremely disappointed......This is my S.O.S.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Low back during 13.2

Sounds like deadlift technique issues. Did you do anything different to attempt to fix what could have hurt your back the second time?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Snir Golan

Profile:

i have the same problem when i let the bar bounce a bit on the floor. it throws a small shock to my back which can really mess me up. try to focus on more controlled movement when you bring the bar down and see if it helps.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
William Garrett

Profile:

Nothing against 13.2 or you, but what do you expect after 90 deadlifts @ 115lbs with high intensity and history with past back issues?

Im in the same boat, I have a had L1-L5 issues and still have some associated issues from time to time in my spinal erectors in my lower back.

My form is dead on, I can deadlift 500+, but high rep deadlifts set my back off like no other and encounter I severe tightness in my lower back pretty quick thereafter which make life difficult. I will have soreness/tightness for many days following.

Im not suggesting to lower your expectations, but realize that there are certain movements that will always cause some issues with your body. Once you know those movements, work with them and around them, but dont avoid them. There is nothing wrong with swallowing your pride and not doing a WOD either. Sh%t happens. You have to weigh the cost of doing a WOD vs the outcome of your personal health.

Some things that help me....

-Foam Roll for 10-15 min before/after anytime you do extensive loaded work involving movements that provoke issues
-Ice area after
-Foam roll before you go to bed
-Foam roll after waking up
-Naproxen/Aleve till the issue is manageable.
-Stretch area regularly

Learn to let the symptoms go away till you attempt that type of lift/movement again, otherwise your hendering recovery.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30

Last edited by William Garrett : 03-17-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
jeramy park

Profile:

Travis,
I could barely complete the second set. I used to DL 315 so I figured that 115 should be no problem. The issue is when you get tired your form really breaks down. I tried to pull the weight off the floor with a rounded lower back instead of pushing through my heels. My back is so sore now. I have been working the foam roller, heat & ice and stretching. I am probably going to take at least a week off of anything that involves lower back because it hurts to stand up from sitting in a chair. William Garrett offered some solid advice, just make sure that your back to normal before performing again or else you may just set your self back further.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Daniel Pope

Profile:

I found that a few of the members and coaches at our gym ended up with back pain after this WOD.

I think the issue with this one is that going through a deadlift properly takes time to accomplish successfully without hurting your back. The weight is light enough to want to roll through it very quickly. This ends up with subpar technique and a sore back.

On top of that you're coming from an overhead press, which can be a back breaker when you're fatigued, especially if you're overextending at the lower back. I wrote an article about this here:

As far as recovering, take some time off to rest. It may sound terrible but the best way to recover is to remove the offending exercise (deadlifts most likely in this case) and listen to your body and be smart about when to get back.

Goodluck, keep us informed.