CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Pain in anterior hip/hip flexors

So on, I think it was, May 24th I was doing a 5RM for HBBS. I've been really focusing on doing LBBS for a while now and felt like my quads were a bit weak comparatively so I switched to HBBS probably 2 weeks, maybe 3, before this incident. I also wanted to play with some shoes I modified to work as lifting shoes.

My max had been 245x5, and I was feeling really in the groove and confident (cocky?) and instead of being smart and going up minimally above my max, I decided to take a 20lb jump up to 265x5. Well, the first two reps, while tough, felt great. Then, once I started the ascent from the hole (which was near rock bottom, thanks to the weightlifting shoes) on the third rep, I think I felt a slight painless pop and then a squishing noise/sensation near my right hip. While it was painless, it certainly felt weird. I finished the third rep, with more hip and hamstring drive than quad drive due to the weird sensation, and thought I gave myself an inguinal hernia. I didn't really feel any pain immediately, I could just tell that something was off. I quit the squats for the day, and went to bench and felt some pain each time I sat down. It became gradually worse as time went on.

I went to my D.O. to get it checked out, thinking it was a hernia, and he said that while I have a very slight hernia, it's no worse than it was when he first found it a couple years ago. He said he thinks it's muscular. He couldn't tell which, but said to lay off of it for a month and see how it feels then.

I've had no bruising, some very mild swelling just right of my pubic area (no pain there though). Tenderness on a scale of 1/10 right over my hip flexor. Pain upon raising my knee up towards my chest. It's painless until I reach a few inches below parallel, at which point it's about 5-6/10 pain. What's interesting though is that I can bring my leg up farther without pain if it's externally rotated, while internally rotating it makes it much more painful. Bending over is painless. Putting my leg up on a chair and bending over at my hip is painful, as is bending over while sitting down to put on socks and shoes. Eastern squatting (on my heels) is painful right now, but I can western squat carefully with no pain upon ascent. This tells me it's certainly not a rectus femoris injury. I've also had some very slight pain (more of an annoyance) that radiates down my leg towards my knee. It's slightly painful to walk, but a little bit of movement seems to help the pain overall.

I'm thinking it's either an Iliopsoas strain, or Iliopsoas Bursitis. I don't think it's a groin injury since I don't seem to have any issue with adducting. I can press my legs together and I don't feel any pain associated with this injury.

So far my treatment has included icing as often as I can remember/get to it. That's been about once per day so far, keeping the ice on until the area goes numb. I've also been taking Ibuprofen when the pain is enough so that I want it. I have no been stretching it out of fear of doing more damage in case it's a muscular strain versus a tendon strain.

I have seen improvement since I injured it. It's very gradually getting better, it seems. I'd like to know if I'm looking at simply a hip flexor strain, or something worse. I'd also like to know if stretching, applying heat, and doing perhaps some isometric contracting would be of any benefit at this point.

Thank you to anyone who can help!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Pain in anterior hip/hip flexors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Brehm View Post
So on, I think it was, May 24th I was doing a 5RM for HBBS. I've been really focusing on doing LBBS for a while now and felt like my quads were a bit weak comparatively so I switched to HBBS probably 2 weeks, maybe 3, before this incident. I also wanted to play with some shoes I modified to work as lifting shoes.

My max had been 245x5, and I was feeling really in the groove and confident (cocky?) and instead of being smart and going up minimally above my max, I decided to take a 20lb jump up to 265x5. Well, the first two reps, while tough, felt great. Then, once I started the ascent from the hole (which was near rock bottom, thanks to the weightlifting shoes) on the third rep, I think I felt a slight painless pop and then a squishing noise/sensation near my right hip. While it was painless, it certainly felt weird. I finished the third rep, with more hip and hamstring drive than quad drive due to the weird sensation, and thought I gave myself an inguinal hernia. I didn't really feel any pain immediately, I could just tell that something was off. I quit the squats for the day, and went to bench and felt some pain each time I sat down. It became gradually worse as time went on.

I went to my D.O. to get it checked out, thinking it was a hernia, and he said that while I have a very slight hernia, it's no worse than it was when he first found it a couple years ago. He said he thinks it's muscular. He couldn't tell which, but said to lay off of it for a month and see how it feels then.

I've had no bruising, some very mild swelling just right of my pubic area (no pain there though). Tenderness on a scale of 1/10 right over my hip flexor. Pain upon raising my knee up towards my chest. It's painless until I reach a few inches below parallel, at which point it's about 5-6/10 pain. What's interesting though is that I can bring my leg up farther without pain if it's externally rotated, while internally rotating it makes it much more painful. Bending over is painless. Putting my leg up on a chair and bending over at my hip is painful, as is bending over while sitting down to put on socks and shoes. Eastern squatting (on my heels) is painful right now, but I can western squat carefully with no pain upon ascent. This tells me it's certainly not a rectus femoris injury. I've also had some very slight pain (more of an annoyance) that radiates down my leg towards my knee. It's slightly painful to walk, but a little bit of movement seems to help the pain overall.

I'm thinking it's either an Iliopsoas strain, or Iliopsoas Bursitis. I don't think it's a groin injury since I don't seem to have any issue with adducting. I can press my legs together and I don't feel any pain associated with this injury.

So far my treatment has included icing as often as I can remember/get to it. That's been about once per day so far, keeping the ice on until the area goes numb. I've also been taking Ibuprofen when the pain is enough so that I want it. I have no been stretching it out of fear of doing more damage in case it's a muscular strain versus a tendon strain.

I have seen improvement since I injured it. It's very gradually getting better, it seems. I'd like to know if I'm looking at simply a hip flexor strain, or something worse. I'd also like to know if stretching, applying heat, and doing perhaps some isometric contracting would be of any benefit at this point.

Tough to tell on the internet. List of possibilities inlcude hip labral tear, iliopsoas strain, bony impingement, see someone if not better sooner than later.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Deniz Firat

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Brehm View Post

Go to a doctor and ask for an MRI. Most hip labrum tears do have the same symptoms as an iliopsoas strain, or iliopsoas Bursitis. And, again, most labrum tears do get better with rest, but they don't heal and the pain comes back with activity. I know this because I am 12 weeks post of for labrum repair. See and doctor and take care of yourself. Get an MRI. Pain is not normal and working through pain isn't a wise thing to do.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

A good physical therapist or ortho should be able to use a physical exam to detemine what your issue is. I'm not sure if chiros were taught things like hip scouring testing for the labrum so I can't comment on that.

Don't need MRI without a physical exam first which may suspect a labral tear. No need to waste a lot of money on the front end of things.

Go see a professional!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Scott Alexander

Profile:

I agree with Steven - go see a professional.

I'm getting over a very similar episode of hip pain, albeit slightly more insidious in its onset. I struggled with it for a couple of weeks trying this or that without much improvement. I saw my PT on Friday, and after a physical exam, she was able to diagnose me, prescribe some exercises, and I'd say I'm already back to 90%. It's amazing what a professional can do in a short period of time, it's almost like they get paid to know how to quickly fix these problems...

Heal quickly.

Scott
Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
A good physical therapist or ortho should be able to use a physical exam to detemine what your issue is. I'm not sure if chiros were taught things like hip scouring testing for the labrum so I can't comment on that.

Don't need MRI without a physical exam first which may suspect a labral tear. No need to waste a lot of money on the front end of things.

Go see a professional!
Yes, chiropractors get extensive education in orthopedic examination procedures. My basic low back/SI/hip exam(s) always include hip circumduction and scouring. And unless the PT is a DPT, my experience is the PT's lack a lot of orthopedic diagnostic skills.

Last edited by Megan Zetter : 06-19-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Justin Gregory

Profile:

Josh,

I'm in the exact same situation. Weird pop in the bottom of a squat, but no immediate pain. Now there's been pain in the anterior right hip flexor for the past week, with the details pretty much exactly as you've described. I'm making an appointment to see an orthopedist, but in the mean time I'm curious to hear how your situation came out.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:

Hey Josh,

I just had my first surgery for labral tear and femoral acetabular impingement (have my other hip done in August). My symptoms were gradual and built up over a long period of time, but the most pain occurs when the leg is bent 90 degrees + and internally rotated. I literally could only rotate 1 or 2 degrees, due to the bone impingement. I also had a lot of catching/popping and pain when squatting deep with some limited range-of-motion.

I'm NOT saying this is what you have, but I would at least look into it, as it is a fairly new diagnosis/procedure, so not a lot of ortho's and docs are trained/knowledgeable on the subject. A google search of FAI (femoral acetabular impingement) will give you some good info. I also started a blog for my surgery that kind of goes into better detail about my symptoms and whatnot that may be of some help.

http://hipsnapstoamraps.blogspot.com/

Best of luck amigo!

-Derek