CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Mekenzie Lewis

Profile:
Vegetarian going Paelo :/...nervous!

Hey all,
This is my VERY FIRST POST! yay!
So Ive been CrossFitting for about 2 months now and I am becoming obsessed. Ive always been athletic, so aside from learning technique of oly lifts and getting back to more lifting/metcon rather than ALL cardio, Im pretty well adjusted!
My coaches have talked up how much diet matters when getting the "CrossFit bod" everyone wants. I am/was a vegetarian, so Paleo wasn't an easy fix answer for me, however, Ive been convinced-I am officially reintroducing meat into my diet. Id rather eat fish above all else though! Id like to limit meat if possible, but still get the benefit of Paleo......any advice??? Options are monotonous...eggs, nuts, shrimp and fish. And now whey protein shakes are off the menu!!
HELP ME! IM HUNGRY!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian going Paelo :/...nervous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekenzie Lewis View Post
Hey all,
This is my VERY FIRST POST! yay!
So Ive been CrossFitting for about 2 months now and I am becoming obsessed. Ive always been athletic, so aside from learning technique of oly lifts and getting back to more lifting/metcon rather than ALL cardio, Im pretty well adjusted!
My coaches have talked up how much diet matters when getting the "CrossFit bod" everyone wants. I am/was a vegetarian, so Paleo wasn't an easy fix answer for me, however, Ive been convinced-I am officially reintroducing meat into my diet. Id rather eat fish above all else though! Id like to limit meat if possible, but still get the benefit of Paleo......any advice??? Options are monotonous...eggs, nuts, shrimp and fish. And now whey protein shakes are off the menu!!
HELP ME! IM HUNGRY!
There are hundreds of varieties of fish and shellfish... how is that more monotonous than vegetarian diet?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
There are hundreds of varieties of fish and shellfish... how is that more monotonous than vegetarian diet?
I thought the same thing.

If you werent bored with being vegetarian, then now all you have to do is add dead animals to your healthy vegetables and fruits. I survive on meat once/twice a week, so dont let anyone try to convince you that you need it all 3 meals everyday to be strong and look good. Get benefits from paleo-ish by not eating things out of boxes.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Why are whey protein shakes off the menu?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Mekenzie Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Why are whey protein shakes off the menu?
I was under the impression Paleo excludes whey protein...yes?

Also, I guess its the exclusion of dairy that makes it seems more monotonous than vegetarianism. I used to use milk, whey protein, and greek yogurt as forms of protein.
Its probably more mental than I know...
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
I was under the impression Paleo excludes whey protein...yes?

Also, I guess its the exclusion of dairy that makes it seems more monotonous than vegetarianism. I used to use milk, whey protein, and greek yogurt as forms of protein.
Its probably more mental than I know...
Some people exclude it, some don't. I don't exclude it. It comes in very handy.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

If you are completely cutting out added sweetners (which is a good idea at first), not using whey protein is probably smart. However, whey isolates don't contain lactose (or such a miniscule amount) so they are not usually subject to the issues paleo has with dairy. The other option would be a quality egg protein.
That said, you sound like you just need to figure out how to eat real food, finding what works for you moreso than supplementing. Unless you end up truly feeling that animal products arew completely unpalatable, you should be trying to find whole food options rather than processed powder supplements.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Martha Lamb

Profile:

Consider grass fed Angus beef for a high quality, tasty protein source with balanced omega 3's to omega 6 fatty acids.
Many of us go "primal" instead of paleo and enjoy whole milk and cheeses. If you are not lactose intolerant this is a good option.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'd start by implementing it in small amounts. Cut up or in strips in salads rather than just a hunk of meat. Ground up in pasta or stir fries.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
My coaches have talked up how much diet matters when getting the "CrossFit bod" everyone wants. I am/was a vegetarian, so Paleo wasn't an easy fix answer for me, however, Ive been convinced-I am officially reintroducing meat into my diet.
There's no reason why you can't get the "CrossFit bod", whatever that is, on a vegetarian diet.

Position Statement of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

Position of The American Dietetic Association: Vegetarian Diets.

Nutritional Considerations for Vegetarian Athletes.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet: Vegetarian Eating.

Meeting Nutritional Needs on a Vegetarian Diet.

Veganhealth.org - Vegan Weightlifting: What Does the Science Say?

www.greatveganathletes.com

www.veganfitness.net

*All links wfs*