CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #21
Nathan Lancaster

Profile:
Re: ViSalus Products Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I looked at the company's website. It looks like a bunch of horse**** to me... Typical b.s. health claims and "anti-aging" formulas etc.

So, Nathan Lancaster, what CrossFit box do you train at? I think we should call and confirm they have a member by your name...
Wow, you guys are unbelievable. No where did I ever say "Hey go out and buy this product....." I posted a question wanting to get some advice and feedback on the product. I have never even used it. Maybe it was a good supplement. Judging from the feedback i'd say its not so I'm not going to take it. good grief.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #22
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Lancaster View Post
I'm 29, 6'4, 200lbs. Like I said before i'll do anywhere from 3 to 4 WODs a week. Each WOD day consists of an hour workout (with warmup, WOD, cooldown).
You now, I popped in WOD into the handy dandy internet search too and it still doesn't tell me really what you are doing for a workout. You following main site? CFFB? Some other box?

6'4" and 200 pounds, I don't think you need to do much leaning out. That is a personal opinion.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Lancaster View Post
Wow, you guys are unbelievable. No where did I ever say "Hey go out and buy this product....." I posted a question wanting to get some advice and feedback on the product. I have never even used it. Maybe it was a good supplement. Judging from the feedback i'd say its not so I'm not going to take it. good grief.
Welcome to the Internet, have a nice day.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #24
Craig Howard

Profile:

My rule of thumb: read the ingredients. If you cannot pronounce them, or have to look them up to know what they do to your body (not even considering how they interact with one another), then they're probably not good for you.

Assuming the shakes can truly make you lose weight fast then I don't think its too much of a stretch to assume that they may affect other internal mechanisms or organs in a negative way.

Eat real food, and if you must supplement, stick to two syllable, pronouce-able words, i.e., whey protein.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
Benjamin Hill

Profile:

Sorry to bump an old topic, but a buddy of mine has been trying to get many coworkers on the Vi-Shape protein mix, to help with losing weight, including myself. He kindly gave me the second half of his bag to try out the product, and here's my feelings on it, in addition to some more information about the company.

Apparently this is what I call a "chained" distribution, meaning anybody who buys the product can also make small pensions on the side by getting others to try the product, which incentives such as free products for every "x" number of people you get to buy the product. This is what first led me to be a bit suspicious.

Anyway, as for the product itself, there are a lot of ingredients, so I'll just list the first few (in order):
- Soy Protein Isolate
- Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin (from Fibersol)
- Whey Protein Hydrolysate
- Whey Protein Concentrate
- Dicalcium Phosphate

The nutrition facts are what got me a bit on edge:
- Calories = 90 (2 Scoops)
- Fat = 1g
- Carbs = 7g
- Protein = 12g

Now, to go along with the above serving size of 2 scoops:

"For Weight Loss: Drink 2 Vi-Shape shakes per day in place of 2 meals (breakfast/lunch). Have a sensible meal and healthy snacks."

Whoa ho hoo....

So you replace 2 of your meals with a 90 calorie shake? Then on top of that you eat a, "sensible meal?" Granted, I'll go with a sensible meal being under 500 calories, so in the end you're looking at a daily maximum of MAYBE 1,000 calories.

Well, no duh you're going to lose weight. You've got soy protein which takes longer to break down, in addition to the "digestion resistant maltodextrin," to make you feel full as long as possible. And it works. Believe me, I went through the half bag, and the product definitely made me not feel hungry. After 4 days and realizing I had maybe eaten 3500 calories max, I stopped using it.

In the end it's no different than many other weight loss supplements. It's just simply a minimal calorie shake designed to replace the majority of your calories each day, and you end up losing weight because of your body's 1,000-1,500 calorie deficit each day.

However, this is an elite fitness forum, not a starvation diet forum, and this kind of product is not going to help people improve their fitness. If anything, the primarily soy based powder will only starve your body's own recovery, limit your potential gains, and likely end up fatigued.

Any weight loss would likely only be temporary as well.

*Note, I am not a nutritionist, nor a product reviewer. These opinions are my own, and I may be wrong with some of them. Please feel free to correct me if wrong.*
Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #26
Chris Mason

Profile:

You are correct. It's a crap product and the truth is that eating very few calories as suggested is only a recipe for yo-yo dieting disaster.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
Brad Shifflett

Profile:

Been a while since I been on the forum. I figured I would give some feedback on the product. I been using it for over 60 days and been documenting my progress through my blog. I personally love it! When I started crossfit a few years ago I did the Paleo diet and worked out 6 days a week for about 3 months. My strength went up trough the roof. I did not lose any weight. I was watching what I was eating very detailed, but for some reason, it would not come off. In the past 50 days I lost almost 20 lbs by doing the shakes, eating my snacks. One thing one poster said is the calories being low, remember, that is with water only mix. I use almond milk, strawberries, bannanas, this bumps the shake to about 250calories, two of those, 500 calories then snacks at about 150calories twice a day I am at 800 before dinner. My dinner is normally 800-1000 calories. Then I workout burning about 350-500 calories a workout. I am very active now in my workouts. Running my 3 mile now in about 32min, a year ago it was 48min. I know the crossfit community frowns on supplement shakes and seems to only agree with the zone system. But, I am a firm believer in finding something that works for you. If it works, do it. If you have a problem with it, that is your issue. The other thing, so what if it is a MLM company? How do you think Crossfit got so popular? because of people talking about it, getting friends int he gym because you were passionate about the workouts. The difference is, your not getting a commission on your friends joining. We have to pay $1000 to get certified to be an instructor in Crossfit, who gets all that? That is one of my goals is to become an instructor! One thing the 90 day challenge has taught me is to set my goals and do it, this is getting my friends off there lazy butts and working out, cutting out the junk food and eating healthier. I truly think for myself, this is a great combo that is working! Bash and hate the product all you want, the end result is all that matters to me.

Brad
www.justaloadofbs.com
Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
Ron Thurston

Profile:

Use half a scoop of Optimum Nutrition's Cake Batter Whey Protein (yes, they sell it, check Amazon). Significantly cheaper in cost, better in quality, same taste, even less calories with more protein, which leaves room for more real food!

On top of that, you won't have to listen to the annoying sales pitches about why you should buy (and sell) Visalus.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

To me, the fact that it's a MLM (ie pyramid) scheme..er program raises one huge red flag. No matter the quality of the shakes there are going to be better options out there for cheaper. MLM products have to be more expensive in order to pay the sellers.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #30
Krista Blackburn

Profile:

So glad I came across this review. I have been toying with the idea of doing ViSalus for a while, because a large number of my friends have used it and lost a LOT of weight. I'm 5'2 and 263, so it is definitely tempting. I've only been CrossFitting for right at 2 months and lost 6 pounds, so the frustration is starting to set in.

All that said, I have feared it for the same reasons as the last few posters, the pyramid factor makes it all seem a bit disingenuous to me. If it was that great of a product, why no sell it in the store instead of having people ram it down their friend's throats with every mention of a desire to lose weight.

I came to this forum specifically because I am struggling with weight loss along with CrossFit, and was hoping for some direction. Going to check out the info on the Optimum health protein powder on Amazon after work today.

Thanks for being able to review the products, and specifically the ingredients for me. I don't know a lot about nutrition, but the first 5 or so ingredients are processed and don't occur naturally which means my body wasn't made to digest them...so, We'll try something else!

Krista