CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #131
Jeremy Argo

Profile:
Re: how did you find crossfit?

When I deployed in 2005 I changed my mindset toward being more functionally fit. I still hadn't heard of CrossFit but I was tired of bench pressing and curling. After the deployment and the movie 300 my wife mentioned something about this 300 workout. That led to a google search, youtube, and crossfit.com. I was hooked after a couple of months when DL's came up and I hit 300lbs, and only stopped because I ran out of weight (Sports Authority). It was the fastest gain in the shortest time. It's now been just over two years. I haven't posted a workout in over a year. It's been one injury after another, and all my own fault with poor form and going too hard too soon after injury. My latest, an MCL sprain has actually slowed me down, and wasn't crossfit induced. I'm giving it the time I need, and using CrossFit as my rehab, which is still harder than most people workout, and the progress is slow but coming. When I deploy again to Kuwait soon I'll hit it hard for the 7+ months and see what happens. But in a smart way. Even with the injuries I was still in better shape than before, and better than a lot of others I know.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #132
Rolf Whitney

Profile:

Started working out...cause I needed it...after a detached bicep operation...and was trying to find some things for the football coach on the internet to use in the weightroom. Googled "slosh pipe" on the net, and ended up talking to the guys at CrossfitMaui, who turned me on to the Koolaid. That was back in October of 2007, and things have not slowed down since! Thanks, Crossfit! And special thanks to Crossfit Maui!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #133
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Back in September, I took a look at where I was and what I was doing (and isn't it funny, I don't remember now what triggered that bout of introspection...), and decided to take my pursuit of MMA, and thus my fitness, seriously. I was 31 years old, already a bit long in the tooth for getting started; if I was ever going to get in the cage, now was the time.

Flash forward to late November, when I was training at a badly run and now defunct MMA gym and doing split routines at the globo. I ran into a guy there who mentioned CrossFit, as an extension of a discussion we started on MMA.

I checked out the website, tried a couple WODs, realized I must be doing things wrongly (not even approaching proper intensity, as it turns out, to say nothing of form), and found a local affiliate.

Now, six months later, I'm stronger, faster, and better conditioned than I have ever been in my life. I didn't even know what a deadlift was when I started, and now having dropped 20lbs I can pull 330lbs. I'd never done a proper squat, and now I can back squat 235lbs. I'm on my way to muscle-ups, marginally decent oly lifts, and someday, double-unders (my current nemesis).

I'm also working towards what I've realized I want to do with my life; help others discover and benefit from CrossFit. Just two months to go 'til my Level 1 Cert.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #134
Ryley Breiddal

Profile:

I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (2600 miles from Mexico to Canada) and one afternoon happened to walk with a nice young lady named Rachel. She was doing the same, and our paths crossed for only a brief time, but her enthusiasm for Crossfit stayed with me for months.

Once I finished the trail (having lost pretty much all muscle mass not directly related to walking), I immediately started doing WODs by myself. I've regained ~40lbs of muscle over the last 2 years and been essentially injury free.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #135
Nick Lavato

Profile:

My buddy who trains MMA told me about it in July of 07. I looked at the website and laughed thinking their was no way in hell I could do any of that. I finally cherry picked a few WOD's and jumped in full bore in Sept 07.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #136
Joe Bernard

Profile:

In July 2007 I saw one of my friends do pull-ups and then running to do bench presses, alternating between the two and sweating alot. Asked him what he was doing and he said Crossfit. Didn't think anything of it until the guy who runs the gym told me about it. I gave it a shot the next week and was instantly hooked.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #137
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

In February 08 my boss bought us all memberships to a gym. I hadn't broken a sweat in three years! I was on the treadmill and one of the trainers came up and explained what CrossFit is and invited me to come try it (our gym is a combo-general fitness and PT facility and CrossFit affiliate.) I came to a class and was instantly hooked. I haven't taken more than 2 rest days since. I am 100% addicted to CF and in the best shape of my life.

Thanks Caleb!
Old 05-29-2009, 05:15 AM   #138
Jimi Miller

Profile:

I read about it through some sort of random web surfing, if I remember right, a digg.com story about 20 bookmarks everyone should have. First workout was Cindy and the rest is history.