CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:
Wrist pain when lifting

Long story short, I'm an IT 'professional' (last part open for discussion by those who know me ) and back in 2006 I had a bilateral carpal tunnel release, as well as a first dorsal tendon release on my left hand.

Pain-wise it absolutely worked; prior to the surgery the pain/numbness was so bad I couldn't hold the push-up position. This from a guy who could do 70+ pushups for the military APFT. Post-surgery I could do them.

However, when I do movements requiring my wrists to be at anything approaching a 90 degree angle (front squats, etc.), either I feel a bit of a 'tearing' sensation from my left hand, or the nerves/tendons/bones/etc. impinge to the point where I have to stop because it's painful.

I can, of course, do things to get around it - e.g., work on shoulder mobility (have had 3 shoulder surgeries) and by lifting my arms more, decrease the wrist angle. But some days it works...some it doesn't.

So...aside from more compound movements and the like, any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Phil Washlow

Profile:
Re: Wrist pain when lifting

Have you tried the band distraction mobility piece from mobility wod? It helps you stretch your wrists without the impingement. Definitely makes a difference for me.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Bear walks, crab walks, handstands. Wrist wraps. Voodoo band therapy. Rice bucket.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Did the surgeon ever clear you to resume crossfit style workouts? Just curious because the one who's going to be able to answer these questions would be the surgeon.

I think you're right with the mobility as long as you are clear for it. Better shoulder mobility will definitely ease the stress on the wrist.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
Have you tried the band distraction mobility piece from mobility wod? It helps you stretch your wrists without the impingement. Definitely makes a difference for me.
Didn't even know about it...so obviously I'll need to look into it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe
Bear walks, crab walks, handstands. Wrist wraps. Voodoo band therapy. Rice bucket.
Have the voodoo band; will look into it. Will also do more of the above - didn't think about that, but makes sense - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Pope
Did the surgeon ever clear you to resume crossfit style workouts? Just curious because the one who's going to be able to answer these questions would be the surgeon.
Good point. As far as clearing me to resume workouts, basically, he said if I can do it, knock myself out. LOL He did let me know there would be some residual pain and nerve damage (e.g., I can't touch the tips of my pinky and thumb to each other while keeping both perfectly straight on my right hand), but other than that, I couldn't make it any worse.

Quote:
I think you're right with the mobility as long as you are clear for it. Better shoulder mobility will definitely ease the stress on the wrist.
I am indeed clear for it...and in fact I've been mobilizing the crap out of my shoulders and lower back in the last week and have seen a difference, if for no other reason than I can lift my shoulders much higher and by doing so, put less strain on the wrist.