CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Louis H. Poulin II

Profile:
Pendlay NEXGEN Bearing class vs. Bushing class

I've been looking at the site and doing a *little* research on the internets and I'm just not sure what the real pros and cons between these bars are. Any insight?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
William Valdez

Profile:
Re: Pendlay NEXGEN Bearing class vs. Bushing class

Wow! Pendlay improved their bars big time. In my opinion The Bushing class favors powerlifting, and The Bearing class favors the Oly-lifts. Not just cause of the bearing and bushing, but also cause the construction of their steel. Read their specs.
I like the fact that they're zinc plating their bars that's the problem I had with my Pendlay bar - the chrome chipped and flaked, but its mechanically sound.
I think the B & R (Burgener & Rippetoe) made by York distributed by Rogue is the best for crossfit. The other one is the York North American Weightlifting Training Bar also top notch.
Goodluck!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Jason Jamora

Profile:

Daaammmmnnn it. Seems like every time I buy something a new model comes right out Those new bars sound awesome.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Louis,

Id like to answer your questions, but can you be a little more specific about what you want to know?

Glenn
Old 06-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Louis H. Poulin II

Profile:

Glenn,

Wow! Thanks for the reply. Basically I'm going to be replacing an el cheapo Dick's Sporting Goods bar. I will be focusing on Starting Strength lifts, never much into Olympic lifts except for a change of pace perhaps. I will be power cleaning regularly, however. I'm also not rediculously strong, I'm 160 lbs. and while I can squat 315 and dead 350, I'm not going to be aiming for powerlifting, either. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Louis
Old 06-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Louis,

For general lifting plus regular powercleans, the HD bar is probably your best bet. If you had said the the full Olympic lifts were a major part of your training, or that you planned on competing in OL at some point, I would probably have answered differently.

glenn
Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Tim Crawford

Profile:

Now get out there and lift some heavy weights crazily!!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Good call. Within the past week, I have watched a 19 year old male clean 440lbs, jerk 440lbs, and front squat 507lbs on a Pendlay bushing bar. I have also watched an 11 year old girl snatch 48kg and clean and jerk 60kg on a Pendlay needle bearing bar. And, a 10 year old beginner push his max from 28kg to a heroic 32kg attempt on a Pendlay bushing Junior or 10kg bar. My 7 year old son William also cleaned 26kg and failed in the jerk on the Pendlay "william" bar, the 5kg aluminum bar a couple of days ago.

And, a 61 year old woman lift 41kg for a double on the snatch, on a Zhangkong bar, because her granddaughter was using the Pendlay womens bar.

No matter what bar you are using, get some weight overhead!

walk up to something that you have never lifted before, and put it over your head. no greater feeling in the whole world, IMO. doesnt matter if you are real good or a beginner, doesnt matter if you are 10 years old or 60 years old. lift it up, hold it up there, and look around and be proud. greatest feeling in the world, try it and you will see.

glenn

Last edited by Glenn Pendlay : 06-06-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #9
David Gray

Profile:

Glenn, not to hijack the thread, and I''m not trying to put you on the spot, but I've heard comments about the harshness of your knurling on the older bars (nothing on the new line yet). Not cheesegrater, but rougher. Would you take a crack at why some might say that? My experience is all with York knurlings. And is this something that's changed on the new bars?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
Louis H. Poulin II

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Good call. Within the past week, I have watched a 19 year old male clean 440lbs, jerk 440lbs, and front squat 507lbs on a Pendlay bushing bar. I have also watched an 11 year old girl snatch 48kg and clean and jerk 60kg on a Pendlay needle bearing bar. And, a 10 year old beginner push his max from 28kg to a heroic 32kg attempt on a Pendlay bushing Junior or 10kg bar. My 7 year old son William also cleaned 26kg and failed in the jerk on the Pendlay "william" bar, the 5kg aluminum bar a couple of days ago.

And, a 61 year old woman lift 41kg for a double on the snatch, on a Zhangkong bar, because her granddaughter was using the Pendlay womens bar.

No matter what bar you are using, get some weight overhead!

walk up to something that you have never lifted before, and put it over your head. no greater feeling in the whole world, IMO. doesnt matter if you are real good or a beginner, doesnt matter if you are 10 years old or 60 years old. lift it up, hold it up there, and look around and be proud. greatest feeling in the world, try it and you will see.

glenn
Glenn,

I'll be placing my order on the 17th once your new bars are available. Thanks for the help!