CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Jason Watson

Profile:
My first MMA class!

One word comes to mind when thinking about my first MMA class. MANHANDLED!! Im 6'6 190, and I felt like a damn rag doll at times.

I also learned a couple of important lessons. Firstly it seems like the only way to condition yourself for grapling, and kickboxing, is to graple and box. Im still fairly new to crossfit, but I am verry dedicated, and I really thought that the CF training I have been doing would help to get me through an MMA session. WRONG! I was almost tottally gassed after my second round of wrestling. Then there was shadow boxing, more wrestling..etc.. I was discouraged, and frusterated with my conditioning. Also I found out that I have a weak *** NECK!! I realize now that that is a muscle group that really has to be worked in order to deal with the stress that head locks, and wrestling in general put on it.

Im feeling a bit discouraged right now, but Im going to be persistant, and see how it goes. Maybe I wasnt cut out for MMA, but im gonna find out, the hard way!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: My first MMA class!

Crossfit helps. You'll get better as time goes on. I haven't tried MMA, but I've tried BJJ and wrestling. Muay Thai next...

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 01-21-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Derek Simonds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Watson View Post
One word comes to mind when thinking about my first MMA class. MANHANDLED!! Im 6'6 190, and I felt like a damn rag doll at times.

I also learned a couple of important lessons. Firstly it seems like the only way to condition yourself for grapling, and kickboxing, is to graple and box. Im still fairly new to crossfit, but I am verry dedicated, and I really thought that the CF training I have been doing would help to get me through an MMA session. WRONG! I was almost tottally gassed after my second round of wrestling. Then there was shadow boxing, more wrestling..etc.. I was discouraged, and frusterated with my conditioning. Also I found out that I have a weak *** NECK!! I realize now that that is a muscle group that really has to be worked in order to deal with the stress that head locks, and wrestling in general put on it.

Im feeling a bit discouraged right now, but Im going to be persistant, and see how it goes. Maybe I wasnt cut out for MMA, but im gonna find out, the hard way!
Brother everybody is gassed after their first BJJ / No Gi / MMA class. I promise you.

Just keep your chin up, recover well and keep going it will get easier the more relaxed you get.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Part of the reason you're gassing is because you don't know techniques and how to do things efficiently, so your body is trying to use everything to make up for it. As you get technically better you'll get better at using strength and energy when it's necessary and not otherwise. Your CF conditioning is helping you, whether you realize it or not - you'd have been even worse off without it. And, when you do get the technique down and learn to be efficient, your CF conditioning is going to catapult you forward.

Regarding the neck - it will get stronger fast, just out of sheer survival of having it manhandled all the time. What you're feeling is a very normal sentiment for anyone starting out in BJJ or MMA.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Check out this website for neck exercises: http://www.leehayward.com/neck.htm wfs

The wrestler's bridge at the bottom is a good one, use your hands to assist when you first start out though.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
Jason Watson

Profile:

I tell you what, I feel ALOT better already with all of your feedback. I thought maybe it was just me. Looking forward to my next class. Thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
Jake A Shannon

Profile:

Becca is really right. When you learn how to relax while wrestling it will be easier. CrossFit is sufficient for conditioning but to learn how to wrestle you have to wrestle. Also check out Lifeline USA, they have a band device called Tuf Nex that is a good beginner/rehab tool.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #8
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Hi mate,

Im in exactly the same boat. I had my second class only last night. Both times I got schooled by a guy who weighs only 80 kg (i'm 100 kg)!

I spent hours after each class trying to figure out how the heck someone who weighs 20 kg less then me could completely dominate me. It's definitely technique- he is fantastic.

I must admit that we were both gassed at the end of grappling- I was fit enough to make him work for his wins, thanks to Crossfit.

I find the whole thing quite fascinating, it really is like a chess game. Good luck in the future mate and I'm sure with training we'll both get their eventually!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:45 AM   #9
Jason Watson

Profile:

Hey Mailman. Glad to hear that im not alone here, and you are all right, without the CF that I have been doing I would have definatley been much worse off. Good luck back at you Mailman!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Jason Parent

Profile:

Becca speaks the truth. It generally takes about 3 months for guy to relax and have the gradual epiphany of "Ah-ha" that is how I do it and relax.

It also takes about that long to get use to some one trying to squish you. I tapped my first night because the guy took side mount. (Hey, He was 4 M&Ms away from 300lbs & he put his hand over my mouth. I thought I was gonna die.)
New guys have a spongy feel when you stack them.