CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #2771
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:
Re: Sharknado

Looking into different shoulder press stuff trying to get my press lift # up. Found a video of a guy pressing with bar on his back n shoulders with a snatch ish grip width. Anyone know about this at all? Or at least the name of the movement so I can research it fully

Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #2772
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lichtenwalner View Post
Looking into different shoulder press stuff trying to get my press lift # up. Found a video of a guy pressing with bar on his back n shoulders with a snatch ish grip width. Anyone know about this at all? Or at least the name of the movement so I can research it fully
That's commonly known these days as a Klokov press. Can do it strict, push or even down in the catch position as a Sotts press variant.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #2773
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Andrew, I have no idea. I know my friend Danny posted a video of Simone Biles doing Double Back Layout with a half twist and stating that because of the forces on the back and landing, gymnasts need not squat.

And off it went. It's hard to calculate the exact ground force on landing besides takeoff. Ive heard 8-14g's. So 680-2000+ lbs of force.

Sprinters deal with some similar forces but their training area isnt sprung which probably provides overload vs just sprinting on a track or ground.

Trampolines have a similar effect on the body with much less force.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #2774
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Before Klokov, it was just a BTN Snatch grip press. I have a huge discrepancy with what I can Do strict or push press in snatch grip. Might just be I was nursing a shoulder or I have a hard time starting it. Not really a problem from a BTN jerk grip. My left shoulder likes to be wonky until Db presses clears it up.

But Klokov is a BAMF who does them so...

Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #2775
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

So will the klokov help me with my standard press? I'm looking for a good assistance. I was thinking sotts but it gets to my lower back after a little and is rather not strain that If I can avoid it

Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #2776
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Bill - I think I found the sport for you.

http://www.usawa.com/ wfs

Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #2777
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I wil go out on a limb and say probably not Cody. It is a tough lift, but the loads will be far from maximal compared to normal pressing. It might support your endevours and increase shoulder power, but it comes at the cost of being a tougher lift with regards to mobility and having very active scapular retration while pressing that way.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #2778
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Bill - I think I found the sport for you.

http://www.usawa.com/ wfs
looks interesting

Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #2779
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I wil go out on a limb and say probably not Cody. It is a tough lift, but the loads will be far from maximal compared to normal pressing. It might support your endevours and increase shoulder power, but it comes at the cost of being a tougher lift with regards to mobility and having very active scapular retration while pressing that way.
That's what I'd say. I use BTN sn-grip push press and sn-grip Sotts press to work on my snatch lockout, the standing Klokov press feels bad on my shoulder though. Don't think it has helped my pure pressing though.

Weighted dips would be a good choice for press assistance for one example. Bar dips preferably as the rings lessen the load you can use because of the extra core/balance required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
looks interesting
Check out the rulebook. There are so many weird lifts in there. No-Thumbs, One-Arm Deadlift is actually a sanctioned lift.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #2780
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lichtenwalner View Post
So will the klokov help me with my standard press? I'm looking for a good assistance. I was thinking sotts but it gets to my lower back after a little and is rather not strain that If I can avoid it
Can you do front and side dumbbell raises? Those will help with your press.