CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Seth Hall

Profile:
Preparing for CrossFit - 525+lbs

Hello everyone, so I'm going to be moving to an area to go to CrossFit with my uncle who has been doing it for a couple months. The whole purpose of the move is for weight loss and to be in that area where I can have someone constantly hold me accountable. I put 525+ because I honestly have no clue what my weight is, though about two years ago is was at 508 and I know I've put some on since then.

Im extremely nervous to say the least. I've always been big and have gone to gyms in the past but just kept to myself. CrossFit seem more social and this has me kind of freaking out because I pretty much know Im going to be the biggest guy there and I do constantly process and analyze what others are probably thinking of me.

So far for the past month I've changed eating habits to include more healthy foods, work out when I have some free time which isnt much between two jobs and school. Since I am sitting most of the day I try to do basic stuff and I have one of those resistance bands I use while sitting around. Will do pushups and

If any of you are in Springfield, MO maybe I'll see you around.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Greg Spaight

Profile:
Re: Preparing for CrossFit - 525+lbs

Good luck on your journey and congrats on taking a big step for positive change.

50% of this will be 90% mental.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Jennifer Munzner

Profile:

Seth, while I won't be in Springfield with you, I'll be cheering for you! I think one of the greatest things about Crossfit is that once 3,2,1 go hits- everyone's on their own- so you'll be doing the work that everyone else is. I can't imagine that anyone would be anything but supportive, you're making awesome life changes and there will be a community of Crossfitters sweating right along with you. Good luck on your journey. Great times ahead!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

Congrats on choosing to start your journey and making the changes to assist in your success. Two things I wanna bring up, first, dont worry about being judged. Technique critiqued, yes. But judged no. The vast majority of people will be proud to see you there, giving everything you got. I wont even be there and I'm proud as hell of you. Don't worry about others, everybody is on their own journey, with their own goals, and their own prs. Do you, crush it, don't give up. no matter how slow you need to go, your lapping every single person on the couch.

Second, the number on the scale is bull****. Plain and simple. Put the scale away. Weight is relative. Abercrombie models think 300+lb powerlifters are fat. Powerlifters think models are anorexic. Worry about the weight on your bar, and eat smart and the number on the scale will take care of itself. Just don't give up. Keep us updated on your progress. Start a log over in the workout logs forum and ill be sure to subscribe.

I'd say good luck but you don't need it. Ill say good job instead since by taking the first step you've done more than millions of others.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Can't really add much to Cody's message. Other than congrats and go get it!

Keep us posted on your progress
Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

I encourage you to listen to the advice on getting rid of the scale. Measurable increases in strength, endurance, increased energy, and how your generally feel physically will be good measures of progress. Be patient with yourself and don't compare yourself to everyone else. Get rid of the sugars in your diet, keep doing your WODs, sleep well and allow time for recovery between WODs.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Bentley Skeie

Profile:

Seth,

Welcome and I won't repeat all the good advice you've already received.

Just remember two things - "better than yesterday" and "you are lapping those people sitting on the couch"

Keep us updated!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Tonya Martin

Profile:

Welcome to CrossFit, you will find a lot of support and encouragement from the CrossFit community.This is going to be an amazing year for you, please keep us updated on how you are doing.

**Keep a journal**
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Seth Hall

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the replys. I'm really looking forward to getting started after the replies I'll be sure to document how everything is going as I make progress.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Jeff Higgins

Profile:

Welcome! I'm new to Crossfit and new to these forums, but I feel you! I'm 360lbs, and I had a lot (all?) of the same fears of joining these hardcore athletes and those that are training like it.

All I can say is, at my box, people are amazing. No judgments for my weight, just support. Not just from coaches, but others as well. I'm really shy, so I don't talk to anyone there unless they talk to me, but people have been going out of their way to be friendly and encourage me to stay.

So, I'm with you. Stay, keep us posted, don't worry about scales like they said, and it's amazing how quickly you'll notice differences.

Just think what an amazing transformation story you WILL be!