CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
Sheesh.

I lost my balance on a squat attempt (~280lbs)for today's CFT and got stuck with my rump on my plyo box. The only thing left to do was to dump it backwards. It landed on the box with a sort of "whoomp!" noise and stayed there - bent down at both ends.

Here's the picture (completely safe!):
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikesusa...77669453933970

Is it normal for bars to do this? And: is there anything good to do do with bent barbells??

Peace,

Mike

(Message edited by mikesusangray on May 09, 2007)
Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Yeah, if you drop a bar and the plates don't make first contact, there's a good chance it's going to bend.

You can still use it, but it will be less efficient, especially if it rolls in your hands.

Bent bars are the suck!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
Wow!

Glad to hear you were not injured.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
it now kind of looks like a "Buffalo Bar" from IronMind. w/f safe link.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Mike Gray

Profile:
Ah ... there we go - I now have a buffalo bar! Or at least the poor man's version thereof ... But I might as well try doing a few squats with it!

BTW, I bought a new bar at lunch to finish my CFT ...

And I leaned that it isn't a good idea to rush a heavy lifting WOD. I had to get to work and was trying to get up the weights waaay too fast. I can be happy that the worst thing that happened was a bend in a $35 barbell.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Are they supposed to bend even when loaded like that? Consider a better bar. Check out C. Burgener abusing this bar with some heavy high pulls (w/f s):

http://www.mikesgym.org/gallery/vide...bn%20pulls.mov

Strong dude.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
I believe that bar Casey is using in that video is a Pendlay bar, but not sure. Just called him to see for sure, but unfortunately got his answering machine! I hope it is, as standing up to that kind of abuse would be great advertising!

Seriously though, NO bar, mine included, can be expected to be dropped across an object in the middle of the bar and stay straight.

I have seen several high quality bars dropped across pins in a power rack with significant weights, something that SHOULD bend most bars, yet stay straight. I have an Ivanko powerlifting bar that has had that happen to it on a couple of occasions, and is still arrow straight, which is far and above the abuse that a bar should be expected to handle. This is a testament to the quality of the Ivanko bar, it is tops in its field and for its purpose. But dropping a bar across a narrow object in the middle of the bar puts far more stress on the bar than even dropping on pins in a power rack. NOTHING is going to stand up to that for long!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Casey just called me back... hate to say it but in fairness I must, not a Pendlay bar but an old York bar from the 1970's...

I have said I think on this forum and to many, many people in private conversation that these old, plain steel, brown and rusty York olympic bars from the late 60's and 1970's are great bars!!! I have several of them myself. They are available every now and then from gyms going out of business or garage sales or such, for paltry sums of money.

I had a guy call me a while back that was trying to decide between buying one of my new bars or just getting this "old, rusted and brown" bar from a friend for $25. I asked him to describe the bar, and it turned out it was an old York similar to the ones I have. I told him that he had no business spending $300+ dollars with me when he had access to this older bar for $25. I explained to him how to take it apart and oil and polish the bushings, and now he has a very nice and functional bar for almost nothing... One that will take the kind of abuse you saw Casey dishing out in the video!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
Kurt Holm

Profile:
Glenn, you are a great guy!

I have a Chapman Womens bar, an Eleiko Training bar and a Pendlay Youth bar (and some generic stuff as well).

My next bar will be a Pendlay!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
Paul Findley

Profile:
Glenn,
We emailed a while back, that bar in Denver craigslist was in fact a rusty York for $10. I told my buddy about our conversations since he lives much closer, he scored it. Thanks!
Paul